My New Glenwood Base Burner!

Craw4
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #4, Champion Oak 116, Splendid Oak 27 & 29, Glenwood Oak 20,40 and 2- Glenwood Oak 30's
Coal Size/Type: Stove and Nut

Post by Craw4 » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Congrats on the stove, I was looking at the extra pics I asked Roger to send me when I recieved the email that he had sold it :( :(

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Greg

PM me what you are looking for and I will keep me eyes open for you. No guarantees of course but I don't mind helping out if I can. 8-)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:36 pm

OK, here are some measurements...

Firebox (outside of firebrick to outside of firebrick) = 14"
Depth of firebox (from top of grate to bottom of top door opening) = 14"
overall base = 24" x 24"
overall height = 5" 3" (to top of finial)
Inside dem. of ash area = 12" x 14" x 6.75" (The bottom of ash area is double walled as well as both sides and rear)... all outer walls are cast and the bottom is also cast, the inner walls are thin steel.

I will post some photo's with more close up pics showing the bottom underside of stove (cast) and inner chamber of ash area (you will clearly see why these ash "clean outs" William told me about are their... Glenwood designers are genius) :lol:

I will also post a close up of the cement connection of main front casting to steel drum (William is right, I see the cement chipped away in some area's), what type of cement is used here (would a copper sealant be better?) and do I "bed" the entire cast section against the drum or simply use a thin "bead" in the middle of cast area then lay that on drum before bolting it tight?

Close up of grate arm for which I have NO shaker handle! :mad: Im going to review Williams videos again in hopes he shows his (or maybe he can post a photo of it here when he is able?)

What kind of cleaner to wash/shine old nickle like this???

Attachments

Underneath bottom of stove.JPG
.JPG | 108.2KB | Underneath bottom of stove.JPG
underneath bottom release screws.JPG
.JPG | 71.5KB | underneath bottom release screws.JPG
ash area.JPG
.JPG | 99.1KB | ash area.JPG
grate arm.JPG
.JPG | 144.4KB | grate arm.JPG

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Craw4 wrote:Congrats on the stove, I was looking at the extra pics I asked Roger to send me when I recieved the email that he had sold it :( :(
Im sorry man :( you must have been one of the 47 calls he got when I showed up at his door. Onedollar is clearly very good at finding stuff cheap and clearly why he called me telling me I need to replot my direction to Hopedale NOW (maybe that's why he's called $1.00 :lol: ) I will make this available to members on Nepacrossroads for half the price of a stove shop when im done with it (but I warn you...this one is kinda big :cry: )

Craw4
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #4, Champion Oak 116, Splendid Oak 27 & 29, Glenwood Oak 20,40 and 2- Glenwood Oak 30's
Coal Size/Type: Stove and Nut

Post by Craw4 » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 1:04 pm

That stove is the Glenwood version of my Crawford #4, I would not part with my Crawford..

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Doug, for the nickel, go buy some 'The Works' or "Lysol toilet bowl cleaner', put on rubber gloves and use 0000 steel wool like a sponge and gently wash off the nickel with the cleaner then rinse clean, The nickel will shine right up... follow up with 'Semichrome' or 'wendol' polish and it's as good as it will get.

Greg L..

Did ya open the rear cleanouts and vacuum out the base??

Greg L

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Very good find and if you want to get rid of it , I can go down very fast :D ""if the price is right"" :lol: .
I think that the shaker handle is a common model and could be easy to find in an antique stove store or on Ebay.
Don't forget the restoration's photos and a sliding lid for the ash pan :)

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 5:43 pm

If Doug decides he doesn't want this new toy I have right of first refusal! :bighug:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 7:08 pm

If he ever uses it, he won't be getting rid of it. I'm certain of that.

Here is the tool that goes in the shaker. Emery has boxes full of them. I'm sure there is one for a 111 in there somewhere.

Attachments

176.JPG

Shaker handle for an Our Glenwood Base Heater

.JPG | 147KB | 176.JPG

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 9:28 pm

thanks for the pic Will, Im surprised those handles don't brake at one of the fingers that go in the hole :shock: seems like they would take a lot of torque when shaking a full bed? I do notice how the grate actually sits below the firebox and only makes contact with those small flanges that hang down below the firebox slightly (more Glenwood genius to prevent clinkers from jamming between the grate and firebrick!), I would suspect this also reduces slightly the heat level at the grate which may prevent warping as well... This is an exact design change made by Larry on the Chubby recently :lol:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Mar. 29, 2013 1:04 am

dcrane wrote:thanks for the pic Will, Im surprised those handles don't brake at one of the fingers that go in the hole :shock: seems like they would take a lot of torque when shaking a full bed? I do notice how the grate actually sits below the firebox and only makes contact with those small flanges that hang down below the firebox slightly (more Glenwood genius to prevent clinkers from jamming between the grate and firebrick!), I would suspect this also reduces slightly the heat level at the grate which may prevent warping as well... This is an exact design change made by Larry on the Chubby recently :lol:
Yes, the more you learn about high end stoves from the Turn Of The Century and examine them closely; You will soon discover that they were absolute geniuses and their designs were just about complete in almost every tiny detail.

Wanna Bee
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post by Wanna Bee » Fri. Mar. 29, 2013 8:21 am

Congrats Mr. Crane,

These BB's are turning up everywhere. :shock:

Looks like you and I are going to be doing sumertime restorations.:cheers:

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. Jun. 13, 2013 8:39 am

well, regretfully im in a position of divorce with a wife who clearly wants me out and gone and has shut off totally any support, love or care to me. I'm going to be selling this prized coal stove because im not in a position to care for it or use it. I of course will offer it to those here who can use it or would like to have it (I personally hope it can help someone of this forum). The first person who can make a fair offer for what I could obtain swiftly in a CL ad or by calling Barnstable Shop down the street can have it. (I think the value of this stove as it sits is at least $900.00 if you could even find one which we all know cannot be done!)... I think Barnstable or almost anyone would pay $750.00 without even blinking an eye. I will give it a day here incase someone here would appreciate it before going public at $1,200 or B/O

Thank you to all.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Jun. 13, 2013 8:59 am

dcrane wrote:well, regretfully im in a position of divorce with a wife who clearly wants me out and gone and has shut off totally any support, love or care to me. I'm going to be selling this prized coal stove because im not in a position to care for it or use it. I of course will offer it to those here who can use it or would like to have it (I personally hope it can help someone of this forum). The first person who can make a fair offer for what I could obtain swiftly in a CL ad or by calling Barnstable Shop down the street can have it. (I think the value of this stove as it sits is at least $900.00 if you could even find one which we all know cannot be done!)... I think Barnstable or almost anyone would pay $750.00 without even blinking an eye. I will give it a day here incase someone here would appreciate it before going public at $1,200 or B/O

Thank you to all.
Hopefully one of our coal burning friends close by can work something out with you doug. :( We all know it was like christmas as a child when you found her, my you find peace where you land :)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Jun. 13, 2013 10:29 am

I hope things will work in the ""best"" conditions for you.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”