Glenwood 109 Venting Questions or Any Coal Stove

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri. Apr. 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi, I am new here and am interested in coal and especially base burners. The problem is venting a coal stove I have a old masonary fireplace ( un lined but in good shape ) I am planning to install a flex type liner, but am wondering if I could run a older base burner into this set up through the firebox in the fireplace? I have done some searching here and cannot come up with that setup. Also most outlets on the stoves look too high to make it into the fireplace. I have found a Glenwood 109 for sale but not shure if it will be big enough for me. My house is 1800's ( newer windows but poor insulation) and 3,000 sq feet Oil prices are crushing me. Even if I go with a newer stove I want it to be hand fed. Thanks for any suggestions

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Apr. 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The 109 is a small stove and could not heat your house adequately.

If your chimney is in the interior of your house you may not need any lining at all.

To install an antique, the usual way is to cut into the chimney above the fireplace. The modern stoves like a Hitzer 50 93 would probably fit right in.

Where are you located?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri. Apr. 19, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm in Massachusetts, This is a old masonary fireplace early 1900's I wouldn't use it without a liner, (No clay) just brick. I really don't want to make a hole over it.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. Apr. 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Franco had a typo...

"If your chimney is in the interior of your house you may not need any lining at all.
He meant to say that if your Chimney is on the exterior of your home you don't have to be as concerned about it being lined (the reason is because any coal gases would route to outdoors anyways).

I personally would just get some of that heavy gauge black pipe and run it right down the chimney and secure it at the top with flange to keep it centered and pop a cap on it, use a peice of dura rock as a blocker at bottom! $100 BOOM done! :lol:
But thats me... no profesional is going to say to do that. They will say it will last 2 years (It lasts 5-10 if you cap it good, which is approx. the same time that $2k stainless will last ya burning coal) ;) Remember... the 100 years our for-fathers burned those baseburners they never had stainless liners :lol:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”