Red Cross Ensign #37 Questions

slinger100
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77b
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. 1600 circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Ensign 37, Florence Hot Blast 153, Favorite, others
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by slinger100 » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 8:02 pm

Hello everyoun. I am looking at a Red Cross Ensign #37 stove for sale. Does anyone have any knowledge of these stoves. Thank you. Matt

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 11:11 pm

These are very high end, expensive base burners. One found in good condition would be a prize indeed. Of course we need the usual pictures to help you if you can provide them.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jun. 21, 2013 6:01 am

The only one I am familiar with is the one at Barnstaple Stoves and he wants $8500 and that is waaaayyy above my budget.

http://www.barnstablestove.com/html/baseburners.htm

I do have a RC Garnet 48 that is in excellent condition but is apart right now as summer chores have overwhelmed me.

Red Garnett 48

Sorry that is all I have right now. All I know is that this stove kept a 4000sq ft leaky old house in Rochester NY warm for many years. Attended by a 92 year old lady who refused to be connected to gas despite the screamings from her son who maintained it religiously and constantly worried about her freezing to death. Did she die of cold? no, she tripped over the cat (true). One point here is that is was a working stove until 2 winters ago. If yours is a barn find expect a lot of rebuilding costs that need to be budgeted for. What sized house are you heating and how big is the fire pot. I realized after I got mine that is it would be way too powerful for serious use in my application. That is OK as it was planned to be a collectible only and I doubt I will ever switch it on but do you need to consider that one?

They are made exceptionally well made stoves and I love mine. The Ensign does seem to be a lot fancier in design and if that is your taste then I wish you well. I would be interested to know if there are any differences in how they burn i.e. structural features that make yours a superior Anthracite burner. Are you planning to burn anthracite or bituminous? I'm sure these will burn both very well. Mine is a true baseburner with lots of mica windows and a hopper for extended burn time. If your stove is at Dougs (Barnstaple) he will explain all those features to you and what they do. If you managed to find one privately need help that is what this board is for. Send pics, we love pics and someone here will guide you through it as we have boatload of REAL experts. All these types of stoves really punch out the heat so they are still excellent investments even if they are expensive to buy.

slinger100
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Ensign 37, Florence Hot Blast 153, Favorite, others

Post by slinger100 » Fri. Jun. 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Okay. I picked up the Red Cross today for a few hundred dollars. The suspended firepot and the center grates are missing. The rest of the stove looks good. I am hoping to be able to find the missing parts somewhere. Any ideas? If I am successful this will be a really great stove and a great find. Matt

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Jun. 21, 2013 11:08 pm

slinger100 wrote:Okay. I picked up the Red Cross today for a few hundred dollars. The suspended firepot and the center grates are missing. The rest of the stove looks good. I am hoping to be able to find the missing parts somewhere. Any ideas? If I am successful this will be a really great stove and a great find. Matt
You must have done something very thoughtful and good for someone because it just came back! Please, please post pic's.....please I'm begging y....................
hey this is Alfie the dog hurry please hurry....ruff! ruff!

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Jun. 22, 2013 3:16 am

If you follow stove rebuilders threads on this board they are replete with owners who have had their "bargains" at say Stovehospital or in the garage for years waiting on parts and your missing parts are the wear items on most stoves. Others seem to post and then you ever hear from them again. As for lazy old me, I want a stove that is totally complete and is known to run and I worry least about the condition of the nickelling. I fact bad nickel is a good thing. I never seem to find that cherry worth $10,000 for next to nothing the pros beat me to it, so bad nickel is all I can afford but I still have a good usable stove. I know that I can get that done one day if my lottery ticket comes in. Even when complete and perfect I still know I can overfire so I need to have these parts you are missing recast and the originals put away. Thus is what the experts do around here. They seem to buy as good as they can afford and even pay pros to rebuild them for them as in their acres of scrap they are more likely to have your parts. It's not that they have money to burn they know simply something we don't.

So the CN credo says, blindly follow the experts and eventually you get to know what they know if you are lucky.

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Hello, I will post some pics soon. It has been a very busy weekend.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jun. 23, 2013 9:40 pm

I had inquired about this coal heater also:
1882 Red Cross Ensign No 37_5.JPG
.JPG | 116.4KB | 1882 Red Cross Ensign No 37_5.JPG
Like was mentioned, suspended fire pot and center grate are missing. :(

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Mon. Jun. 24, 2013 8:13 am

Yes thats it. The nickel is polishing up good and i'll replace the isenglass soon. Im figuring worst case scenario. I'll use it for decoration while im searching for the parts. Or maybe install a gas log set in it until then.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jun. 24, 2013 9:09 am

Looks very similar to mine. LOL.

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Mon. Jun. 24, 2013 9:47 am

I like the base burner design on this stove. It looks to be a very efficient way to get the most from your coal. Hats off to our forefathers. Matt

Wanna Bee
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post by Wanna Bee » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 9:13 am

What diameter is the missing fire pot? I have two 14" being cast and could always order three. :idea:

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 12:30 pm

PM sent.

[email protected]
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross,Garland,Abrams Cox,Acorn,Favorite,P P Stewart,Round Oak,Floyd Wells Kalamazoo,Radiant Home
Other Heating: Wood & Gas Antique heat Stoves

Post by [email protected] » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 3:23 pm

This is a Red Cross Ensign #37 with all parts. Ready to go another 100 plus years. I really like the design and art work of the nickel on this stove.

Attachments

IMG_1905.JPG

Red Cross Ensign #37

.JPG | 178.7KB | IMG_1905.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Welcome, And wow - that is a beauty. Thanks for the picture.

Is it yours ? If so please post more pix of it !!!! :)

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”