Installed Our Glenwood Base Heater No. 8

Davian

Post by Davian » Sun. Nov. 04, 2012 8:59 pm

From one vet to another, thank you.

Also, love the stove. I'd kill for that stove.

vfw3439
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal

Post by vfw3439 » Sun. Nov. 04, 2012 9:01 pm

nortcan wrote:Very nice photo VFW3439, can't be nicer with the stove and your nice déco :!:
Merci mon seigneur :D

vfw3439
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4

Post by vfw3439 » Sun. Nov. 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Davian wrote:From one vet to another, thank you.

Also, love the stove. I'd kill for that stove.
Thank you also for your service! I can't wait to have (US Army Retired) after my name....

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Nov. 04, 2012 9:06 pm

vfw3439 wrote:
wsherrick wrote: Excellent. Tell Doug that I said hello. Tell your friend also about us here, so he can find out he will be in good company.
I will let Doug know you said hello. Doug e-mailed me last night and said he has a new Barnstable Stove T-Shirt for me. What size are you? I will try to get you one also. I will have my friend sign up to NEPA forum this week.

Chad
Thank you very much. I am flattered. I am about a medium size. Please tell me what Doug says when you ask for the T-Shirt.

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Sun. Nov. 04, 2012 9:07 pm

SteveZee wrote:Way cool Chad! Merry Christmas and thanks for your service.
Steve,
Thank you.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Nov. 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I almost forgot. You look very nice in a bowler hat.

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Tue. Nov. 06, 2012 9:41 am

Picture of stove with tile work completed. :D

Attachments

076.JPG
.JPG | 141.4KB | 076.JPG
074.JPG
.JPG | 129.9KB | 074.JPG

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Nov. 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Nic job Chad and just in time to flex it's muscles a bit as it's getting a colder now. It's 28 degrees here right now on the coast and expecting 24 degrees overnight and I'm still doing it all with the 116. Still don't need to the cookstove yet. :D

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Wed. Nov. 07, 2012 4:01 pm

SteveZee wrote:Nic job Chad and just in time to flex it's muscles a bit as it's getting a colder now. It's 28 degrees here right now on the coast and expecting 24 degrees overnight and I'm still doing it all with the 116. Still don't need to the cookstove yet. :D
Thank you Steve.

A couple of nights ago it was 18* F and I had the 2 lower primary dampers opened less than 1/16 of an inch, the secondary air damper was completely shut and the MPD cracked open in the stove pipe and when I went to bed the stove was 285* F at the top of the barrel and 125* F on the stove pipe. When I woke up in the morning all temps were exactly the same expect the house was 79* F. My wife was very, very :D happy.

I forgot to mention I got 1000 lbs of bulk chestnut size anthracite delivered in my driveway for $50. It was leftover from another delivery and the driver sold it to for a great price. The Glenwood No. 8 really loves Egg and Stove size but I just mixed it in and it burns really well.

Chad

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Nov. 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Yeah Chad that is excellent knowing that there is nothing that the New England winter can throw at you, that your Glenwood won't handle! :D

Awesome deal on the nut coal too! I had a couple tons mixed in with my stove size too. It fills in some spaces and simmers along quite nicely. I just shake it a little less vigorously when there is allot of nut in the mix since my blaschak nut is on the small size.

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Wed. Nov. 07, 2012 9:16 pm

SteveZee wrote:Yeah Chad that is excellent knowing that there is nothing that the New England winter can throw at you, that your Glenwood won't handle! :D

Awesome deal on the nut coal too! I had a couple tons mixed in with my stove size too. It fills in some spaces and simmers along quite nicely. I just shake it a little less vigorously when there is allot of nut in the mix since my blaschak nut is on the small size.
Next year I am going to order 20 tons of Egg Size Anthracite from a mine I found in NE Penn. The No.8 will burn forever with the firepot full of that stuff. I called 15 mines and only found 2 that still produce Egg size. They told me that egg size was popular 100 years ago. Go Figure!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 6:30 am

Have you tried burning straight egg size in the No. 8?

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 8:31 am

Rob R. wrote:Have you tried burning straight egg size in the No. 8?
Hi Rob
I did and the burn just egg size a few times and heat output and burn time was great. The response time of the fire when I would adjust various dampers was much quicker than when the fire pot is full of chestnut size. I have only had this big old girl since this July and I have learned so much about her already. I can only imagine how in tune we will be with each other by next May.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 8:43 am

That sounds right Chad. The smaller the coal size the slower the response time generally speaking. Sometimes though, the larger sizes will burn hotter and faster too, so you'll get slightly less time between refills. Depends on how tight it's packed in there. This is just a rule of thumb deal. Bigger air spaces between the pieces and all that.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 9:45 am

I would try some stove size before you set your heart on egg...it might be a good compromise on both ends.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”