.JPG | 439.7KB | IMG_20170930_134800875.jpg

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 2:50 am

I don't get it, It's a lovely stove but has been there for years.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 4:53 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 2:50 am
I don't get it, It's a lovely stove but has been there for years.
3 weeks ago when I was there I heard a couple talking about a little "Treasure Crawford" and the wife said, "can't put much wood in there."
The place is smack in the middle of farm life and woods.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 7:26 am

Poor guys, we give aid money to Pakistan but we can't ship free anthracite to Maine. Charity starts at home. :D

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 2:30 pm

I looked at the St. Nicholas stove there at Bryant's a couple years ago. It is a nice little base burner meant to burn just coal. On most antique cylinder stoves, the barrel is steel but the whole stove on the St. Nick is cast iron. The fire brick is the original to the stove. I chose a different stove there because I wanted a larger one but the St. Nick is a nice little stove.

You can do no wrong with the Chubby either, nice little stove.

Randy

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Oct. 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Such a beautiful stove ! It's a shame that it's not bigger.

Paul

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 5:59 pm

I am considering replacing the old beat wood stove that came in our house with this specific stove being offered, unless it has been sold and the website hasn't been updated. Would this stove be enough to heat a 1300 sqft salt box in the Machias area right on the water with four sliding glass doors with insulated drapes? I'm going to give the folks at Bryant a call tomorrow morning, but I figured I would ask the folks that use these stoves on a regular basis as well! Also, possibly a dumb question, but can the St. Nicholas burn wood as well as coal? I am interested in the base burn system as a boost in efficiency and a cleaner burn. I do worry that it might cook us out of the house!

Don't burn me at the stake, I know this is a coal burning forum, but we are only interested in burning wood, and the Hearth Forum regulars don't have much to offer on antique stoves. The only modern stoves we like are probably still too small for our house, and the rest are ugly.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 6:05 pm

That’s an anthracite only stove.

If it’s wood only that you want in an antique look for a “Glenwood Oak” with a backpipe.

Look up member “wilsonswoodstoves”

He’s got you covered...

SpaceBus

Post by SpaceBus » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Thank you, I will do that. Would it be advisable to start a new thread for this, or is the intent of this forum to cater strictly to coal burning folks? I've just seen way more posts on this forum for antique wood stoves than on any other forum. I did find a nice Modern Glenwood Oak No. 118 at Bryant's, but I worry it would be too much stove, and I don't know if it has a back pipe, but it does have mica windows which I really like.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 6:20 pm

A 116 with a back pipe like Sunnyboy recommended would be ideal. Plus with coal grates you could try a couple bags.

Once you do you probably will give up on wood.

Don’t think anyone cares if you talk about wood, but like I said..... :D

And feel free to start a thread when you get your stove.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Wood is a bad choice because the means to burn it clean and efficiently are limited. Getting properly seasoned wood is also a major problem. Most sellers will have cut it that season. You will be lucky to get half the potential heat contained in the wood. Mica windows on antiques will smoke up quickly. Modern wood stoves can burn a batch pretty well, but not with extended burn times.

There are two ways to burn wood efficiently.

One way is with pellets that can be very efficient at the cost of needing electricity and potential mechanical and electronic breakdown.

The other way is to have sufficient mass to absorb the heat from a large, very hot, clean burning fire. the mass is usually masonry and custom built.

My advice is to get the stove you like and burn coal. No other fuel can match anthracite for clean, long burn. Much more ash than wood though. Getting up at night to tend a wood stove, or have a cold house in the morning can get old fast.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 7:23 pm

SpaceBus wrote:
Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 6:14 pm
Thank you, I will do that. Would it be advisable to start a new thread for this, or is the intent of this forum to cater strictly to coal burning folks? I've just seen way more posts on this forum for antique wood stoves than on any other forum. I did find a nice Modern Glenwood Oak No. 118 at Bryant's, but I worry it would be too much stove, and I don't know if it has a back pipe, but it does have mica windows which I really like.
See my replies to your questions on page 2 of the, "Glenwood No. 118" thread.

paul

Pondview

Post by Pondview » Fri. Nov. 26, 2021 7:22 pm

First post ever on Coalpail so forgive me if I'm not doing something right. We have found a St. Nicholas original (no UL steel plate on the back), new old stock that we are seriously considering purchasing. I just want to know from anyone here that may have one in use how well it burns and the square footage it will handle. Do you love it, hate it.....? We are heating about 1,600 sq. feet. Thanks in advance!

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Nov. 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Need more info. Like state you live in. Ranch or 2 story. What inside temps are comfortable 70,74,76+.

The #12 might be to small. The #15 would be better.

There is one on marketplace. Price is decent, but add says needs brick/refactory.
That should have be done before finish painting. Looks nice, but most likely a bum in a cheap suit.

Pondview

Post by Pondview » Sat. Nov. 27, 2021 6:20 am

We live in Maine. We have been burning wood exclusively for 40 years (we put up 6 cords of wood every year which cut from our land....stinking hard work so thinking about transitioning to coal for the lion share of our heat). Our house is very easy to heat. The air flow is fantastic. It flows upstairs through a balcony and right back down the stairs to the main floor. Just wanted to know what the stove is rated stove at for square footage, just like you get the ratings on wood stoves. Are we talking about the same stove? I didn't know this stove came in two sizes.
This is the St. Nicholas with the cast iron barrel just like the stove pictured at the very beginning of this thread. We found one at a very reputable antique stove shop that has never been used (thus new, old stock). It was made by Portland Foundry. It is not one of the reproductions. So I really was hoping to hear from someone who has burned one of these stoves to find out if they liked it. It is a base heater. It must be more efficient. Are there any know issues with it, or is it just wonderful? Lol

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”