Rathbone & Sard Radiant Acorn No.38 Base Burner

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Mon. Mar. 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks Guys - I think I'm going to pass on this one.

I appreciate all your thoughts and comments.

Chris

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Mar. 26, 2013 3:00 am

Your welcome but don't stop looking, speaking personally I learn as much from others failures as successes. Franco made me think about those R&S stoves in so much as the ash pan area looks so small you wonder if it's really a coal stove at heart, or a coal stove as an afterthought. However, I LOVE mica stoves. Watching a coal fire with plenty of beer is so much better than TV and for a stove with a view I am prepared to give up a little efficiency - but not much.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Mar. 26, 2013 4:09 am

This is what I always say: There are plenty of good stoves out there, however; you must, must, and again, must learn the subject before you start spending your money. It is much better to get a stove from Emery or Doug at Barnstable or another reputable dealer. They have already done all of the hard work of sorting through the stuff that is lost forever. Be patient and ASK before you jump, which you did. There is one out there for you, just be patient and diligent. You will find it.

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19

Post by chrisbuick » Tue. Mar. 26, 2013 11:22 am

I plan to keep looking, but I'm going to be more careful from now on.

Now, how about this Red Cross Oak Leaf No.16 I just found near Burlington VT?

Just kidding - but here it is:

Thanks - Chris

Attachments

Red Cross Oak1.jpg
.JPG | 22.9KB | Red Cross Oak1.jpg

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Mar. 26, 2013 11:52 am

Chris
If the price is right for you and the condition is acceptable to you and you want it.... go for it. :D Of course everyone's acceptable price and condition differ. There are much worse addictions that one could have! :lol:

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Tue. Mar. 26, 2013 4:07 pm

I've asked for better pictures of the Red Cross, but I'm really looking for a nice base burner.

Chris

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Mar. 26, 2013 6:28 pm

coalnewbie wrote:... and to add to this you are going to get it to the UK?
Blimey, mate, seal all the openings and float it across on the Gulf Stream.
wsherrick wrote:It is much better to get a stove from Emery or Doug at Barnstable or another reputable dealer.
Since you are in northern New England, consider Bryant Stove Works in Thorndike, Maine.
http://www.bryantstove.com/

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 1:53 am

rberq wrote:
coalnewbie wrote:... and to add to this you are going to get it to the UK?
Blimey, mate, seal all the openings and float it across on the Gulf Stream.
wsherrick wrote:It is much better to get a stove from Emery or Doug at Barnstable or another reputable dealer.
Since you are in northern New England, consider Bryant Stove Works in Thorndike, Maine.
If it were me and I wanted or needed another base heater. I would seriously consider and probably buy the Kineo #15 base heater pictured there. That is a very large base heater with the suspended fire pot design. Plus it is absolutely gorgeous and it is EXTREMELY well priced.
Some smart person is going to get it. Why not let it be you?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 11:50 am

William's post reminded me that you first have to decide what size stove you are looking for.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 6:24 pm

wsherrick wrote:
rberq wrote: Blimey, mate, seal all the openings and float it across on the Gulf Stream.
If it were me and I wanted or needed another base heater. I would seriously consider and probably buy the Kineo #15 base heater pictured there. That is a very large base heater with the suspended fire pot design. Plus it is absolutely gorgeous and it is EXTREMELY well priced.
William, I was looking at that stove on their website and also the St Nicholas pictured below the Kineo. I thought it was a good price as well. I really would like to get a good baseburner. The Gem Dockash puts out plenty of heat but not nearly as efficient as the baseburner. I was just in Maine when I picked up the 1911 cook stove, I purposely did not go the their store because I would have been tempted to bring home two stoves instead of just the cook stove!
Randy

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 6:45 pm

chrisbuick wrote:I plan to keep looking, but I'm going to be more careful from now on.

Now, how about this Red Cross Oak Leaf No.16 I just found near Burlington VT?

Just kidding - but here it is:

Thanks - Chris
These types of stoves seem to be MUCH more readily available then a baseburner (even though most folks think they too are made of gold), You can find great deals out their Ive just learned because yesterday onedollar called me about an add just posted and I ran down to the stove to check it asap... Glenwood Baseburner that stands almost as tall as me I got for $180.00, so keep looking!

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Thu. Mar. 28, 2013 6:22 am

I'm going to wait to find a good base burner, such as a Glenwood, Crawford, Smith Anthony, Stewart, etc.

Since I'm looking locally, that's probably what I'll wind up eventually finding.

When I find a candidate, I'll post it here for analysis - unless it's no brainer, which I'll jump on.

Chris

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Apr. 01, 2013 3:06 pm

wsherrick wrote:
rberq wrote: Blimey, mate, seal all the openings and float it across on the Gulf Stream.
Some smart person??? did he say smart? Hehehehe

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”