My Glenwood #6 Is on the Way!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jun. 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Just seal it with furnace cement like the rest of the stove is sealed, but first try a piece of 6 inch stove pipe on it for fit. You may need to alter it a bit.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Fri. Jun. 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Smokeyja wrote:So I received the elbow. It's in great condition but the seam needs to be sealed . I'm thinking of welding it with silica bronze after I sand blast it . How would you normally seal these ? It is marked L.C. 115 USA on both sides . This mean anything to anyone?
I wouldn't weld that seam. Not a good geometry to make that elbow one piece in a cast iron. just take apart the two halves, sand blast and reassemble with furnace cement and the four bolts.

Just my 2 cents worth...

dj

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jun. 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Don't weld it. Leave it the way it is.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Fri. Jun. 07, 2013 9:33 pm

dlj wrote:
Smokeyja wrote:So I received the elbow. It's in great condition but the seam needs to be sealed . I'm thinking of welding it with silica bronze after I sand blast it . How would you normally seal these ? It is marked L.C. 115 USA on both sides . This mean anything to anyone?
I wouldn't weld that seam. Not a good geometry to make that elbow one piece in a cast iron. just take apart the two halves, sand blast and reassemble with furnace cement and the four bolts.

Just my 2 cents worth...

dj
I just really don't trust furnace cement that well. It's like every year it becomes brittle and breaks apart . Maybe your right though .

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jun. 07, 2013 10:02 pm

You have to get the right furnace cement. You have to get a good quality cement that has a fiber bonding agent in it. Such as Hercules or Hearthstone, both brands I have used and would recommend.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Jun. 08, 2013 8:41 am

wsherrick wrote:You have to get the right furnace cement. You have to get a good quality cement that has a fiber bonding agent in it. Such as Hercules or Hearthstone, both brands I have used and would recommend.
Thanks for that tip William! I have been using rutlands . I am not a fan of their cement at all. I will order what you have suggested. Do prefer tube or can/bucket for your application?

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Jun. 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
wsherrick wrote:You have to get the right furnace cement. You have to get a good quality cement that has a fiber bonding agent in it. Such as Hercules or Hearthstone, both brands I have used and would recommend.
Thanks for that tip William! I have been using rutlands . I am not a fan of their cement at all. I will order what you have suggested. Do prefer tube or can/bucket for your application?
Rutland cement, don't use it, if you have any at home throw it away. As far as the other goes I use the buckets because you need to stir it up well first. Also, the surfaces need to be perfectly clean before you put them together.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Jun. 10, 2013 10:09 pm

wsherrick wrote:
Smokeyja wrote: Thanks for that tip William! I have been using rutlands . I am not a fan of their cement at all. I will order what you have suggested. Do prefer tube or can/bucket for your application?
Rutland cement, don't use it, if you have any at home throw it away. As far as the other goes I use the buckets because you need to stir it up well first. Also, the surfaces need to be perfectly clean before you put them together.
Same for the connection of pipe between the stove and elbow? Or should I try and use a small rope?

Here is a photo of the elbow .

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Jun. 11, 2013 6:13 pm

I certainly would use small rope gasket around it : never crack, easy and clean to install and dis-install...

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Tue. Jun. 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Nortcan uses gaskets on everything... Be careful though if you decide to go that way, the flanges have to fit - OD on one end and ID on the other...

dj

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Thu. Jun. 13, 2013 9:07 pm

I have an elbow just like that came with my Modern oak 116...it has several cracks all the way through so you can see daylight...is it possible to repair by brazing or welding?

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jun. 25, 2013 9:22 am

PJT wrote:I have an elbow just like that came with my Modern oak 116...it has several cracks all the way through so you can see daylight...is it possible to repair by brazing or welding?
Yes . Nickle or silica bronze. If you would like me take a look at it send me some photos through my website under "contact me " and ill tell you whether or not its salvageable . I can fix it too if it is .

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Sep. 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Ok so I started restoring the elbow and I'm getting to the point that I can hook the 6 up .
image.jpg

Cleaned outside

.JPG | 126.5KB | image.jpg
Muriatic acid does wonders ! As you can see a few post above the rust
image.jpg
.JPG | 130.1KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 113.5KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 115.9KB | image.jpg

top top

Post by top top » Mon. Sep. 09, 2013 3:50 am

Smokeyja wrote:
I'm sure you know this but thought it worth mentioning. Be sure to cook it in hot water and baking soda to kill the acid, otherwise it will continue to rust away. The hot water expands the metal opening the pores so the soda can get inside where the acid is hiding.

FYI for future use, for a better way to clean up small metal parts refer to Michael Faraday's theory of electrolysis. Here are some cast iron grates I restored using that method. My rectifier outputs 48 volts @ 27 amps so the process goes pretty quick. You can use something much smaller, it just takes a little longer. No need to deal with acid and the problems it brings.

Attachments

rust removal 001 [640x480].jpg
.JPG | 85.9KB | rust removal 001 [640x480].jpg
rust removal 004 [640x480].jpg
.JPG | 84.8KB | rust removal 004 [640x480].jpg

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. Sep. 09, 2013 4:40 am

top top wrote:
Smokeyja wrote:
I'm sure you know this but thought it worth mentioning. Be sure to cook it in hot water and baking soda to kill the acid, otherwise it will continue to rust away. The hot water expands the metal opening the pores so the soda can get inside where the acid is hiding.

FYI for future use, for a better way to clean up small metal parts refer to Michael Faraday's theory of electrolysis. Here are some cast iron grates I restored using that method. My rectifier outputs 48 volts @ 27 amps so the process goes pretty quick. You can use something much smaller, it just takes a little longer. No need to deal with acid and the problems it brings.
Ya Umm... I need more info on your set up (photo's and htf I set it up and what components I need)... make a thread please or PM me the specifics as I need to do this soon!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”