Victor Peninsular With Cracked Pot Missing Vent

Mpalum956
Baseburners & Antiques: Victor peninsular no 38

Post by Mpalum956 » Mon. Mar. 11, 2013 7:26 pm

This is my first post, apology if I mess it up. This stove belonged to my wife's grandmother. It's been in a living room all it's life. She won't let it out of her sight. I want to use it so that means I restore it myself.

Someone put a gas burner through the vent and lost the vent. I'm thinking I could fabricate a new vent out of sheet metal or wood and have it cast? I don' know what it should look like

The fire pot has a small crack in it. Can I use it like this? Weld it? Line it?

It has a mechanism that closes off the opening to the stove pipe sends the hot gas around the stove under the ash pan back up and out the pipe. Does this sound right. The liner that separates the fire from the stove wall also has a small crack. I'll post a pic of that when I get there.

Mike

Attachments

image.jpg

Stove

.JPG | 240KB | image.jpg
image.jpg

Fire pot

.JPG | 246.1KB | image.jpg

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Mar. 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. You can see a complete and restored Peninsular base burner going to Good Time Stoves site. Many others photos can be available here on the forum from members.
When possible for you, send some photos showing the firepot, a close one showing the crack. You could have the firepot recasted and then make a liner to protect it. That way you will have 2 firepots. Maybe just a good liner can get the firepot usable again?
For the vent damper, you can ask to some antique stoves stores if they have some in stock : Emery at Stove Hospital may be able to help you out or give you other place names to look for it.
Nice stove and it's great you want to have it back on the job, a real family treasure.
Good luck on the restoration :!:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Mar. 11, 2013 8:26 pm

How's this? :)
image_2.jpg
.JPG | 257.2KB | image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
.JPG | 262.6KB | image_1.jpg

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. Mar. 11, 2013 8:40 pm

You will get the baseburner fanatics all excited here :P The primary air dial would be simple, round and probably chromed (easy to make in wood and bring to a local foundry or search for a beat to hell unit online and ask for the primary air knob which will be in great condition even on a beat to hell stove).

The firepot is the toughy'... If you really want to use it as primary heat source long term its appearing to me that you will need to do something in a season or two. (one inexpensive option would be to get a cast or steel ring if you have the space without interfering with airflow, that would be tapped in place up on the outside of the pot about midway and then brazed in place or even just a quick zap with a stick weld would hold that ring and keep further damage from happening). Im not sure how much it would cost to bring the pot into a foundry and ask them to make one (it would not be cheap).

if your simply using the stove for posterity once in while I wouldn't worry about the fire pot to much as it will work fine.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Mar. 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Here is one very ornated. Photo from and with the permission of: Ginger Creek Antique Stoves.
I think that a stove like the one you have deserves only the best, according to me, don't shortcut the job. As soon as it will be restored and burning, you will never want to have it stopped burning. Burning anthracite with a stove like that will be the best reward for you. Plus as a bonus you will have a look at it all year round :)

Attachments

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Mar. 11, 2013 9:29 pm

nortcan wrote:Here is one very ornated. Photo from and with the permission of: Ginger Creek Antique Stoves.
I think that a stove like the one you have deserves only the best, according to me, don't shortcut the job. As soon as it will be restored and burning, you will never want to have it stopped burning. Burning anthracite with a stove like that will be the best reward for you. Plus as a bonus you will have a look at it all year round :)
wow... looks like that thing is drowned in xmass tinsel :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Mar. 11, 2013 11:28 pm

dcrane wrote:
nortcan wrote:Here is one very ornated. Photo from and with the permission of: Ginger Creek Antique Stoves.
wow... looks like that thing is drowned in xmass tinsel :lol:
Just need some help :) : what is the meaning of tinsel? Thanks for the English course :) Hope we could have more English up here! French is good but English is more universal.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 4:12 am

nortcan wrote:
dcrane wrote: wow... looks like that thing is drowned in xmass tinsel :lol:
Just need some help :) : what is the meaning of tinsel? Thanks for the English course :) Hope we could have more English up here! French is good but English is more universal.
Its a flashy silver ribbon used to drape over a tree at xmass time ;)

Mpalum956
Baseburners & Antiques: Victor peninsular no 38

Post by Mpalum956 » Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 8:09 am

The photo from ginger antiques is pretty close. It came with a chrome air vent that looks just like the one in the picture except it is loose, doesn't quite fit what I would call the bolt it screws into. I expected the piece to be cast or nickel plate, didn't think they did chrome in those days.

I would very much like to have a professional do it if I could convince my wife to let me take it somewhere. It would need to be within driving distance of Maine. The only place I found was the antique stove hospital. Emailed them but they never responded to me.

You can see the crack in the fire pot in the pic. It's small on you left in the bottom of the pot.

Mike

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 8:16 am

Mpalum956 wrote:The photo from ginger antiques is pretty close. It came with a chrome air vent that looks just like the one in the picture except it is loose, doesn't quite fit what I would call the bolt it screws into. I expected the piece to be cast or nickel plate, didn't think they did chrome in those days.

I would very much like to have a professional do it if I could convince my wife to let me take it somewhere. It would need to be within driving distance of Maine. The only place I found was the antique stove hospital. Emailed them but they never responded to me.

You can see the crack in the fire pot in the pic. It's small on you left in the bottom of the pot.

Mike

Chrome plating goes way back (almost to 1800), it was the late 1800's - early 1900's they were chroming everything it seemed! They loved the stuff :lol:
I should specify the piece is cast iron (the chrome is just a plating over it that is fairly inexpensive to do).

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 9:09 am

Mpalum956 wrote:
I would very much like to have a professional do it if I could convince my wife to let me take it somewhere. It would need to be within driving distance of Maine.

Mike

Nice stove and welcome to the forum, if you had filled out your profile I would have spoke up sooner. There is a foundry in maine and I believe it is in Auburn and they can help you with the plating as well, good luck, Mike. P.S. I know a guy from maine that drove to california :lol:

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 9:45 am

I'm not sure you are aware of exactly what you have there. Your stove is a high quality anthracite burning base burner. It's not just an quaint, old relic. In fact it's not that at all. It is a highly engineered, scientifically designed heating appliance which achieves the highest levels of efficiency of almost any heating appliance made. It is worlds more efficient than any new coal stove made today.
Your stove is worth every penny you spend on restoring it and returning it to use. It will pay for itself in a short time by saving you gobs of money on your heating costs.

You need to have your stove professionally restored.

The place to get your stove restored is Antique Stove Hospital. Emery is tops in the field. He is hard to catch because he is extremely busy. You also might not know but the demand for base burners has blown through the roof and you have won have the battle by even having one in your possession. Be persistent in calling Emery. Or just take the stove to him.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 10:29 am

Mike, the small crack in the firepot could probably be welded, if you know a good welder man, he can do it. Then welded or not, have a liner to protect the firepot.
Emery is one of the best to restore an antique stove. Sometime it's fast and easy to e-mail him and get an answer, sometime it's longer but be patient, usually good ""things"" take a longer time to arrive :D
William is right: you have a super stove, so well enginered, all is made for a special reason on these stoves. Even the outside ornaments have a particular function. A multi-mica stove gives a very nice fire viewing but also a very effective heat radiation. You will love that stove.
A pro. restoration would be a good choice if you feel better that way. A poorly restored stove will remain a poor stove. On that point, I can't be wrong... and if you have to pay for a restoration, pay to have the job correctly done :!:
I send a photo showing my small Golden Bride base burner on the job. It's a very small one but can match a much bigger stove than him. I'm always amazed about how these stoves can have a so high heat output.
Yes, I know that somes will say I love photos but it ""may"" be the truth :?: :lol:

Attachments

DSC04221.JPG
.JPG | 96.6KB | DSC04221.JPG
Last edited by nortcan on Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 10:30 am

Chrome turns blue when heated. The early stoves and cars used nickle which has more of a gold cast to it and is much more attractive.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Mar. 12, 2013 10:35 am

franco b wrote:Chrome turns blue when heated. The early stoves and cars used nickle which has more of a gold cast to it and is much more attractive.
Franco, did you ever heard about antique ""white"" nickel plating? I read that some compagny made it in the past. I read that in an old antique stoves catalog I have here, but I will have to take a few minutes to find the book :oops:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”