Picked up a 1928 Oakland #6 Baseheater! Heres My Plan

ez2remember

Post by ez2remember » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 1:20 pm

oakland 6.jpg
.JPG | 154.1KB | oakland 6.jpg
oakland 6 2.jpg
.JPG | 151.4KB | oakland 6 2.jpg
So after doing extensive research I felt that this stove would do a great job at heating my home (mostly). I got it from Doug at barnstable stove and he was telling me that this is exactly the same as a glenwood #6 and that it's a fantastic item. I am putting it in the basement and I will be venting it through-wall with a Duravent through-wall chimney kit. Im really excited about this project since it will likely pay for itself in about 2 years time.

Heres the way I am planning on venting. Right off the vertical cast elbow will be a 5" pipe section with a MPD followed by 24" pipe followed by my baro damper, then a 90* elbow and a 24" horizontal straight pipe to the wall thimble. Ill be using single wall stove pipe and that will hook up to the chimney kit which is triple wall SS, Does that sound good?
Im giong to have a thermometer on both the furnace and the end of the stove pipe to monitor the temps of each. This coupled with several quality CO and fire detectors and I think it should be a pretty good setup. Ill be running anthracite nut. Does anyone have any recommendations for me or does anyone see any problems with a set up like this?

Thanks guys! any help is much appreciated
-Steve

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 2:35 pm

ez..... sounds good to me. That is one mighty fine looking heating machine. The best of luck with her. There are other members on this site that have similiar stoves and will be glad to help you along if you need help or have any questions. Let us know how she perfoms for you. When she is all hooked up and burning could you post some pictures for us. Again, really nice stove. ;)

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Awesome buy! So did you have the luxury of going to the shop and picking it out ?

I'm calling Doug tomorrow to put a deposit on my base heater :) I'm going with the Glenwood #6

I am interested to hear about your progress with this stove! William would be the one to speak with about the set up. I wonder how the direct line out kit will function with the base heater mode .

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Man, that is a beautiful stove. Nice buy, I'm sure it will serve you well.

ez2remember

Post by ez2remember » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 3:42 pm

I did go to the shop in person. I drove 530 miles round trip to do it too!

There were some really impressive machines in there and Doug was a really nice guy. I ordered up all my chimney parts and I am tackling the venting as soon as it gets here sometime next week. I think the direct vent should work fine in base burner mode. I think Williams is set up that way as well.
Im going to be putting in a Cold air return on my main level from the end of a dead-end hallway, and I will put it 1 hot-air vent in each of the bedrooms (also at the end of the hallway).
I am putting a lot of money into this setup and I REALLY hope it is going to pay off so I don't have to burn oil to heat the house any more. Fingers crossed!

-Steve

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 3:48 pm

That's a real pretty stove you bought there Steve, I bet your real excited to get it installed. Some use the baro and some don't just the mpd but I'm not getting that started I will leave it for others.

In the one picture showing the smoke shelf, I see the shaker handle but what is the other item that looks like a screen of some sort ?

Your missing the loading door handle or is it the picture ?

Are you going to pick it up or is Doug shipping it, when are you expecting to have it ?

Again congrats, she's a real beauty and make sure to take a lot of pictures for us.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Steve, if there was an "emoticon" for drooling, I'ld put about 10 of them up. I envy you guys with those classic stoves. My farmhouse is turn of the century, and that style would look great in my "coral", I just build last yr. What are they rated at for BTUs and where is the stack outlet placed? I'm assuming in the back, but is it low or high? Good luck with it. And if the heat output isn't enuff, I'll buy it from you, or it'll make a nice conversation piece if nothing else.

ez2remember

Post by ez2remember » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 4:46 pm

echos67 wrote:That's a real pretty stove you bought there Steve, I bet your real excited to get it installed. Some use the baro and some don't just the mpd but I'm not getting that started I will leave it for others.

In the one picture showing the smoke shelf, I see the shaker handle but what is the other item that looks like a screen of some sort ?

Your missing the loading door handle or is it the picture ?

Are you going to pick it up or is Doug shipping it, when are you expecting to have it ?

Again congrats, she's a real beauty and make sure to take a lot of pictures for us.
I actually have it already,. I picked it up from Doug yesterday. 530 mile drive round trip! It's sitting in my basement awaiting the chimney parts. Im super excited about it. All the parts are there, it's just the pics were taken during teardown. That screen isn't mine, he must have just put that there to take the picture.

Thanks again.

ez2remember

Post by ez2remember » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 4:47 pm

joeq wrote:Steve, if there was an "emoticon" for drooling, I'ld put about 10 of them up. I envy you guys with those classic stoves. My farmhouse is turn of the century, and that style would look great in my "coral", I just build last yr. What are they rated at for BTUs and where is the stack outlet placed? I'm assuming in the back, but is it low or high? Good luck with it. And if the heat output isn't enuff, I'll buy it from you, or it'll make a nice conversation piece if nothing else.
This machine really is purrrty! I am not sure how many BTU's this can put out, but I hope its 90k+ I really couldn't get any sort of figures from my research.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 5:24 pm

That's great you have it already, got a fire in it yet :lol:, heavy girls aren't they ?

Don't forget to be ready to open doors and windows when you first start it, the smoke and smell is pretty rough when it burns off from a restoration !

Does it have the triangular grates and a liner in the fire pot ?

Edit:
Never mind about the liner question, I see the good liner material is already in it !
I also see it has the same shaker door for when the triangular grates are used.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Very nice stove EZ, don't forget the photos :)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Very nice stove EZ, don't forget the photosssssss :)

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Looks like a beauty Steve. I'll start it Keith ;) I would not bother with the baro because you really don't need it. The MPD is all you need because the the stove has a check damper on the elbow and that functions the same as a baro would. You want allot of draft with a base heater as it's pulling through a long path.
My Modern Oak 116 is hooked to a 30 ft chimney and my house is on a hill on the coast. I've had 50mph winds this winter and never came close to needing a baro. These old stoves never had them and don't need them. As I said, they like a lot of draft.
Last edited by SteveZee on Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 7:41 pm

joeq wrote:Steve, if there was an "emoticon" for drooling, I'ld put about 10 of them up.
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
They only let you use 5 in one message....

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Hey lightning, were'ld you find those sloppy little guys? Don't tell me this site carries them all the time! never even looked. Good find, and point taken.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”