Antique Stove Vs Modern Used Stove

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Jan. 22, 2013 5:38 am

"What are you talking about smells? I believe this Plymouth is in daily use. There is a thread about it from last year."

Antique cast iron stoves have in inherent problem of not being able to remain air tight unless you have reconditioned it, base burners in particular have a design in which the gases do not flow up and out the stove but rather up down around and back up... this allows for the potential of smells in a way that a solid welded stove does not.

Hope that helps explain it somewhat.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Jan. 22, 2013 9:00 am

I have 2 bases burners, one almost new from 1874 and the second one from around 1905 and never had any smelt. The chimney's draft is a first thing to check if having some inside the house odors.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Jan. 22, 2013 5:13 pm

nortcan wrote:I have 2 bases burners, one almost new from 1874 and the second one from around 1905 and never had any smelt. The chimney's draft is a first thing to check if having some inside the house odors.
Its like the whistle of the train passing your house... you don't notice it after awhile (but your guests surly know you are burning something their). Unless those 100 year old beauties have been refurbished it is highly unlikely they are truly air tight. These stoves are screwed and glued together and no way does that glue last 100 years. This is not to say that I don't think these classics are bad (I love them!), but a couple differences with a solid welded steel stove is maintenance and yes smell (however minimal it may be, it will be more minimal with the solid welded stove).

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Jan. 22, 2013 6:13 pm

You know Mr Crane, in fact they don't even need to be airtight so much. What I mean is the stove Must be airtight from under the loading door only to the base of the stove. On the Sunnyside I didn't even sealed the micas on the 3 loading doors. They are loose in the back supports and I even made some opening at the bottom of the 2 centered side mica to see if that could bring some over the fire air.
Plus that stove ,Baltimore Heater Bases Burner has a 4" outlet connector only, the 2 tubes at the back serving to bring the gases to the base then to the outlet is also 4" diam. only. Finally the outlet connector has a MPD in it. So all is there to give a lot of in-home odors but if I tell you that we don't have any in-home odors, it's because we DON'T have any.
Modern stoves are modern stoves but Antique Stoves are something very different in many ways. I got 5 brand new stoves but none come close to the 2 Antique ones.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”