St. Nicholas Base Burner

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 9:12 am

Has anyone considered the St. Nicholas base burner the Bryants have listed for $1,800.00 on their web site?

I emailed them last night, and they sent me some more photos. They measured the fire pot and said it was 10".

They also confirmed it was a base burner.

Thought I'd ask - Chris

Attachments

St Nicholas coal stove 001.JPG
.JPG | 77.4KB | St Nicholas coal stove 001.JPG
St Nicholas coal stove 002.JPG
.JPG | 80.8KB | St Nicholas coal stove 002.JPG
St Nicholas coal stove 006.JPG
.JPG | 94.2KB | St Nicholas coal stove 006.JPG
St Nicholas coal stove 007.JPG
.JPG | 89.2KB | St Nicholas coal stove 007.JPG
St Nicholas coal stove 008.JPG
.JPG | 81.6KB | St Nicholas coal stove 008.JPG
St Nicholas coal stove 012.JPG
.JPG | 86.5KB | St Nicholas coal stove 012.JPG
St Nicholas coal stove 015.JPG
.JPG | 102.3KB | St Nicholas coal stove 015.JPG
St Nicholas stove 001.JPG
.JPG | 85.9KB | St Nicholas stove 001.JPG
St Nicholas stove 003.JPG
.JPG | 100KB | St Nicholas stove 003.JPG

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 8:36 pm

That's certainly a beautiful stove! A 10 inch pot would be too small a stove for my house, you know better what you might need for BTUs...

dj

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 8:51 pm

In a Maine winter a 10" pot would not keep the outhouse warm.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/Whitehill ... thouse.jpg
Last edited by coalnewbie on Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 9:02 pm

coalnewbie wrote:In a Maine winter a 10" pot would not keep the outhouse warm.
hahaha, yea but Mainers are used to it and need only to find a bear or moose to slaughter to cover themselves in fur while they rip the heads off their live lobsters and cook em' up on a stick :lol:

Thats a beautiful barrel on that stove and id trade it for my 14" in a heartbeat.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Thems fightin' words.....

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 9:46 pm

It's definitely too small for what I need.

Plus, it's out of my price range right now.

I've got two stoves coming already.

I was curious as to why no one has bought it. I think they've had it a while.

Donna said they don't get base burners often.

Chris

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Apr. 06, 2013 9:53 pm

chrisbuick wrote:It's definitely too small for what I need.

Plus, it's out of my price range right now.

I've got two stoves coming already.

I was curious as to why no one has bought it. I think they've had it a while.

Donna said they don't get base burners often.

Chris
The reason is most people are unaware that their is a difference in the operation, function and efficiency of a base burner VS. a pretty parlor stove like an oak

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Apr. 07, 2013 6:49 am

I had read on an older post or a totally different venue that the St. Nicholas stove had a limited reproduction in the 80's in Portland Me. I am curios if this contributes to the legacy or the value, I do not know but would be interesting to find out!
Last edited by michaelanthony on Sun. Apr. 07, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Apr. 07, 2013 4:03 pm

I did consider that stove but went with the Kineo that you can see in some of those photos. I was chatting with William and he said that might even be a reproduction of the St. Nicholas stove but was not sure. It sure is a pretty stove either way but must weigh a ton as it is all cast iron, no rolled barrel on that one.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Photog200 wrote:I did consider that stove but went with the Kineo that you can see in some of those photos. I was chatting with William and he said that might even be a reproduction of the St. Nicholas stove but was not sure. It sure is a pretty stove either way but must weigh a ton as it is all cast iron, no rolled barrel on that one.
Wow, all cast barrel must throw some heat, and it looks smart! Road trip! :) I am all of 2 hrs. from there and I know it will take me a couple hrs. just lookin' at there stuff and :drool: hopefully there is a mall close by that the wife can can get lost in. :D :( cha ching!

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Apr. 08, 2013 1:06 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
Photog200 wrote:I did consider that stove but went with the Kineo that you can see in some of those photos. I was chatting with William and he said that might even be a reproduction of the St. Nicholas stove but was not sure. It sure is a pretty stove either way but must weigh a ton as it is all cast iron, no rolled barrel on that one.
Wow, all cast barrel must throw some heat, and it looks smart! Road trip! I am all of 2 hrs. from there and I know it will take me a couple hrs. just lookin' at there stuff and hopefully there is a mall close by that the wife can can get lost in. cha ching!
I am driving there right after I get out of work Friday morning. It will take me about 7.5 hrs but will be worth it to see my new stove and to check out all the other ones as well. I hear they have over 1,000 stoves there. I am drooling already! :drool: :drool: :drool:

You are right, that cast iron barrel must throw some serious heat!
Randy

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Apr. 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I just found another thread on here for another St. Nicolas stove.
A 1980 Reproduction

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Apr. 14, 2013 5:50 pm

I was at Bryant's this weekend and saw the St. Nicolas in person. It is a pretty stove with all the detail in it. This stove is all original, including the fire brick. The stove in the photos is indeed an original, they took me out back and showed me a reproduction one and there is no comparison in the castings. It is small but I am sure it would put out some nice heat for a small area.

jonnoh

Post by jonnoh » Thu. Oct. 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi, I'm Jon and a complete newbie to hopefully successful anthracite burning and would appreciate any help you can offer. I hope my questions don't sound too stupid. A bit of history: I first tried to burn anthracite about 40 years ago in Connecticut where I had been burning wood for a couple of years in my god awful Shenandoah "wood/coal" box stove. I bought the thing because the old timers hanging around the Lehigh oil company (that also sold bulk anthracite) assured me it would heat my basically tiny house, a 450 sq ft trailer on a full same size foundation, with minimal tending compared to wood. It turned out to be like burning rocks. A couple of the old timers offered a lot of advice, so I overloaded my Subaru Brat and went back to try again. Long story longer, I only had one successful burn. It happened by mistake. I lit off a wood fire early in the morning, shoveled in some coal, went to get ready for work, and came back and filled it up and set the dampers, realized it probably would just go out, left for work. If the pipes freeze, so be it, nothing more I can do. After work about 10 hours later, I came back and I couldn't believe it! The house was the warmest I'd ever seen it. It lasted about a week, tending the stove as described by the old timers. It was a wonderful, easy, satisfying week of enjoying just spacing out with a few beers in front of the stove. Then it happened... I had to be out of town for a few days and of course the fire went out and I never got it to burn properly again. I bought a Consolidated Dutchwest catalytic "wood/coal" stove and happily burned wood from then on. Gave the coal and the Shenandoah away to separate needy friends. Now (this must be boring you to death so far) I own a 1250 sq ft house in northern Maine with an oil furnace, and after watching William operating his Glenwood Base Burner on his wonderful youtube videos, I thought I might give it another try. I have a hard time understanding why modern stove makers all seem to make rectangular stoves when it seems to me that a cylindrical, maybe even slightly conical fire box is far more conducive to burning anthracite. Because of that I am looking seriously at the Chubby product. Now I see this St Nicholas base burner at Bryant's and am thinking hmmmmmm. Seems very reasonably priced. but I've no idea if it could do the job. Maybe it would have to be tended many times a day? No idea how many btu's it might put out, how long the fire could be expected to last? My house has what would have been considered a modern oil furnace in the 1960's with an updated burner. That would have to go, or I'd have to install a new chimney. Pensioner here so not likely. I also was thinking again about that Chubby installed in the first floor fireplace, but what about keeping the pipes from freezing. Maybe I could replace the thinking about Chubby with the St. Nicholas, but again the pipes. I love the steady state heat of a constantly efficient running appliance compared to the complex on off thermostatically controlled type of heat. Nothing more satisfying than having to open a window to moderate the heat at 10 below. Or say I was to install the St Nicholas in the basement, could I remove all my ducts (which only vent to the first floor, the bedrooms upstairs are only gravity fed), and let gravity do the work? I've only seen my house once as I spend a good deal of time in foreign lands (tropical) and will be in Maine next month for the winter. I know that too sounds a bit dumb, but I haven't seen snow in about 20 years and miss it just a bit. I'm really sorry for boring you for so long, and I really appreciate any and all suggestions including," get lost you idiot" you might be willing to offer. I've been reading so many great comments, advice threads, information on this site for a long time and decided it was time to join up, and join the fun. And of course try to keep my outhouse warm in the coming Maine winter.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Oct. 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi jonnoh,...pm sent. click on the top-right of the page.

p.s. that stove is still at Bryant's

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”