Red Cross Ensign #37 Questions

slinger100
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77b
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. 1600 circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Ensign 37, Florence Hot Blast 153, Favorite, others
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by slinger100 » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks selectove. Where is this stove?

slinger100
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Ensign 37, Florence Hot Blast 153, Favorite, others

Post by slinger100 » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks Selecstove. Very nice pic. Where is this stove and is it for sale?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 6:44 pm

and what of the others ??

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 6:59 pm

I think their is a Red Cross posted in the museum thread here Antique Parlor Coal Stove Museum (it was for sale under $5k, not sure if its still available)

[email protected]
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross,Garland,Abrams Cox,Acorn,Favorite,P P Stewart,Round Oak,Floyd Wells Kalamazoo,Radiant Home
Other Heating: Wood & Gas Antique heat Stoves

Post by [email protected] » Mon. Jan. 06, 2014 12:52 pm

It is mine. Here it is before restoration. Wings are red because. I bought them years before I bought the stove. I blasted and painted them with cheap paint to seal & hung em from the rafters in wait for this stove. Got the stove home & couldn't wait to get them on. John

Attachments

IMG_1107.JPG
.JPG | 74.3KB | IMG_1107.JPG

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Mon. Jan. 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Great job selecstove! Could you please post a picture of the grates? Mine are missing and im not positive what to look for in a replacement.

EarlH
Baseburners & Antiques: Favorite 261, Columbian Joy A2
Coal Size/Type: Favorite-16" firepot; Columbian Joy-12"

Post by EarlH » Mon. Jan. 06, 2014 8:07 pm

The Red Cross Ensign represents the very best Base Burner that can be made. It is of beautiful appearance, handsomely decorated in out new plain ornamentation.
Fire pot is constructed almost straight and is easily removable through upper doors. Removable magazine, double swing cover, crew draft register, large ash pan and other exceptional features.
Great heating power with an economical consumption of fuel.
No. 36 Single Heater; No. 37 Single Heater; No. 38 Single Heater
No. 136, Double Heater; No. 137 Double Heater; No. 138 Double Heater
Diameter of the Fire Pot
Nos. 36 and 136 12 1/2 inch Nos. 37 and 137, 14 inch Nos. 38 and 138 15 1/2 inch

Every Red Cross Ensign receives a rigid inspection before leaving our factory. All parts must be perfectly fitted and mounted to produce an absolutely clean and dust-proof heater.
The flues are scientific in construction and do not involve any excess heat travel. A direct flue to the base burner thoroughly heats every corner of one portion of the stove on the down travel, and on the return the remaining portion is likewise heated. All other so-called superior flue systems are but talking points as excess flue strips, divisions, etc. are absorbing vital heat that would otherwise be radiated as a heating power.
When a double heater is used, our method of construction guarantees a full volume of heat for the room above and easy regulation of heat at all times.

So there you have it. That's from the 1920 Red Cross catalog and you now know what a wonderful purchase you made, and you can look down your nose at all others! It honestly looks like a nice stove. I wish they would have put weights and prices in the catalog, but for whatever reason, they didn't. There was a certain amount of inflation going on in the early 20's and that may be why. They wouldn't have to re-print the catalog as often, and could just send out price sheet instead.

Attachments

DSCF1284.JPG

Red Cross Ensign

.JPG | 115.1KB | DSCF1284.JPG
DSCF1295.JPG

Red Cross Ensign

.JPG | 153.7KB | DSCF1295.JPG

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Tue. Jan. 07, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks Earl. Once I find the center grate and finish the new mica windows it will be ready to fire. It hasn't been used much if at all. I can't find any signs of ash or soot in the stove at all. The gentleman I bought it from said he picked it up decades ago at a flea market in New York and just used it for decoration. The only problem is that over the years a few parts were misplaced. When this treasure hunt is over I should have an almost new condition Red Cross baseburner.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 07, 2014 9:36 am

That looks like it has quite a large magazine in that picture. It'll be interesting to see what kind of burn times it gets.

Paul

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 07, 2014 9:43 am

slinger100 wrote:Thanks Earl. Once I find the center grate and finish the new mica windows it will be ready to fire. It hasn't been used much if at all. I can't find any signs of ash or soot in the stove at all. The gentleman I bought it from said he picked it up decades ago at a flea market in New York and just used it for decoration. The only problem is that over the years a few parts were misplaced. When this treasure hunt is over I should have an almost new condition Red Cross baseburner.
Slinger,
Have you tried calling Woodsman's Parts Plus ? When I called, I found out that they have many grates that are not listed on their website, but could be looked up by stove model.

Paul

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Tue. Jan. 07, 2014 10:02 am

Paul, I was just looking at their website. I will call them and maybe I'llget lucky.

EarlH
Baseburners & Antiques: Favorite 261, Columbian Joy A2
Coal Size/Type: Favorite-16" firepot; Columbian Joy-12"

Post by EarlH » Tue. Jan. 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Is it the whole grate you need, or just the dump part? I have a stove that has a very similar grate and I can measure it and see if it might work. Tomahawk Foundry can re-cast one. You might be able to get one of the guys that has a mate to your stove so send it out to them. I can't imagine it costing over $150 to get those parts re-cast. Many of those grates were similar from stove to stove. I suppose they used what worked and the patents must have run out on most of those designs by the 1890's or so. Usually though with Tomahawk, if I send them something on a Thursday, I'll have it all back the following Friday. They are very good about getting stuff done.

TotenFleisch

Post by TotenFleisch » Thu. Oct. 31, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I know I'm necro bumping this thread, but it is the best shot I have of finding information and parts for my Red Cross Garnet.

I recently bought this stove locally without knowing much about it. It has been converted to gas, and had the coal grates and pot, etc removed. The coal hopper has also been trimmed and sealed. Not sure if the nickel et al is original, but the stove is otherwise in good shape. The gas has been piped into one of the side match slots that was trimmed open a bit more; I think this is possible to be covered if to be converted to coal again.

Can anyone with this stove identify the missing parts that I'd need? does anyone have any castings they'd consider selling?
So far its looking like I need to locate:
Coal hopper
fire pot
fire grates

Anyone seen one of these Garnet stoves? Any idea on values?

Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Oct. 31, 2019 7:03 pm

TotenFleisch, wait about 8 or 10 days.

Maybe something will pop up.

Slparrish99

Post by Slparrish99 » Sat. Jul. 23, 2022 9:59 pm

I recently bought at auction a red cross ensign 137 stove in upstate NY at an estate sale that I'm looking to have refinished. Any suggestions on reputable companies or ideas where I can look to restore myself.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”