Is the Glenwood Model E Cookstove Coal or Wood Burner?

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 12:10 pm

how efficient would it be to have a coal burning cook stove in the basement? Does anyone know if the Glenwood E cookstove is a
coal or wood burner, or maybe both? thanks for the info
ann

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 4:23 pm

I believe the "E" is wood only. Im not sure if their was an optional coal liner/pot for it though? If your using it for intermitant cooking and not heating your house with it (like our forfathers did) you would surly not need coal for it anyways.

nikonmom

Post by nikonmom » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 4:35 pm

my thought was to use it like a continuos coal stove, but I could cook on it when I am ready, kind of like an AGA, but since it would heat the basement, the upper floor would be warm. don't know if this would work, but I dearly would love to have a cook stove (antique) 6 burner, etc. while I am heating the house.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 4:50 pm

nikonmom wrote:my thought was to use it like a continuos coal stove, but I could cook on it when I am ready, kind of like an AGA, but since it would heat the basement, the upper floor would be warm. don't know if this would work, but I dearly would love to have a cook stove (antique) 6 burner, etc. while I am heating the house.
Its a great thought for sure... but I should warn you these cook stoves are not designed like a typical coal burner and as such its probably not wise to use it as a continuous heater. I would question the air tightness of them and the ability for over night burns first and then question the draft ability (in terms of baffles, dampers, etc. which will directly relate to its efficiency. I know this is not what you wish to hear but maybe getting a nice used coal stove (you can find for as little as $200) and a nice cookstove also (as little as $400)... new gaskets, paint and then have the best of both worlds!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”