Found It !! My 'Royal Bride' Restoration Thread

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 8:50 pm

What a story,what a thread ! Thanx for documenting this as thoroughly as you have,including all the photo's :notworthy: :up:

Wanna Bee
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post by Wanna Bee » Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 8:55 pm

wsherrick wrote:When it comes to furnace cement, my motto is; more is better. So what if it makes a mess. I want to be absolutely sure that there no leaks, anywhere. It really bites when after you've been so careful and neat with the cement, you have thin spot which will make a leak or have leak. The stuff wipes off. Have plenty of rags and paper towels.
'
I am very excited that you are almost done. I can't wait to see a fire in it and hear about how it runs. All the work and money you put in it will begin returning to you with interest as soon as you light it up.
So what's that mean? No mulligan on the one match. I can just light a wood fire from the coal. Carry that outside. Swap stoves, then transfer the burning embers into the bride...

Man you guys make us newbies work for it. LOL!

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Dec. 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Don't worry about the one match. I think in most cases when you buy them they come by the box full. :)

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 9:42 am

Keeping this moving

There's a lot of stuff going on in there. Those passages are where the convection occurs inside the stove body. The small tan colored area is the cardboard she is sitting on.

Btw: once you start slinging sealant this thing is no picnic to reassemble. If not for my dry mockup, I'd be covered in stove cement and the stove would have been taken apart multiple times due to not being able to access fasteners. Also without applying beads via a caulk tube I don't think reassembly of THIS particular stove would have eve been possible.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 1:47 pm

Little by little, Rome is getting built. Now's the time to make sure you get everything right. Believe it really, really bites when you've reassembled something in the wrong order and you have to take the #$@ thing all apart again. Yes it does.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 2:04 pm

wsherrick wrote:Little by little, Rome is getting built. Now's the time to make sure you get everything right. Believe it really, really bites when you've reassembled something in the wrong order and you have to take the #$@ thing all apart again. Yes it does.
I know all about having to take stuff apart. I learned a long time ago that a dry mock up can save every bit of the time it takes to do it AND break it down in final assembly. I find mocking things up helps with the quality of the final product too.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Wanna Bee wrote:
wsherrick wrote:Little by little, Rome is getting built. Now's the time to make sure you get everything right. Believe it really, really bites when you've reassembled something in the wrong order and you have to take the #$@ thing all apart again. Yes it does.
I know all about having to take stuff apart. I learned a long time ago that a dry mock up can save every bit of the time it takes to do it AND break it down in final assembly. I find mocking things up helps with the quality of the final product too.
I just wanted you to know that I am up in the bleachers right at the 50 yard line, watching intently.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 3:41 pm

wsherrick wrote: I just wanted you to know that I am up in the bleachers right at the 50 yard line, watching intently.
Considering you're "our" in house base burner historian extraordinaire. I consider this a huge complement.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 6:17 pm

More pictures,
I haven't installed any more parts due to not having fasteners of the proper length. Plus I want the installation of the back pipe to go as clean as possible. You know...once.

Looking down the back pipe
Looking at the inside. Right hand side is closed forcing the base to flow.
Flue damper open allowing for direct vent of stove.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm on my third tube of furnace cement. It looks like it's going to take the better part of FIVE full tubes to complete the job.

That's a shitload of sealant! Did I mention I need to get more. :o

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 02, 2014 5:21 am

Looking good James ! It's like gluing a plastic model together - just a lot heavier. :D

Paul

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Jan. 02, 2014 3:46 pm

You said you are using a lot of cement. Well, that's a whole lot of stove to be put together.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. Jan. 02, 2014 7:23 pm

wsherrick wrote:You said you are using a lot of cement. Well, that's a whole lot of stove to be put together.
Darn right it is! I ended up going backwards today. Not only am I completely out of stove cement. The hardware store that I got it from is completely out of it too. And...I never mocked up the fire pot. I needed to remove the front of the stove to get the SOB in :oops:
I also have noticed that the fire pot is bearing on the lower grates. Polishing up the bottom of the fire pot will make operation of the shaker smoother. I don't know what the outside ring portion is called but that's the area being affected. Cleaning up any little boogies will make it move like its on ball bearings.

Glen

Post by Glen » Sat. Oct. 04, 2014 2:29 pm

I am researching for my own build and I just read 11 pages and this thread ended without a finished product. I need to know what happened and how it turned out! Was it completed? Its like reading some engrossing novel only to find out the last 20 pages are missing!

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Oct. 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Glen wrote:I am researching for my own build and I just read 11 pages and this thread ended without a finished product. I need to know what happened and how it turned out! Was it completed? Its like reading some engrossing novel only to find out the last 20 pages are missing!
I'm afraid this happens a lot here it seems. You have people show up only to hang around for awhile and then disappear. There have been several threads like this that never conclude. We can only hope that the person here will show back up at some point.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”