Picked up Today...Crawford #2 Baseheater

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Feb. 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Well after a couple false starts it has happened. I am now the proud owner of a Crawford #2 Baseheater. The stove is in GREAT shape and once I have her put back together and her spot in the house ready to go she will be fired up! Should be less than 48 hours! The grates and firepot and in awesome shape. The chrome near perfect and the price literally blew me away. Not to mention it is the PERFECT size for what I need.

I fully expected this stove to need some work. So much so I had Larry Trainer meet me with his trailer at the sellers house so he could take the stove to his shop and get her ready for me. Larry actually beat me to the sellers house and I could tell by the look of his face when I arrived that I had found a gem of a stove. I promise I will post pictures of the stove once she is installed. Right now I am still giddy with excitement. GIDDY!

The seller has a couple of Glenwood baseheaters for sale as well. He also has some nice pot belly stoves too and some other coal and wood units. If anyone would like more info please drop me a PM and I will send you the sellers email address.

Publicly I would like to thank NEPA Baseheater Guru Wsherrick for his help and advice and my good friend Larry at Chubby Stoves for all of his help. I would not have been able to buy this stove with their help and advice

kstone
Baseburners & Antiques: Andes 14 crown
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by kstone » Tue. Feb. 12, 2013 5:58 pm

I think I had seen the add on CL hope its a nice stove I was interested but from picture it seem really close in size and output too the plymouth 14 I have. I would love to see more picture off the stove and is it a full base heater or like mine and just a back pipe I am the best at kicking myself for not replying to add for that stove but blizzard and all got kinda busy glad to see it went to someone on here.

hope to see more pictures

Kstone
\

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Feb. 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Kstone

It is a baseheater. I had actualy agreed to buy the stove 2 weeks ago but had some issues in getting down there to pick it up. Thankfully the seller is a great guy and he held the stove for me. If it is the same stove you saw, the pictures do not do it any justice. I am still in awe over how good of shape it is in.

I will post some pictures in the next day or so. Right now the stove is in several pieces waiting to get put back together.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 2:26 am

Excellent !! You have done well young Skywalker.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 7:09 am

Congrats on the good find! Always an exciting day to bring home a new stove, and it sounds like you brought home a beauty.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Feb. 14, 2013 1:04 am

This is a Crawford Base Heater, one of the most efficient and well designed stoves ever made.
This one has the internally suspended fire pot in it and it will deliver efficiency without many equals.
If you have ever had any kind of a standard stove before and remember how much heat it put out for how much coal consumed, get ready for a big, pleasant surprise.
The thing about these is that they are strictly anthracite animals. They are not designed for wood use at all, many of them have been ruined by people trying to force chunks of wood down their throats.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Feb. 14, 2013 3:44 pm

The Crawford #2 is all in the house now ready to be put back together and installed this weekend. (With a little luck!) First I have to move/remove the Woodstock Soapstone stove that the No 2 will replace. It is a 450lb BEAST of a stove that has served us well. But coal is the future in the house. 8-)

While looking at the Crawford today I am amazed at how deep the firepot it and the construction of the stove in general is amazing. 24 hour burns should not be problem. These old stoves are truely things of beauty and function. I haven't been able to locate a date of manufacture on the stove. If anyone out there has an idea about how old of stove this is I would love to know. I have googled for Crawford info but haven't found much. I think the stove is around 100 years old.

I am sure will be very happy with "her". I will post some pics this weekend.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 14, 2013 4:47 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:........ blah.blah......... she will be fired up! Should be less than 48 hours!.......... I promise I will post pictures of the stove once she is installed. Right now I am still giddy with excitement. GIDDY!
O.K. GIDDY!!!..I had lunch at Monte's in east lynn and drove past saugus with your pizza....ooooooooh taste good! I want pictures! :taz:

Couldn't help it, I'm happy for you OD. Like my name sake Mike on "Holmes on Homes" say's, " do it right the first time " look forward to the stove *censored*!

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Thu. Feb. 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Congrats on the new stove, it sounds like a beauty! Got mine in the house today, it is all polished and painted up. (not hooked up yet though)

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Feb. 14, 2013 6:18 pm

M.A.

If you want GREAT pizza try J&M Sub's pizza. It is the best in town. They are on Central St just passed Saugus Center. The best local pizza (North Shore area) is Santarpio's in Peabody and East Boston. I have had dreams about their pizza... Food dreams that is... Stove *censored* coming.....

Photog

Thanks! If you are like me you can't wait to get the stove hooked up! But like M.A. said do it right the first time and that is my plan. If it takes longer so be it. :D

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Feb. 14, 2013 9:34 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:M.A.

If you want GREAT pizza try J&M Sub's pizza. It is the best in town. They are on Central St just passed Saugus Center. The best local pizza (North Shore area) is Santarpio's in Peabody and East Boston. I have had dreams about their pizza... Food dreams that is... Stove *censored* coming.....

Photog

Thanks! If you are like me you can't wait to get the stove hooked up! But like M.A. said do it right the first time and that is my plan. If it takes longer so be it. :D
Contrary to my wife's knowledge, I am on the look out for a coal burning fireplace insert so I am living vicariously through your enjoyment :shh:

I grew up in Newton, "Nonantum", "the lake" so Santarpio's in Easta' Boston was a right of passage, Giavelli's is-a-nice-a-too! cioa bella!

kstone
Baseburners & Antiques: Andes 14 crown
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by kstone » Fri. Feb. 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Any picture yet was that the stoves in Avon mass ?

Love to no pot size and dimensions and. PICTURES LOL

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri. Feb. 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Sounds like you scored a GREAT STOVE!...that is just as good as it gets I hope you get to enjoy it like the rest of us Antique stove owners...they are Pretty, neat, conversation pcs. and yet SUPER FUNCTIONAL HEAT MAKING MACHINES!...the Old Masters built quality units back in the day that still survive and can do there job 100+ yrs. later, to me that is just plain exceptional in todays throw away world.
Please post some pics and let us know how she performs like I know she will...again Congrats!
Tim

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Feb. 15, 2013 5:39 pm

We all still wait to see that beauty, ask Larry to send some photos directly to the forum :lol:
Bravo pour cet achat. Vous allez aimer ce poele.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Feb. 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Kstone

I will have pics on Saturday. Yes the stove was in Avon. The pot size is 11inches round and it is DEEP. Haven't measured how deep it is but it is very deep. (At least to me) Should have no problems with 24 plus hours burns. I will measure the depth and let you know.

Pierre

I have the stove at my house. Turned out Larry didn't need to do anything to the stove. It is in GREAT shape and ready to use. Once I put her back together and get the her in her new spot in the house. .

Tim

I am so happy I got this unit. A fully functional piece of history. Amazing!! I have a funny feeling this will not be the only Antique stove I will own.. Already have my eye on another....

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”