Glenwood 6 Restoration

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 11:15 am

nortcan wrote:Very good job on the stove's future corner home keith :idea:
Hope to see the nickled parts on the stove soon, I'm shure you will get more than (one) the woman next door appreciating your stove :lol: check the line up :D
Keep on the nice work, the end (not the world end :rofl: ) of the resto. is near you.
I hope to make some progress now that I have some time off work for the Holidays but I won't make my original goal of a Christmas Day fire, maybe I can bring in the New Year with one though.

Man it's great to be away from work for several days :smoke: !

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Dec. 25, 2012 5:21 am

echos67 wrote:
nortcan wrote:Very good job on the stove's future corner home keith :idea:
Hope to see the nickled parts on the stove soon, I'm shure you will get more than (one) the woman next door appreciating your stove check the line up
Keep on the nice work, the end (not the world end :rofl: ) of the resto. is near you.
I hope to make some progress now that I have some time off work for the Holidays but I won't make my original goal of a Christmas Day fire, maybe I can bring in the New Year with one though.

Man it's great to be away from work for several days :smoke: !
Come on Keith! You mean to tell me that you don't live for your job? Time off? No way , gotta make money for the company first man! ;)

Haha that's what it feels like at every company I've ever worked for ! The American workaholic dream ... Bleh!

I am glad you got some time off . Hopefully you are taking the day off from any kind of work and relaxing! Merry Christmas

Those plated parts look great btw and it is really cool that the company sent you photos. Look forward to seeing your next step!

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Dec. 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Merry Christmas,

Josh I always say I work to live not live to work, don't get me wrong I do love my job but I love my personal free time a lot more :lol:. I know exactly what your talking about and I often wonder if life passes by those workaholics and they ever have regrets later in life or did they just miss it altogether ?

I plan to be back working on the hearth starting Thursday, have a few errands to run tomorrow and then I'm done with those things and its free time :drunk: !

echos67

Post by echos67 » Fri. Dec. 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Missed it by one box of tile and some daylight :mad:, I will try and get the rest of the tiles set in the am before the snow they are calling for hits.

The windows have been trimmed in metal coil stock with a gap of 2.5" and stuffed with insulation between the original trim and the coil stock.
Wall Tile -1.jpg
.JPG | 85KB | Wall Tile -1.jpg
Wall Tile -2.jpg
.JPG | 97.4KB | Wall Tile -2.jpg
My beautiful wife bought me a piece of coal for Christmas that just turned 9 weeks old today :D ! Just so happens he was born on our Anniversary. He is good when he is sleeping :lol: .
Chase 8 Weeks.jpg
.JPG | 74.7KB | Chase 8 Weeks.jpg

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Dec. 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Ha,ha,ha, excellent Keith. He looks like quite a pup. It's coming along great.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 11:38 am

Very nice job Keith, tiles look so nice, hope to see the stove sitting there this year :D . Just take your time and have fun (as much as possible :lol: ) on that project!
That dog will be all a dog when he will be 10 weeks old :)

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 11:57 am

Alright Keith ! Lookin good. A dog is a great addition to the family and they love coal stoves! Be ready for your favorite warm spot being taken by the dog ;)

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks for the support everyone,

I lost my last Boxer after 10 years of faithful companionship about 7 months ago, I just hope this one is half the pooch he was.

I went this am and grabbed some more tile and finished up the top and bottom rows today, it took longer than I expected because my corners kept breaking away, plus I was cutting outside with snow falling which made for a miserable wet job. Maybe some tile guys can clue me in as to why the tile kept breaking corners but I finally got them all cut and stuck :D ! I had plenty of water in the saw and thought I was keeping the tile square, most of the breaks happened on the left side of the cut but not all.

Tomorrow I can look forward to the grout :x , I am not really feeling that part of it but once it's done I can seal it and move on to the trim and chimney pipe :D .

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 5:22 pm

You picked a good color of tile and it looks like you are doing a professional job. The only other thing I might suggest is that you match the window color with the tile so they don't stick out and detract from the overall appearance. Are you thinking of any sort of window treatment there? I wonder what you could do with the stove being right there too.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks William,

I am open for ideas on the window treatments, the only thing I have in mind so far is a set of metal mini-blinds being mounted in the recess of the trim and close to the glass ? Now if I could find someone to airbrush the tile pattern on those in the closed position that may be interesting (and probably costly).

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Yeah but that would be really cool.. looking good man.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Okay, this is what I've thought of right off the top of my head. Paint the window sash, mullions and trim to match the tile. Pick one of the color variations in the tile to match. I suggest one of the darker colors. Get some copper metallic blinds, or a dark bronze color. That would pull everything together and make a stunning and tasteful stage worthy of the Glenwood. The black and nickel of the stove will contrast with the other colors behind it and the stove will just pop out, yet it will all go together. It will look Turn Of The Century and Modern at the same time.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 11:30 pm

wsherrick wrote:Okay, this is what I've thought of right off the top of my head. Paint the window sash, mullions and trim to match the tile. Pick one of the color variations in the tile to match. I suggest one of the darker colors. Get some copper metallic blinds, or a dark bronze color. That would pull everything together and make a stunning and tasteful stage worthy of the Glenwood. The black and nickel of the stove will contrast with the other colors behind it and the stove will just pop out, yet it will all go together. It will look Turn Of The Century and Modern at the same time.
Hey that's a really good idea William! I'll bet that will look great!

Your only other option is fireproof fabrics like fiberglass welding blankets ;) haha

I really like the copper blinds idea!

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Dec. 30, 2012 9:01 am

grumpy wrote:Yeah but that would be really cool.. looking good man.
Thanks Grumpy !
wsherrick wrote:Okay, this is what I've thought of right off the top of my head. Paint the window sash, mullions and trim to match the tile. Pick one of the color variations in the tile to match. I suggest one of the darker colors. Get some copper metallic blinds, or a dark bronze color. That would pull everything together and make a stunning and tasteful stage worthy of the Glenwood. The black and nickel of the stove will contrast with the other colors behind it and the stove will just pop out, yet it will all go together. It will look Turn Of The Century and Modern at the same time.
That is a Great idea with the colors, the wife likes your choices as well so it looks like the light at the end of the tunnel just got a little dimmer for now :) . I will see what I can find locally for the bronze or copper colored blinds and if I can't find it there I should be able to find it on line, but I may have to go with white on the interim. The paint color should be an easy find locally though.

What about the trim in front of the hearth, I was planning to continue the white 5 1/4" board used on the base throughout to wrap the front and sides ? I actually have these items on hand and will start them soon, but I need to get the walls grouted and sealed today if possible.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Mon. Dec. 31, 2012 10:24 pm

No 6 -3.jpg
.JPG | 93.1KB | No 6 -3.jpg
No 6 -2.jpg
.JPG | 102.8KB | No 6 -2.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”