Glenwood 6 Restoration

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Jan. 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey awesome test Keith!

Maybe we should start a thread somewhere about testing materials! The only thing I wonder about is the fact that concrete / cement can explode under extreme heat. I have had fun watching water sweat out of concrete with a oxy acer torch. I wonder how close in molecular composition the cement board is. Now if you want some real heat transfer blocking material try asbestos board! I have some extra asbestos siding I might put a oxy acet torch to trying the same thing you did! But I need a IR thermometer first. Now how many people do you know have that lying around ;) asbetos is some amazing stuff an as long as it isn't crushed and made to become airborne its as safe as anything else ! My house is sided in this. You have opened a whole bunch of science experiments!

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Josh, the hearth is all finished and I was curious how the Hardi Board transferred heat in my application. By the time the heat gets through the tile, the adhesive, and the Hardi Board to cause any problems to my framework it will probably be late Spring or early Summer :lol: . However if I were to do it again I would have used steel studs for the framework or doubled the Hardi Board just for the added protection.

I got a call from the Plating Company (Chrome Black Lake) today giving me my tracking #, my parts are all finished and on their way home :D ! I am guessing they will be here maybe by the end of next week or early the following.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 5:37 pm

echos67 wrote:Josh, the hearth is all finished and I was curious how the Hardi Board transferred heat in my application. By the time the heat gets through the tile, the adhesive, and the Hardi Board to cause any problems to my framework it will probably be late Spring or early Summer :lol: . However if I were to do it again I would have used steel studs for the framework or doubled the Hardi Board just for the added protection.

I got a call from the Plating Company (Chrome Black Lake) today giving me my tracking #, my parts are all finished and on their way home :D ! I am guessing they will be here maybe by the end of next week or early the following.
Woooooooo Hooooooooo!

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 5:56 pm

echos67 wrote:Josh, the hearth is all finished and I was curious how the Hardi Board transferred heat in my application. By the time the heat gets through the tile, the adhesive, and the Hardi Board to cause any problems to my framework it will probably be late Spring or early Summer :lol: . However if I were to do it again I would have used steel studs for the framework or doubled the Hardi Board just for the added protection.

Awesome! Are you going to continually check the tracking number over and over like I do even though you know nothing has changed until it gets there? Lol

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 6:40 pm

Smokeyja wrote:

Awesome! Are you going to continually check the tracking number over and over like I do even though you know nothing has changed until it gets there? Lol
:lol: probably, just can't help myself.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Jan. 12, 2013 8:54 pm

whats the tracking number say now?

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Jan. 13, 2013 7:45 am

It is stuck on the "processed through sort facility ICS NY New York" January 9th.

It has been awhile since I had anything come in from out of the country, but if I remember correctly that means it made it through customs.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Jan. 13, 2013 8:39 pm

echos67 wrote:It is stuck on the "processed through sort facility ICS NY New York" January 9th.

It has been awhile since I had anything come in from out of the country, but if I remember correctly that means it made it through customs.
Damn New York ;)

Fred what's wrong with your state? :junmp:

What country were the parts coming from?

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Jan. 13, 2013 9:14 pm

I had the Nickel replated in Canada, Pierre (Nortican) suggested and used the same place for the parts on his stoves and I thought they turned out great in his pictures. Chrome Black Lake is the company and so far they have been great to deal with, shipping on the other hand was a little salty but that is no fault of theirs.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 8:54 pm

This brown thing was outside the house tonight, it came all the way from Canada !
image.jpg
.JPG | 78.1KB | image.jpg

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 9:00 pm

A lot of packaging inside that thing.
image.jpg
.JPG | 85.8KB | image.jpg

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I am very pleased with the results and would recommend this company to anyone wanting a quality plating job.
Thanks Pierre, Chrome Black Lake did an Outstanding Job !

This is the underside of a boot rest, all the parts look this good on the underside.
image.jpg
.JPG | 312.6KB | image.jpg
Here is the top side of the same part.
image.jpg
.JPG | 355.6KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 344.8KB | image.jpg

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Nice Keith !

That looks great! Now for some on the stove photos!

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 10:08 pm

How about a Nickel Plated Poker !

I sent the entire poker to get just the handle plated and the entire piece came back plated, too nice to use it now but I like it :D .
image.jpg
.JPG | 158.3KB | image.jpg

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Jan. 15, 2013 10:24 pm

image.jpg
.JPG | 119.6KB | image.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”