Question About A Glenwood Oak 40 I've Found

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello everyone. Haven't posted in a number of years, as I have been happily heating our house in western New Hampshire with two Grand Godins and a Petit Godin. I've loved the Grand Godins, but they seem to use a lot of coal and the coal dust is really a pain.

I have a Smith Anthony Pearl Hub 1910 range I've been considering letting the guys at Antique Stove Hospital restore. After a couple of lengthy discussions with them, they advised me that the Grand Godins are very inefficient, and that I have been wasting a lot of coal (money) using them to heat with. They recommended I get a Glenwood Oak, base heater or even a City Glenwood (hybrid) which are the best and most efficient of the cylinder stoves. After I hung up from speaking with Emery, I signed onto eBay, and immediately found a City Glenwood in Rhode Island. I did Buy it Now for $85.00, since the owner stated it was complete with all trim. It turns out it may be missing the top beauty ring, but it appears the fenders are both there. I plan to pick it up next weekend, and restore it this summer. I'll need to find a beauty ring - maybe Emery can help? Of course, I was just down to RI last weekend to pickup a Lange 6303A I bought for $75 on eBay (for my woodshop).

While returning from picking up a ton of nut coal today, I stumbled upon a really nice Glenwood Oak 40 at a second hand store (I know he's had it a while). It appears complete, has the correct 3 sided coal grates, and no cracks I can see. He's asking $875. I'm considering making an offer of $800 (on layaway). I know from my recent studies that these are GREAT stoves. It appears that the 40 is not very common. It needs a complete rebuild, of course.

My question is should I grab it for my kitchen at that price? Would it produce too much heat for one large room? I don't really want to spend the money right now, but I hate to pass a beautiful Glenwood jewel by.

Any advise is greatly appreciated - Chris

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Does it have the indirect back pipe? The Glenwood Oak 40 is the largest of the Glenwood Oak line. It will heat a whole house.

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Chris,
Why don't you let me hang around with you for a few days. You're apparently a baseheater magnet! :lol:
Congrats on the find(s).

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19

Post by chrisbuick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

In my experience, when I start looking, I find, which can bankrupt you!

Yes - it does have the indirect back pipe

Should I get it - is it a killer price, or so so. Now I'm afraid I'll loose it.

More input would be very helpful.

Chris

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 3:51 pm

As William has warned it may be too big.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes, that is a steal at that price, even if it needs a complete restoration. If I found it, I don't think I could resist it, even though I need another stove like a hole in the head. They are such beautiful, well designed stoves.
It is however, way too big for a single room. If I were you I would find a place to instal it even if I had to make a new chimney for it.

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Well, I just called the dealer and he was kind enough to put a hold on the stove until I can come in tomorrow to look it over again. He says it belonged to a Cavendish Vermont dealer who had terminal cancer.

He's open to offers - yea !!

I live in a 1793 early Federal house with a back kitchen ell. We are currently only using the front half, but plan to restore the whole room, which will have cathedral ceilings, with ceiling girts and beams exposed. That will make the room HUGE (roughly 20 X 30) - hence my consideration of the Oak 40.

Still to big for that size space?

Chris

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Is the 20x30' room open to other parts of the house?

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 4:21 pm

No - It's a very compartmentalized house. Just to small doors into the main house.

Chris

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 5:07 pm

What I would think about, since the end of the room which Tee's into the rest of the house will be adjacent and open to both stories of the front part of the house, would be to put some nice, large vents into the upper story. This would allow for a large convection current to flow from all of the heat that will accumulate up in the vaulted ceiling into the upstairs and the cool air will return through the doors back into the kitchen from the bottom floor. The star case will work as a return air. You just have to keep the doors open.

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Hey - That's a great idea. We have no heat but electric radiators in the upstairs of the main house. Bringing the warm/hot air in the vaulted ceiling into the bedrooms might work!

Thanks for that great tip.

Chris

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Anyway, at that price don't miss that stove. Once you get it, you Have it and you can fix the house set up later while you admire the stove :)
BTW, if someone have a photo showing a Glenwood Oak 40, it would be great to see that stove. Thanks.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Ask and Ye shall receive. A Glenwood Oak No 40

Attachments

DSC00197_t.jpg

Glenwood Oak No 40. Circa 1900.

.JPG | 17.5KB | DSC00197_t.jpg

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 10:18 pm

wsherrick wrote:Ask and Ye shall receive. A Glenwood Oak No 40
Thanks Will. Very nice stove, from the photo the stove doesn't look bigger than a No 6, is it really? How would you describe the Oak 40 if compared to a No 6?
Thanks

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Here's a picture of a Glenwood Oak 40. I can't figure out how to upload more than one picture?

Attachments

Glenwood Oak 40.jpg
.JPG | 17.5KB | Glenwood Oak 40.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”