Found It !! My 'Royal Bride' Restoration Thread

Wanna Bee
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post by Wanna Bee » Wed. May. 08, 2013 11:03 pm

dcrane wrote: (that looks like my Miller Cricket in the background :lol: )
Nah, that's a 110v plasma cutter. Wonderful little toy for sheet metal work
I have a "few" welders in there hiding. Even have two Lincoln SA200 engine drives.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. May. 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Very good Wanna B. A 14" fire pot is about a middle size one. You can easily burn 12 Hrs with it at medium rate. Shure if you put a liner in it, you will end up to about 12". But all the heat output needed depends on the space you have to heat, insulation...My Golden Bride makes a wonderful job with a 9" fire pot( origilally 12" before the liner) in a super insulated living room, hum a..... 16 X 10 one :D
Your right when you say that you want the stove in perfect condition. In fact your stove seems in good condition now, we don't see the fire pot very well but from the photo it looks not so bad?
BTW, my Golden Bride is very happy to get an other Brother :)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. May. 09, 2013 4:25 pm

A quick note on the use of 'Lysol' toilet bowl cleaner or 'The Works' or other bowl cleaners.. The active ingredient is Muriatic acid,
When Muriatic acid reacts with iron oxide, [rust] it makes some nasty fumes. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BREATH THE FUMES. So do the rust removal jobs outside with a breeze or a fan.

The cleaning of the nickeled parts doesn't seem to make as much or any bad fumes.. but safety first,, outside is best..

I use straight muriatic acid on rusty car parts, outdoors with eye protection and a mask.. the stuff really removes the rust,, and leaves the metal clean and gray..
But you must rinse very well with a garden hose, and be aware that the rinse water will kill grass.

In general, the stuff cleans really well, but has some issues with safety,, so be careful and thoughtful when using this process OK ??

Greg L

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Thu. May. 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Don't forget the baking soda for the rinse...

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. May. 09, 2013 5:02 pm

I have used muriatic acid to clean concrete and even Concrete swimming pools in my youth. Never used it for rust removal though. If it leaves the Iron grey and spotless I will be going full acid bath. Clean is good.

Lately I have been using electrolysis to clean up rusty parts. It's my new favorite way of dealing with rust. No damage to the base metal and no harmful chemicals, heck... I don't even use up any expensive elbow grease. If you have never witnessed a bucket of washing soda and a battery charger do it's thing... It is worth finding an old hunk of iron just to see how well it works. If not now, for projects down the road.

The nickel will get a trial run with TB cleaner. That's pretty late in the game for me. I want to get the stove body cleaned and reassembled first.

Off to the shop to start pulling her apart. I should have some pictures of the tear down up tonight.

If only I knew where my 1/2" 8pt socket went :(

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. May. 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Well, she is now nothing but a pile of parts laying on the shop floor.
Started out trying to save the fasteners, that didn't go so well. It took me at least an hour to remove the first 4 screws from the top side. You know the easy ones. After much pain and swearing I decided that the original fasteners don't mean that much to me. For fear of breaking an non replaceable part I decided that drilling the machine screws was my only option.
And now I need to apologize for the camera again. I took my "real" camera out with me but the batteries died.

No more doors

A poor try at the fire pot

Just a quick picture of the inside

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. May. 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Inside of the ash door looking at the shakers from the bottom
Another picture of the fire pot, she don't look so good
Finally I got a piece off. Boy oh boy was that a bear. This was before I decided to drill out the screws

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. May. 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Able to get the top loose after messing with the "chute"
Took off the back. At this point I had to stop drilling screws out. I couldn't get anything to come apart and nothing was screwed together. I pictured the whole thing falling to he floor in pieces from a small breeze.
Front is off, can get the FP out now.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. May. 09, 2013 8:37 pm

This concerns me. I have all intentions of installing some kind of liner in the FP but this thing looks like crap. I will source a new one from somewhere.
Grates
Grates in fully rotated position

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. May. 09, 2013 8:37 pm

You are going to have to get a new fire pot cast for the stove. Pack up the original and send it to Tomahawk Foundry. They will cast a perfect copy from the original.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. May. 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Same view other extreme, this is "at rest"
Now were getting some where
Back pipe is ready to come off

Amazing that they spent as much time making the back pretty as the front.

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. May. 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Three bad pictures
This is just to show me the orientation of the back pipe divider.

Base with little left attached
This is just amazing, It is an awesome piece. Complete radiuses. It has also been repaired before, the rear mounting tabs are reinforced by some kind of steel "thingy". I will leave the repair but reinstall the original tabs.
And here is an exploded view of a Royal Bride No14

Wanna Bee

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. May. 09, 2013 8:57 pm

This weekend I start cleaning and inspecting each piece. Kinda boring but it will be worth it in the next few weeks.

Also going to drop off the fire pot at the local foundry and see what they have to say.

Questions, Comments, Criticism

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. May. 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for sharing the dis-assembly job. Now you will know how your stove is build and how it works. The fire pot is not as good as seen on the first photos.
Keep on posting, we love photos and we always learn something new when looking at a restoration like that. Thanks.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. May. 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Holy shyt b@lls :shock: theres no turning back now bro :lol:

Great job getting that baby apart... now where down to brass tacks and you can make sure she lasts another 100 years :clap:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”