Installed Our Glenwood Base Heater No. 8

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 10:55 am

Looks like you'll have some left over for next season. Your off to a great start with a great looking stove. I know your going to enjoy it and find out it was well worth the time and effort. :)

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 1:26 pm

OUTSTANDING!....She looks quit at home on the hearth....ENJOY HER FOR MANY MANY YRS. TO COME. :D

Glems111

Post by Glems111 » Sun. Oct. 21, 2012 2:11 pm

WOW, what a beauty. I was just viewing a number 8 stove when I came acroos this site. I was wondering where you purchased the stove from, I am in massachusetts as well and looking . If you could contact me to discuss how the stove is working ect I would be delighted

vfw3439
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal

Post by vfw3439 » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Glems111 wrote:WOW, what a beauty. I was just viewing a number 8 stove when I came acroos this site. I was wondering where you purchased the stove from, I am in massachusetts as well and looking . If you could contact me to discuss how the stove is working ect I would be delighted
Barnstable Stove Company, Barnstable MA

http://www.barnstablestove.com/

I would be glad to discuss the stove with you. Private message me your phone number

vfw3439
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4

Post by vfw3439 » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Burning a nice coal fire tonight.

Attachments

Coal Fire.jpg

Coal Fire

.JPG | 80.2KB | Coal Fire.jpg

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Oct. 25, 2012 8:28 am

Looks lovely Chad. I've had the 116 cruising along for 2 weeks now. last night got nippy at 24 degrees. Had to turn up to 400. ;)

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Thu. Oct. 25, 2012 3:32 pm

SteveZee wrote:Looks lovely Chad. I've had the 116 cruising along for 2 weeks now. last night got nippy at 24 degrees. Had to turn up to 400. ;)
The 6 tons of anthracite coal I got is a mixture of stove and egg size and the Glenwood No. 8 loves it. The burn time and heat output is incredible.
I heated my house for the last 12 years with a wood pellet stove and this antique coal stove is 10 times cleaner to burn. There is hardly no dust in the house compared to the pellet stove. I should have gone with coal 12 years ago.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Oct. 25, 2012 7:50 pm

vfw3439 wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Looks lovely Chad. I've had the 116 cruising along for 2 weeks now. last night got nippy at 24 degrees. Had to turn up to 400. ;)
The 6 tons of anthracite coal I got is a mixture of stove and egg size and the Glenwood No. 8 loves it. The burn time and heat output is incredible.
I heated my house for the last 12 years with a wood pellet stove and this antique coal stove is 10 times cleaner to burn. There is hardly no dust in the house compared to the pellet stove. I should have gone with coal 12 years ago.
Sounds familiar Chad. ;)

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Oct. 26, 2012 2:36 am

I love it when someone finds out about how excellent these stoves are. I talked to Doug at Barnstable about a week ago, and he said that he has a waiting list for Glenwoods as well as any other Base Heater he can get his hands on. It's the same with Emery at the Antique Stove Hospital.
I think we have started a trend...... :roll:

Have any of your skeptical friends and neighbors made any comments about your stove?

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Fri. Oct. 26, 2012 5:51 pm

wsherrick wrote:I love it when someone finds out about how excellent these stoves are. I talked to Doug at Barnstable about a week ago, and he said that he has a waiting list for Glenwoods as well as any other Base Heater he can get his hands on. It's the same with Emery at the Antique Stove Hospital.

Have any of your skeptical friends and neighbors made any comments about your stove?
Hi William,
Since we installed the No.8 we have had a couple of "shindigs" and everyone is amazed at the stove's beauty, quality,design, and craftsmanship. Once we tell them how efficient and clean burning it is, they are in awe. People find it hard to believe that I can heat my house to 76+* F and pay so much less than every other heating source. I have had a couple of family members come over and they were expecting our house to be black and full of creosote. There is such a misconception about heating with anthracite. Thank you for all your coal and heating tutelage.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Oct. 26, 2012 8:56 pm

You can be very proud of that nice stove. It will give you all the heat you need plus a unique look :!:

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Oct. 27, 2012 7:58 am

vfw3439 wrote:
wsherrick wrote:I love it when someone finds out about how excellent these stoves are. I talked to Doug at Barnstable about a week ago, and he said that he has a waiting list for Glenwoods as well as any other Base Heater he can get his hands on. It's the same with Emery at the Antique Stove Hospital.

Hi William,
Since we installed the No.8 we have had a couple of "shindigs" and everyone is amazed at the stove's beauty, quality,design, and craftsmanship. Once we tell them how efficient and clean burning it is, they are in awe. People find it hard to believe that I can heat my house to 76+* F and pay so much less than every other heating source. I have had a couple of family members come over and they were expecting our house to be black and full of creosote. There is such a misconception about heating with anthracite. Thank you for all your coal and heating tutelage.
It is very cool when family members come by and gawk. I had a big family weekend, (last weekend) and everyone was here on Sat night. It was a chilly night that went into the 20's. One of those clear crisp night you get near Halloween. People were gathered around the Glenwood and no one could believe that it heating the whole house and only running at 350 degrees. :D We are fortunate to have converted and I like most wish I'd done it years ago. I do NOT preach the benefits like I used to because it's taking off on it's own and when that happens............well you know the rest of supply and demand. ;)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 27, 2012 9:07 am

I think there is a trend in the works as well, but do you think it will eventually price the stoves out of reach for a lot of people? Like Steve said, supply and demand...

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Oct. 27, 2012 9:27 am

Rob R. wrote:
I think there is a trend in the works as well, but do you think it will eventually price the stoves out of reach for a lot of people? Like Steve said, supply and demand...
These stoves were already priced out of reach for me :? , some I have seen recently are 4k plus and I have driven things alot cheaper back and forth to work everyday :D .I choose to refurbish mine myself because of the prices but that isn't a bad thing because I know this No 6 very well now, not to mention the satisfaction of doing it myself and saving a piece of working history :) .

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Oct. 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Personally I think that's the best way to go Keith. You do get intimate with the working of the stove and can afford to have one, not to mention the confidence of knowing it's done right. The other and probably bigger issue I was talking about with the supply and demand comment was the COAL! That's what I'm afraid of bumping up price wise.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”