My New Glenwood Base Burner!

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 7:06 pm

I picked up my new Glenwood today after receiving a frantic call from our good friend OneDollar (He spotted an ad for junker woodstove for $500 but noticed this gleaming glenwood in the photo next to it for $200 :P )... I ran down to check it and sure enough it was Glenwood Base Burner that appeared to be in great shape... I offer him $160 for it and he swiftly tells me he got 47 calls right after mine... but he said "ill split the diff. with ya and you can have it for $180!... I swiftly pealed of the twenties and started dismantling the stove before any more thoughts (or calls) came in :lol:

I have a few questions for William and all the Glenwood people please...
#1 This stove is in such incredibly good condition im finding it hard to believe this this was not recondition, rebuilt and re nickeled at some point in its life?
#2 I know what that lever is for on the lower side but what are the two lil' swing out doors on the lower rear for?
#3 this stove has firebrick :shock: is that right? I thought they had cast iron firepots?
#4 the one thing I see missing is a shaker handle (are these available anywhere or do I have to make my own?)
#6 what is the grate in the top section for? (under the finial)... roasting chickens or something :lol: ?
#7 this thing is far taller then I was expecting (its about as tall as me), look at how small my crochet set looks next to it, is that normal for all these baseburners?

Attachments

main front.JPG
.JPG | 127.8KB | main front.JPG
top.JPG
.JPG | 116.5KB | top.JPG
grate under top.JPG
.JPG | 118KB | grate under top.JPG
lever and flip out at rear.JPG
.JPG | 142.9KB | lever and flip out at rear.JPG
looking up at grate.JPG
.JPG | 133.9KB | looking up at grate.JPG
inside ash area.JPG
.JPG | 126.7KB | inside ash area.JPG
upper end.JPG
.JPG | 112.7KB | upper end.JPG
inside firebrick.JPG
.JPG | 139.6KB | inside firebrick.JPG
lower end.JPG
.JPG | 147.4KB | lower end.JPG

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Good score, I am happy for you. What is the size of the fire pot? Should be good for 5000sqft plus yes? Remember francos words

"William's post reminded me that you first have to decide what size stove you are looking for."

Keep us informed. :D :D

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 7:40 pm

coalnewbie wrote:Good score, I am happy for you. What is the size of the fire pot? Should be good for 5000sqft plus yes? Remember francos words

"William's post reminded me that you first have to decide what size stove you are looking for."

Keep us informed. :D :D
IDK what space this thing is good for but it sure looks big to me :cry: where's William when ya need him :taz:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 7:52 pm

You have just bought one of the best coal stove designs that you can get your hands on. This is an Our Glenwood No 111. They came in 3 sizes. Yes, they came originally with a brick lining. The little lever is the check damper. The little doors in the back are the clean out doors. The base heating chamber needs to be cleaned after each heating season. The part under the swing top/dome is a dutch oven. It cooks very well. I made all sorts of meals in mine while the power was out for days during Sandy. This stove will provide the widest range of operating temperatures that any coal stove can provide. It will produce the same amount of heat compared with any, I mean any modern box stove for half to 2/3 less coal consumed.
You have a design that maximizes both combustion (fuel efficiency) with an extremely high thermal (radiant) efficiency. Plus it's just plain handsome. You now have arrived on Coal Stove Easy Street.

I have the small version of this stove. It is an Our Glenwood No 9. It's the exact same design except that it is the older version. Mine was made in 1899. This one is part of the Modern Series introduced in 1905.

Read this thread about my Glenwood No 9 and it should help you out some.

Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(Hopefully) a Few Photos

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 8:06 pm

wsherrick wrote:You have just bought one of the best coal stove designs that you can get your hands on. This is an Our Glenwood No 111. They came in 3 sizes. Yes, they came originally with a brick lining. The little lever is the check damper. The part under the swing top/dome is a dutch oven. It cooks very well. I made all sorts of meals in mine while the power was out for days during Sandy. This stove will provide the widest range of operating temperatures that any coal stove can provide. It will produce the same amount of heat compared with any, I mean any modern box stove for half to 2/3 less coal consumed.
You have a design that maximizes both combustion (fuel efficiency) with an extremely high thermal (radiant) efficiency. Plus it's just plain handsome. You now have arrived on Coal Stove Easy Street.

I have the small version of this stove. It is an Our Glenwood No 9. It's the exact same design except that it is the older version. Mine was made in 1899. This one is part of the Modern Series introduced in 1905.

Read this thread about my Glenwood No 9 and it should help you out some.

Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(Hopefully) a Few Photos
woot woot! two thumbs up from William! :up:

I think I want the smaller one like you have though :(

what are those lil' doors on either side of the rear for? (they don't seem to open but I clearly see a lil' lever lock over each of them?)

What do you think of the condition? I cant see any damage or any open seams or any cracks anyplace (they rear upper flu pipe looks like its galv. and could use replacing but I cant find anything to fix :shock:

Do these stoves require door gaskets? heres more pics... let me know if you think its even worth taking apart?

Attachments

inside mid door.JPG
.JPG | 133.7KB | inside mid door.JPG
doors open.JPG
.JPG | 121.9KB | doors open.JPG
side.JPG
.JPG | 138.7KB | side.JPG
weir stove co taunton.JPG
.JPG | 111.5KB | weir stove co taunton.JPG

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Never played croquet so I am still struggling with the relative size. How big across is the fire pot? It is a brute that is for sure.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:53 am

Read my last post carefully. The doors on the back are clean out doors. You have a good size stove there. It is big enough to handle the coldest weather and you can control it enough to run it from the Fall to the Spring.
You can run these at 180 degrees constantly with no fear of losing the fire. You can run it up to 650-700 degrees without damage to it.

The doors are machined to fit tightly against the body. If the hinge pins and damper springs are in good condition the they will provide an air tight fit. So no gaskets are needed.

Before you use the stove you MUST take it apart and reseal it totally. You might not be able to see, but; I can see from the pictures that the existing cement is in need of replacement. You also need to have another back pipe made for it. Some one cut this one and ruined it, probably to make it a top vent. The back pipes on these stoves have the exhaust collar on the back of the pipe and there is an flat iron cap that fits on top of it. Look at mine. That is how the back pipe is supposed to be.

And BEFORE, you start second guessing yourself. Remember, you got a $2,000 stove for $180 bucks. You got one that can easily be restored by an average person. You might have to spend some money on it here and there and you are going to have to take it all apart, clean it, put it back together, etc. It's worth all the time and cash you put into it. These are unlike any other type of stoves and now you've got one for next to nothing. You should be super happy about it.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 6:23 am

Nice stove!! Take good care of it, it is rare just to find one in that condition...for $180 is unheard of.

Do it once and do it right, tear it down and carefully reassemble with fresh cement/gaskets/bolts. I would also get some of that ceramic putty that Stevezee used and line the fire pot.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 7:59 am

Nice find dc. It should keep you out of trouble for a while. ;)

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 8:33 am

Congratulations Doug, stick a fork in yah!

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 8:41 am

Doug

Glad you got the stove. THAT's TWO for you now!! Do you have a third request? :clap:

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 9:45 am

Hey Doug, Congrats on the super deal!!

Could you do all of us a favor? Take a measuring tape and measure the stove,: height, pot diameter, pot depth, etc??
I can't find my measuring stick calibrated in croquet mallet-lengths. :shock: :D

Then, for us technical minded folks a few more interesitng measurements and observations please:
measure the outside width of the base, from side to side across the ashpan door, give us a width of the ashpan door,
then an inside measurement of the inside of the ashpan chamber..
What I'm looking for is to subract the inside dimension from the outside and the difference will be the width of the
exhaust heating passageways on each side of the ashpan chamber.. I'm guessing about 2" on each side?.

And would you tell me if the bottom of the ashpan chamber is a single thickness of metal, or is it a double layer,
therefore, is it too is heated by the exhaust ? From the photos I dont' think the bottom is a double walled passageway,

And, it would be greatly appreciated if there was a step by step detailed photo-essay of the dissassembly of the stove and
reassembly.. it will be a nice summer 'Forum-Project' :lol:
OH, please use your camera only in the upright mode, I'm getting motion-sickness from laying on my side to view the
sideways photos.. You can save the photos on your computer and most have a way of rotating the image before posting.

A true baseburner for less than $200, man you should go to church this Sunday and put a a few bills in the plate!! :lol:

Congrats Again!!
Greg L

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 11:52 am

LsFarm wrote:Hey Doug, Congrats on the super deal!!

Could you do all of us a favor? Take a measuring tape and measure the stove,: height, pot diameter, pot depth, etc??
I can't find my measuring stick calibrated in croquet mallet-lengths.

Then, for us technical minded folks a few more interesitng measurements and observations please:
measure the outside width of the base, from side to side across the ashpan door, give us a width of the ashpan door,
then an inside measurement of the inside of the ashpan chamber..
What I'm looking for is to subract the inside dimension from the outside and the difference will be the width of the
exhaust heating passageways on each side of the ashpan chamber.. I'm guessing about 2" on each side?.

And would you tell me if the bottom of the ashpan chamber is a single thickness of metal, or is it a double layer,
therefore, is it too is heated by the exhaust ? From the photos I dont' think the bottom is a double walled passageway,

And, it would be greatly appreciated if there was a step by step detailed photo-essay of the dissassembly of the stove and
reassembly.. it will be a nice summer 'Forum-Project'
OH, please use your camera only in the upright mode, I'm getting motion-sickness from laying on my side to view the
sideways photos.. You can save the photos on your computer and most have a way of rotating the image before posting.

A true baseburner for less than $200, man you should go to church this Sunday and put a a few bills in the plate!! :lol:

Congrats Again!!
Greg L
Holy craP thats alot of work their Greg :shock: I will start taking measurements now and even though this unit is to big for me, I will brake it down and restore it better then new just to make sure it survives (though im very sure this is indeed refurbished because the more I look at it and view the bolts, threads, etc. its virtually impossible for bolts and threads to be THIS mint and easy to turn on anything 100+ years old). back in a sec with some measurements :P

P.S. If I donate anything or flip it for profit when I'm done I would feel evil if I did not send OneDollar something even before the church :lol: It was 100% his find and he knew damb well it was a "sleeper" and not only PM'd me but then tacked down my cell and called me in hysterics saying I need to drive to someplace in MA called Hopedale NOWWWWW!!!! LOL :lol:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 11:55 am

You might be surprised at how well that stove can run at a low temperature. Give it a chance next winter and crack a window if necessary...or put an addition on the house. :D

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Just track down your measuring tape, if ya don'thave one, I'll mail ya one!! :D

IAfter looking at the photos again [about fell out of my chair on one of those sideeyways ones] :lol: I see that
the heated space on each side of the ashpan is about 2-2.5".. but I'm still curious about the floor of the ashpan chamber,
it looks like it's single thickness, but it may be a double walled heated chamber.. Really curious about that.

I agree that the first 'donation' should be to One Dollar..

Hey OD.. want to put me on your 'call and chase' list for baseburners?? :o :)

Take care guys.

Greg L

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”