Glenwood 6 Restoration

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Thu. Dec. 06, 2012 10:00 pm

wsherrick wrote:
Smokeyja wrote: So the actual underneath, where the ash would be is what heats up? I knew they circulated flue gases back down and then up but between the air space from the legs raising it up that the actuall underside became that hot.
It depends on how hot the stove is being operated at. These stoves can be safely and regularly operated up to 700 degrees as a normal thing. I rarely run mine over 500, but; when it is running that hot the base heating chamber gets several hundred degrees hot. I don't think it is a danger to a normally designed hearth, but; it is something to keep in mind.
I can't take my ash pan out without hot pad holders when I'm running in base burner mode (that's like all the time). Even if I'm running down low, the ash pan is to hot to hold. The other day I forgot to flip the switch to base burner mode and when I went to take the ash pan out, I could carry it to my ash dump with my bare hands. There is a very large difference between base burner mode and not...

dj

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Yes Keith: GOOD LUCK :D . In fact you don't even need luck, just time...but the look will be fantastic with these nice tiles.....and the stove on. Just keep on imaginating the finished result...

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Well I got my weekends mixed up, the wife works next weekend so I wasnt able to reach my goal, she had me busy with other things. I did however get all the tile cut and set, tomorrow evening I should be able to grout all these tile and then I will be ready to move on to the walls.
Tile -2.jpg
.JPG | 114.5KB | Tile -2.jpg
Tile -3.jpg
.JPG | 104.2KB | Tile -3.jpg

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2012 4:55 pm

She is shaping up just fine. You are alomost there. The stove is going to look really good there.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Dec. 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks Buck24,

I made a small amount of progress over this weekend. The wife is keeping me busy with Christmas things, work is actually very busy and taking alot of extra time, and the Holidays in general are making my time to work on the hearth very scarce.

I was able to get all the steel studs notched and cut for hanging the Hardi Board. I also got the pieces of metal installed for the trim in the 1" air gap areas at the top and bottom of the walls, and lastly I was able to get the Hardi Board installed on the walls with all the joints taped off. Next is the ceramic tile :) .
Walls -1.jpg
.JPG | 74.2KB | Walls -1.jpg
Air Gap -1.jpg
.JPG | 119.8KB | Air Gap -1.jpg
Walls -2.jpg
.JPG | 87.8KB | Walls -2.jpg
Air Gap -2.jpg
.JPG | 85.2KB | Air Gap -2.jpg
Walls -4.jpg
.JPG | 73KB | Walls -4.jpg

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 5:40 pm

I received an email today from the plating company Chrome Black Lake that contains pictures showing the progress of my parts. I thought this was really cool that they took the time to take the pictures and send them to me in an email and I didnt even ask :up: so far it has been a great experience with the guys there and it looks like quality work ! Thanks for the reccomendation Pierre :D

I don't know the process very well for replating parts but they already look better than when I sent them out :lol:
CBL -1.jpg
.JPG | 168.8KB | CBL -1.jpg
CBL -2.jpg
.JPG | 150.9KB | CBL -2.jpg
CBL -3.jpg
.JPG | 147.5KB | CBL -3.jpg
CBL -4.jpg
.JPG | 157.9KB | CBL -4.jpg
CBL -5.jpg
.JPG | 73.5KB | CBL -5.jpg

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Looking good, you may want to do the Finial in part copper.

Attachments

IMG_4686.jpg
.JPG | 94.4KB | IMG_4686.jpg

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 7:30 pm

grumpy wrote:Looking good, you may want to do the Finial in part copper.
That looks great grumpy, it might be too much for my Old Coal Train No 6 but maybe when I find me a mica style BaseHeater to redo !

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Looking good Keith! That's the copper phase after initial cleaning.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 8:38 pm

I know you are excited. The parts look beautiful. Just think, all of the sudden there is going to be this big addition to your home. Even though you've worked on it and thought about it for a long time, when it all comes together it will seem like its all of a sudden.
Get used to the neighbors ogling it.
The woman across the street says when she looks at my stoves, she has, "Stove Envy," :D

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 9:17 pm

SteveZee wrote:Looking good Keith! That's the copper phase after initial cleaning.
So it gets an initial clean, then sanding of old plating, then copper plated and are they scuffing the copper plating for the next phase of plating to adhere too ? What's after copper plating the nickel ? How many coats of nickel usually just one ?

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 9:23 pm

wsherrick wrote:I know you are excited. The parts look beautiful. Just think, all of the sudden there is going to be this big addition to your home. Even though you've worked on it and thought about it for a long time, when it all comes together it will seem like its all of a sudden.
Get used to the neighbors ogling it.
The woman across the street says when she looks at my stoves, she has, "Stove Envy," :D
Your right it is exciting, I wasn't expecting the pictures so that really impresses me.
I can relate to your neighbor lady, I still get stove envy of yours and several other members stoves on here :D !
Your the reason I have this stove Uncle William, and I appreciate the help throughout :cheers:

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 8:21 am

echos67 wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Looking good Keith! That's the copper phase after initial cleaning.
So it gets an initial clean, then sanding of old plating, then copper plated and are they scuffing the copper plating for the next phase of plating to adhere too ? What's after copper plating the nickel ? How many coats of nickel usually just one ?
The copper is like undercoating or priming when painting. It's thicker and done to "fill" imperfections and the nickel is the top coat. One plating yep, and then polished and sometimes (they used to) lacquer or some clear protector. You can tell on the old ones that had the lacquer as it would "yellow" a bit as it aged if not polished off over the years.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 5:58 pm

SteveZee wrote:
echos67 wrote: So it gets an initial clean, then sanding of old plating, then copper plated and are they scuffing the copper plating for the next phase of plating to adhere too ? What's after copper plating the nickel ? How many coats of nickel usually just one ?
The copper is like undercoating or priming when painting. It's thicker and done to "fill" imperfections and the nickel is the top coat. One plating yep, and then polished and sometimes (they used to) lacquer or some clear protector. You can tell on the old ones that had the lacquer as it would "yellow" a bit as it aged if not polished off over the years.
Makes sense, it didn't even cross my mind the copper was used like a primer, pretty cool process thanks.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 21, 2012 8:41 am

Very good job on the stove's future corner home keith :idea:
Hope to see the nickled parts on the stove soon, I'm shure you will get more than (one) the woman next door appreciating your stove :lol: check the line up :D
Keep on the nice work, the end (not the world end :rofl: ) of the resto. is near you.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”