My New Glenwood Base Burner!

Craw4
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 1:28 pm
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #4, Champion Oak 116
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Location: Central NY

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Congrats on the stove, I was looking at the extra pics I asked Roger to send me when I recieved the email that he had sold it :( :(


User avatar
ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 6:09 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite
Location: Sooner Country Oklahoma
Contact:

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Greg

PM me what you are looking for and I will keep me eyes open for you. No guarantees of course but I don't mind helping out if I can. 8-)

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:36 pm

OK, here are some measurements...

Firebox (outside of firebrick to outside of firebrick) = 14"
Depth of firebox (from top of grate to bottom of top door opening) = 14"
overall base = 24" x 24"
overall height = 5" 3" (to top of finial)
Inside dem. of ash area = 12" x 14" x 6.75" (The bottom of ash area is double walled as well as both sides and rear)... all outer walls are cast and the bottom is also cast, the inner walls are thin steel.

I will post some photo's with more close up pics showing the bottom underside of stove (cast) and inner chamber of ash area (you will clearly see why these ash "clean outs" William told me about are their... Glenwood designers are genius) :lol:

I will also post a close up of the cement connection of main front casting to steel drum (William is right, I see the cement chipped away in some area's), what type of cement is used here (would a copper sealant be better?) and do I "bed" the entire cast section against the drum or simply use a thin "bead" in the middle of cast area then lay that on drum before bolting it tight?

Close up of grate arm for which I have NO shaker handle! :mad: Im going to review Williams videos again in hopes he shows his (or maybe he can post a photo of it here when he is able?)

What kind of cleaner to wash/shine old nickle like this???
Attachments
Underneath bottom of stove.JPG
underneath bottom release screws.JPG
ash area.JPG
cement at main front casting to steel barrel.JPG
grate arm.JPG

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Craw4 wrote:Congrats on the stove, I was looking at the extra pics I asked Roger to send me when I recieved the email that he had sold it :( :(
Im sorry man :( you must have been one of the 47 calls he got when I showed up at his door. Onedollar is clearly very good at finding stuff cheap and clearly why he called me telling me I need to replot my direction to Hopedale NOW (maybe that's why he's called $1.00 :lol: ) I will make this available to members on Nepacrossroads for half the price of a stove shop when im done with it (but I warn you...this one is kinda big :cry: )

Craw4
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 1:28 pm
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #4, Champion Oak 116
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Location: Central NY

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 1:04 pm

That stove is the Glenwood version of my Crawford #4, I would not part with my Crawford..

User avatar
LsFarm
Member
Posts: 7384
Joined: Sun. Nov. 20, 2005 8:02 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland
Location: Michigan

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Doug, for the nickel, go buy some 'The Works' or "Lysol toilet bowl cleaner', put on rubber gloves and use 0000 steel wool like a sponge and gently wash off the nickel with the cleaner then rinse clean, The nickel will shine right up... follow up with 'Semichrome' or 'wendol' polish and it's as good as it will get.

Greg L..

Did ya open the rear cleanouts and vacuum out the base??

Greg L

User avatar
nortcan
Member
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sat. Feb. 20, 2010 3:32 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride
Location: Qc Canada

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Very good find and if you want to get rid of it , I can go down very fast :D ""if the price is right"" :lol: .
I think that the shaker handle is a common model and could be easy to find in an antique stove store or on Ebay.
Don't forget the restoration's photos and a sliding lid for the ash pan :)

User avatar
ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 6:09 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite
Location: Sooner Country Oklahoma
Contact:

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 5:43 pm

If Doug decides he doesn't want this new toy I have right of first refusal! :bighug:


User avatar
wsherrick
Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 6:04 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size
Location: High In The Poconos

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 7:08 pm

If he ever uses it, he won't be getting rid of it. I'm certain of that.

Here is the tool that goes in the shaker. Emery has boxes full of them. I'm sure there is one for a 111 in there somewhere.
Attachments
176.JPG
Shaker handle for an Our Glenwood Base Heater

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 9:28 pm

thanks for the pic Will, Im surprised those handles don't brake at one of the fingers that go in the hole :shock: seems like they would take a lot of torque when shaking a full bed? I do notice how the grate actually sits below the firebox and only makes contact with those small flanges that hang down below the firebox slightly (more Glenwood genius to prevent clinkers from jamming between the grate and firebrick!), I would suspect this also reduces slightly the heat level at the grate which may prevent warping as well... This is an exact design change made by Larry on the Chubby recently :lol:

User avatar
wsherrick
Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: Wed. Jun. 18, 2008 6:04 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size
Location: High In The Poconos

Post Fri. Mar. 29, 2013 1:04 am

dcrane wrote:thanks for the pic Will, Im surprised those handles don't brake at one of the fingers that go in the hole :shock: seems like they would take a lot of torque when shaking a full bed? I do notice how the grate actually sits below the firebox and only makes contact with those small flanges that hang down below the firebox slightly (more Glenwood genius to prevent clinkers from jamming between the grate and firebrick!), I would suspect this also reduces slightly the heat level at the grate which may prevent warping as well... This is an exact design change made by Larry on the Chubby recently :lol:
Yes, the more you learn about high end stoves from the Turn Of The Century and examine them closely; You will soon discover that they were absolute geniuses and their designs were just about complete in almost every tiny detail.

Wanna Bee
Member
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Grander Stove Co.
Stove/Furnace Model: Royal Bride
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post Fri. Mar. 29, 2013 8:21 am

Congrats Mr. Crane,

These BB's are turning up everywhere. :shock:

Looks like you and I are going to be doing sumertime restorations.:cheers:

User avatar
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 9:28 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404
Location: Duxbury, MA./Hanson MA./Brockton, MA

Post Thu. Jun. 13, 2013 8:39 am

well, regretfully im in a position of divorce with a wife who clearly wants me out and gone and has shut off totally any support, love or care to me. I'm going to be selling this prized coal stove because im not in a position to care for it or use it. I of course will offer it to those here who can use it or would like to have it (I personally hope it can help someone of this forum). The first person who can make a fair offer for what I could obtain swiftly in a CL ad or by calling Barnstable Shop down the street can have it. (I think the value of this stove as it sits is at least $900.00 if you could even find one which we all know cannot be done!)... I think Barnstable or almost anyone would pay $750.00 without even blinking an eye. I will give it a day here incase someone here would appreciate it before going public at $1,200 or B/O

Thank you to all.

User avatar
michaelanthony
Member
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sat. Nov. 22, 2008 10:42 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: Coal Contractor's stove, a little Kimmels 'nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace
Location: millinocket,me.
Contact:

Post Thu. Jun. 13, 2013 8:59 am

dcrane wrote:well, regretfully im in a position of divorce with a wife who clearly wants me out and gone and has shut off totally any support, love or care to me. I'm going to be selling this prized coal stove because im not in a position to care for it or use it. I of course will offer it to those here who can use it or would like to have it (I personally hope it can help someone of this forum). The first person who can make a fair offer for what I could obtain swiftly in a CL ad or by calling Barnstable Shop down the street can have it. (I think the value of this stove as it sits is at least $900.00 if you could even find one which we all know cannot be done!)... I think Barnstable or almost anyone would pay $750.00 without even blinking an eye. I will give it a day here incase someone here would appreciate it before going public at $1,200 or B/O

Thank you to all.
Hopefully one of our coal burning friends close by can work something out with you doug. :( We all know it was like christmas as a child when you found her, my you find peace where you land :)

User avatar
nortcan
Member
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sat. Feb. 20, 2010 3:32 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride
Location: Qc Canada

Post Thu. Jun. 13, 2013 10:29 am

I hope things will work in the ""best"" conditions for you.


Post Reply

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”