1942 Andes Conservator

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Tue. Apr. 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Does anyone have any information on these stoves. I found one cheap and am considering picking it up to add to my collection, however, I don't know much about them. I am aware of the Andes coal cook stoves, not the coal stoves. Anyone have any good pics of one of these stoves. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

The snowman.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. May. 01, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm not familiar with this particular model. Do you know what it looks like? Most stoves from the late 20's onward were circulators.

the snowman

Post by the snowman » Wed. May. 01, 2013 8:27 pm

wsherrick,

The pics the owner sent me are on the very dark side. This is the best I can do with the pics. I cleaned them up in one of my photo programs, however, Poor detail quality. It looks like it is loaded from the top with a round burn pot. It appears to have a bimetal thermostat on it. I need to ask the owner to send better quality pics. I have attached the pics cleaned up the best I can. I hope this helps. I figured since I would be in the area the stove is located, I would take a look at it and if it wasn't bad I would purchase it and add it to my collection. I will be in his area for only a couple hours delivering an order for one of my customers so my window of opportunity is narrow. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

The snowman.

Attachments

andes.jpg
.JPG | 18.3KB | andes.jpg
andes1.jpg
.JPG | 27.3KB | andes1.jpg
andes2.jpg
.JPG | 29.1KB | andes2.jpg

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Wed. May. 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Snowman,

That's not a very old stove. Might throw out a lot of heat though.. When you get to see it, be sure to check out the grates well and make sure they look to be in good shape. Check the seal around the bottom door. Where is the air feed on this thing? I didn't see one on the bottom door. Is the only air feed on the top? If so, it's not a good anthracite burner... Must be something I can't see in the photos... Get some dimensions also. What's the firepot diameter and depth?

Let us know what you find. And get some better photos...

dj

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Fri. May. 03, 2013 7:03 am

During the war we needed to get off oil in homes so many companies produced coal stoves for domestic heating. This one is similar to the original Warm Morning model produced at the same time. It is likely a civilian model of the U. S. Army #4 barracks heater. The are not pretty but they heat like crazy and are better looking than an oil truck in the driveway.

the snowman

Post by the snowman » Fri. May. 03, 2013 7:55 am

stovehospital:

Thanks. I am still waiting to hear from the owner concerning more pics and a time frame as to when I can take a look at the stove. I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress and the condition of the stove. If the stove is in good shape I would still purchase it. Thanks again.

The snowman.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”