Old Fashion Stove Curiousity

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Nov. 28, 2012 1:16 pm

Altho I'm learning my Surdiac as we speak (write?), someday I'ld like to up-grade to a "nicer" stove. My house is a turn of the century farmhouse, and my wife will tell you I've gotten a little too "anal" about keeping our house "period" correct. Not that it qualifies for better homes and garden mags, but if you have to do something, why not do it in a manner that will be beneficial "and' esthetically pleasing.(Which is a relevant term).
I've checked out google images and some of this sites gallery, but am still looking for ideas. I like the looks of some of the old Glenwoods, and saw a neat looking Buckwalters, and I'm sure there are dozens out there that would fit my desires and needs. My surround is built for a rectangular stove, with a rear exit pipe, but I could easily be talked in to a 360 degree stove, if the price and trimmings were right. what I'ld really prefer is an antique stove that will heat my 1500sq/ft home, burn for over a day or 2, look absolutely gorgeous, and cost about $100 bucks. ( :rofl: Yeah...like that's gunna happen)
Being realistic tho, anyone know of a stove with an antique flair, (doesn't need to be), possibly rectangular with rear exit, that I could investigate? thanx

jerryw

Post by jerryw » Wed. Nov. 28, 2012 2:11 pm

I have a waterford wood stanley - I love it and it is old time and gorgeous - I converted firebox to burn wood or coal

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Nov. 28, 2012 5:11 pm

sweet looking stove Jerry, (just saw one on the net). I was at a flea market yrs ago, and showed one to the wife, (asking price $500.) She took one look at it, then at me, and said,"if you buy it,you're cooking on it'. (So much for that). As much as I like the looks of it, it wouldn't look right in the location it would go. Which is in a foyer, so to speak, and the 1st thing guests would see upon entering our house. To me an item such as that fits perfectly in the kitchen, and if it were up to me, I'ld have one. But seeing we're limited on space, (and I'm not the one cooking), I'm looking for other options. but thanx for the input.
Was out and about today, and happened to check out a local used "thrift" store, who just so happen to have an antique coal stove for $150. It was a small roundish pot belly design with claw type feet, and cast on it read, SUN, and under it the #50. It was very simple in design, (which I like), but not sure how much heat it would throw. altho it may work in my oversized 2 car garage. (not another project.. :doh:).

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Nov. 28, 2012 7:25 pm

joeq wrote:sweet looking stove Jerry, (just saw one on the net). I was at a flea market yrs ago, and showed one to the wife, (asking price $500.) She took one look at it, then at me, and said,"if you buy it,you're cooking on it'. (So much for that). As much as I like the looks of it, it wouldn't look right in the location it would go. Which is in a foyer, so to speak, and the 1st thing guests would see upon entering our house. To me an item such as that fits perfectly in the kitchen, and if it were up to me, I'ld have one. But seeing we're limited on space, (and I'm not the one cooking), I'm looking for other options. but thanx for the input.
Was out and about today, and happened to check out a local used "thrift" store, who just so happen to have an antique coal stove for $150. It was a small roundish pot belly design with claw type feet, and cast on it read, SUN, and under it the #50. It was very simple in design, (which I like), but not sure how much heat it would throw. altho it may work in my oversized 2 car garage. (not another project.. :doh:).
The, SUN, stove you were looking at is a laundry stove. It is designed for short, hot fires to heat water and flat irons to do the wash. It would not work as a heating stove for your house too well. Many stoves such as Cannon Heaters and such were designed for open spaces and big buildings, for example; and not meant for a home. The perfect stove is out there for you. You must first learn about the different designs, their usage and what would fit the space you are looking to heat.
Ask away, we will be more than happy to advise you.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Nov. 28, 2012 9:36 pm

The perfect stove is out there for you. You must first learn about the different designs, their usage and what would fit the space you are looking to heat.

That's why I'm hear guys, to learn from the masters. I've heard of these "railroad" stoves, or caboose stoves, which I never thought about, but makes sense.
I know they'ld be too small for my application, but think they're still interesting pieces.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”