Bringing New Life to My New Gem Dockash Stove

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Feb. 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Just saw this stove on Ebay...it was just exactly what I was looking for. It is beautiful!
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Wed. Feb. 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Photog200 wrote:Just saw this stove on Ebay...it was just exactly what I was looking for. It is beautiful!
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Right around the corner from my house..

dj

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Mar. 17, 2013 10:30 pm

I am adopting another member to the family this weekend. I am not sure yet if I will be able to burn coal in it yet though. I am getting an antique, 1911 cook stove. It is the Colonial Clarion made by Wood and Bishop in Bangor Maine. The current grates that are in it I am sure I will not be able to burn coal because they were warped just from burning wood. The stove was completely restored and I think they replaced them with inferior steel. In any case, I will at least be bringing a beautiful stove back to use. I have photos of the stove but since this is a coal forum, will not post unless there is interest in seeing them.

Randy

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Mar. 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Photog200 wrote:I am adopting another member to the family this weekend. I am not sure yet if I will be able to burn coal in it yet though. I am getting an antique, 1911 cook stove. It is the Colonial Clarion made by Wood and Bishop in Bangor Maine. The current grates that are in it I am sure I will not be able to burn coal because they were warped just from burning wood. The stove was completely restored and I think they replaced them with inferior steel. In any case, I will at least be bringing a beautiful stove back to use. I have photos of the stove but since this is a coal forum, will not post unless there is interest in seeing them.

Randy
Addicted to these antique stoves? No, I can quit anytime, I really can, no really I can. LOL

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Mar. 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Good news about the cook stove I am picking up soon. Bryant stoves said they think they might have the original patterns for coal grates! Yahoo!

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 9:31 pm

I converted my Glenwood 208C from wood to coal. You need the grates, gears and the frame that they sit in. You also need to remove the wood liners and make a refractory liner. The small door in front (front of firebox) on mine has a tab that covered the hole for the grate end to stick through. The wood shaker was in the middle of that plate and the coal is offset to one side. Make sure that have the frame and gears also. Most all the cookstoves back then could come set up for wood or coal.

Attachments

Glen1.JPG
.JPG | 69.8KB | Glen1.JPG

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 10:17 pm

IMG_0155.jpg
.JPG | 175.5KB | IMG_0155.jpg
SteveZee wrote:I converted my Glenwood 208C from wood to coal. You need the grates, gears and the frame that they sit in. You also need to remove the wood liners and make a refractory liner. The small door in front (front of firebox) on mine has a tab that covered the hole for the grate end to stick through. The wood shaker was in the middle of that plate and the coal is offset to one side. Make sure that have the frame and gears also. Most all the cookstoves back then could come set up for wood or coal.
Bryant Stove Co. told me that it would need the the frame and gears. They said this one was available set up for wood or coal as well. Hopefully, they will have the original patterns so we can have the grates made. I have used the stove the last couple of days and cannot believe how hot it gets with very little fire in it.

I pulled the end panel off the stove this weekend because it was clogged with creosote. The previous owner never cleaned it out. Well, not only was it clogged with creosote but mice had plugged it right full with fiberglass insulation ( they had not used the stove in a few years). I pulled almost a kitchen size trash bag full out of the underside of the oven.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 10:19 pm

IMG_0154.jpg
.JPG | 143KB | IMG_0154.jpg
Here she is in her temporary home in my garage. I want to put an addition on the back of the house for an inclosed / outdoor kitchen.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 10:30 pm

I was amazed by the efficiency of this stove as it reminds me of the baseburners. When the lever is pushed to engage the oven, the exhaust goes down through a chamber, around the bottom of the oven then back up and out the chimney. Even when burning wood, it is very efficient!

This will be my last post about the cookstove in this thread. If there is more interest in it, I will start a new thread for a coal conversion cook stove.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Mar. 25, 2013 8:27 am

Photog200 wrote:I was amazed by the efficiency of this stove as it reminds me of the baseburners. When the lever is pushed to engage the oven, the exhaust goes down through a chamber, around the bottom of the oven then back up and out the chimney. Even when burning wood, it is very efficient!

This will be my last post about the cookstove in this thread. If there is more interest in it, I will start a new thread for a coal conversion cook stove.
That's right Photog,

I thought the same thing on mine when I throw that oven lever. Really nice stove by the way and looks in great nick. They make very good heat too. I like the warming oven above. Nice feature.

One thing that I'm sure you have discovered is the importence of keeping that chamber around the oven clean. I have a tool made for that. It fits through a small rectangle after removing a plate under the oven shelf and scrapes creosote or fly ash from under the oven. It does accumulate and needs to be cleaned out every couple of month when running constantly. Beauty of a stove though and I hope they can get you the parts.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Mar. 25, 2013 10:27 am

SteveZee wrote:
Photog200 wrote:I was amazed by the efficiency of this stove as it reminds me of the baseburners. When the lever is pushed to engage the oven, the exhaust goes down through a chamber, around the bottom of the oven then back up and out the chimney. Even when burning wood, it is very efficient!

That's right Photog,

I thought the same thing on mine when I throw that oven lever. Really nice stove by the way and looks in great nick. They make very good heat too. I like the warming oven above. Nice feature.

One thing that I'm sure you have discovered is the importence of keeping that chamber around the oven clean. I have a tool made for that. It fits through a small rectangle after removing a plate under the oven shelf and scrapes creosote or fly ash from under the oven. It does accumulate and needs to be cleaned out every couple of month when running constantly. Beauty of a stove though and I hope they can get you the parts.
Steve, the stove was only used 2-3 years (at least that is what I was told) after the restoration by Bryant Stove Co in Maine. The nickel is in great shape, and the only thing that needed work on is the grates.
I ordered a tool yesterday for raking the area around and under the oven. My clean-out panel is right behind the ash pan. The warming oven is a unique one as it not only has a roll top but it is made of cast iron (except for the door) That sucker was heavy to put on top of the stove by myself! I am keeping my fingers crossed about the coal grates.
Randy

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Mar. 25, 2013 11:06 am

That's a smart design putting the clean out behind the ash pan since you cal rake the stuff into the pan. Mine, is in front of the oven and below the shelf. You need to spread newspapers and have a shop vac handy when pulling the stuff out. This was an old picture when it was still burning wood. That is maybe 2 months build up of creosote. :shock: You can see the tool I was talking about in the pix.

Attachments

creosote.JPG
.JPG | 71.4KB | creosote.JPG

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Mar. 25, 2013 12:13 pm

SteveZee wrote:That's a smart design putting the clean out behind the ash pan since you cal rake the stuff into the pan. Mine, is in front of the oven and below the shelf. You need to spread newspapers and have a shop vac handy when pulling the stuff out. This was an old picture when it was still burning wood. That is maybe 2 months build up of creosote. :shock: You can see the tool I was talking about in the pix.
I do have to take the ash pan out to get to the clean out but there is a basin there to catch the stuff and the shop vac should take care of that. I asked the former owner how to clean out the underside of the oven and he said vacuum cleaner...obviously did not ever clean it out. I found the clean out by accident when I was cementing seams. You should have seen the creosote I got out and the fiberglass insulation. Your tool looks just like the one I ordered, hopefully it will get shipped today. Got it at Woodsman's Parts Plus in NH.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Mar. 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Photog200 wrote:
SteveZee wrote:That's a smart design putting the clean out behind the ash pan since you cal rake the stuff into the pan. Mine, is in front of the oven and below the shelf. You need to spread newspapers and have a shop vac handy when pulling the stuff out. This was an old picture when it was still burning wood. That is maybe 2 months build up of creosote. :shock: You can see the tool I was talking about in the pix.
I do have to take the ash pan out to get to the clean out but there is a basin there to catch the stuff and the shop vac should take care of that. I asked the former owner how to clean out the underside of the oven and he said vacuum cleaner...obviously did not ever clean it out. I found the clean out by accident when I was cementing seams. You should have seen the creosote I got out and the fiberglass insulation. Your tool looks just like the one I ordered, hopefully it will get shipped today. Got it at Woodsman's Parts Plus in NH.
I got the ash scraper today and I did not think it was going to reach all the way to the other end of the stove but it did reach. It is a good thing it is flexible steel because you have to bend it slightly to get it into the clean out hole. Because it is down into the ash bin, there is a 2-3" drop down to the base. Looks like it is going to work out.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”