Ruby Rosemont

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sun. Oct. 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Multiscope, What would you think the sqft is? When you aquired it was it furnished as it is now? Those stairs are great. That's not oak though is it, unless it's stained?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Oct. 14, 2012 8:45 pm

SteveZee wrote:Multiscope, What would you think the sqft is? When you aquired it was it furnished as it is now? Those stairs are great. That's not oak though is it, unless it's stained?
It's most likely shellac. Shellac was commonly used as it really brings the wood to life and depth to the wood grain. It is also very easy to apply. Over time shellac turns a dark red color. It's really beautiful, especially on a heart pine floor. I lived in a huge Queen Anne built in 1886 that I was restoring for lowered rent. The upstairs was finished in Walnut and had Heart Pine Floors. The floor and doors were a light color on the dark inside of the closets where there was never any light, but; the outsides were aged to the dark amber/red because that shellac was exposed to light for a Century.

multiscope
Baseburners & Antiques: ruby rosemont baseburner by floyd wells
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: gas forced air

Post by multiscope » Sun. Oct. 14, 2012 9:13 pm

The woodwork is definatley oak, but the finals on the stair way are another wood. Newspaper articales dated 1915. mention the woodwork was finished for the new owner a local gas well drill co president along with many other updates
to wall paper ect. I think william is right in that the finish was shellac, it has a reddish shade to it. There has been 3 other owners and much is known about the house. Pictures are available of all the owners, along with early pictures of the home

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Mon. Oct. 15, 2012 8:51 am

Steve The house came furnished, but I did add some things of my own. The house had been vacant about 6 years, the owner had died and the son lived in N Y city didn' pay the utilities and the pipes froze and burst. It had hot water heat with cast iron boilers, what a mess. Toke me about 6 months to repair all the damage. He sold the house as is with all the furnishings and personal effects. It had taken me weeks to sort thru all that stuff

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Oct. 15, 2012 5:14 pm

multiscope wrote:Steve The house came furnished, but I did add some things of my own. The house had been vacant about 6 years, the owner had died and the son lived in N Y city didn' pay the utilities and the pipes froze and burst. It had hot water heat with cast iron boilers, what a mess. Toke me about 6 months to repair all the damage. He sold the house as is with all the furnishings and personal effects. It had taken me weeks to sort thru all that stuff
I can imagine the burst pipes mess because it happened here too. When I got this place, it also was vacant for some years. The summer kitchen is where the pipes went and that was lucky because it's really part of the barn. At any rate it's pretty cool to know the history and past owners. Mine has had several Sea Captains and a famous Dr from Boston who one of the first nutritionists. Pretty cool that it had everything still in it. It's a bit of an archeology excersize going through it all.

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Mon. Oct. 15, 2012 6:13 pm

For me it is a great honor to bring some of the things these great craftsmen created many years ago. When I work on the masterpieces it gives me great pleasure knowing I have extended the life of these treasures. I have encluded my 1931 slant window ford town sedan, a great masterpiece of henry ford

Attachments

005.JPG
.JPG | 276.2KB | 005.JPG

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Oct. 15, 2012 7:25 pm

multiscope wrote:For me it is a great honor to bring some of the things these great craftsmen created many years ago. When I work on the masterpieces it gives me great pleasure knowing I have extended the life of these treasures. I have encluded my 1931 slant window ford town sedan, a great masterpiece of henry ford
Excellent! I know that feeling. You'll have fun with the Ruby and see how well they work. I'm sure this is pretty easy for a man of your talents but you'll find, like anything else, these stoves have their own sense of character too. Just look at Pierre's (NortCan) Baltimore insert heater.

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 11:25 am

rubys new home. Just got her installed had been waiting to burn up cord wood in old stove. I will be starting a small fire today to break her in. I will post more info on how she performs later in the week

Attachments

rubys new home.jpg
.JPG | 86.5KB | rubys new home.jpg

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 3:16 pm

That is one fine looking stove you have there. Let us know how she puts out the heat after you fire her up. Good luck with her.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Beautiful house! Beautiful Stove!! and a 'not bad' Model A :D

So now that you have been burning in the Ruby some, what is your 'take' on the 'dump grates' and the ring grate?
I have an Art Garland that has the same arrangement,, and the dump grates look like they might be a bit 'dangerous' for the fire.
I think you probably put the handle on and just 'Jiggle' the grates? and vigorously use the ring grate?

I also have a small baseburner, a Keystone 11 that has a small, 9" fire pot, and only has the 'dump grate' so if I ever get it in operation, I'll have to be
carefull when shaking down the fire..

You do nice work!!
Take care
Greg L

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Very good multiscope. Keep on posting results and photos.

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 8:49 pm

As you knopw fired her up this morning after installing the pipes. going for a slow burn to temper the finish and stove cement. She seems to be perf0rming well, as I would expect from such a fine lady. Too bad she doesn't hve her fine hat as I love those victorian ladies and there floppy hats. I had an aunt that worn them with such flair such a lady she was!! I miss. her. Will post more tomorrow!!!

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Mon. Nov. 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Ruby has been performing well. Got her up to 400 degrees on the stove today and only 150 on the stack in base burner mode. I am impressed with this lady. My old box stove could only acheive a difference of 100 degrees at best. I will post more infor later when I have more experience with her. As you know a guy has to take his time with a fine lady.

Attachments

rubys new home 001.jpg
.JPG | 65.7KB | rubys new home 001.jpg

echos67

Post by echos67 » Mon. Nov. 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Great looking stove !

Interested in hearing burn times since it sounds like the efficiency is on par with what these old stoves achieve.

Northern Maine

Post by Northern Maine » Mon. Nov. 26, 2012 5:29 pm

ALL I CAN SAY is AWESOME! I remember seeing a couple of these locally when I was growing up! Beautiful home as well! :)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”