Post by multiscope » Tue. Sep. 18, 2012 2:36 pm

back of stove.

Attachments

008.JPG
.JPG | 126.2KB | 008.JPG

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Sep. 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Looks to be in good shape Scope. Looks like it's the mid sized 12" pot based on that number. Did you do the resortation? I see the top is not original, was that missing or just changed? You going to line the pot? That big lever on the side, is that the shaker or the dump lever or maybe it's both? What is the small one on the back below the base heater lever?

multiscope
Baseburners & Antiques: ruby rosemont baseburner by floyd wells
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: gas forced air

Post by multiscope » Tue. Sep. 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi steve yes the pot is 12 inches and I do not plan to line it . After 115 yea s it is in good shape and this stove will outlive me by a good margin. The top is missing, so a friend gave me the lady that you see. Thats my ruby. The stove was rebuild by me with the sandblasting and plating done by outside \, still waiting w\for the wings/ to be finished. Just got a call that ther are done so will upgrade the photo when available. The lever you see is the shaker, but an additional shaker is also shown it the front photo.., I plan to move the stove into the driveway tomorrow for the low burn to condition the paint.. Thanks for your interest and for others that might be interested

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Tue. Sep. 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Steve the other lever you mentioned I was told by norcam is a check damper. But I am not sure how this operates?? My brother who is a steel co exc marveled at the quality of the cast iron castings. As william says these stove are a site to behold. I love my new girl !!!

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Sep. 19, 2012 1:21 am

multiscope wrote:Steve the other lever you mentioned I was told by norcam is a check damper. But I am not sure how this operates?? My brother who is a steel co exc marveled at the quality of the cast iron castings. As william says these stove are a site to behold. I love my new girl !!!
When the time comes, we will explain it all to you.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Sep. 19, 2012 5:29 pm

I would imagine that you'd use the front shaker the most and the lever only sparingly meaning very small back and forth motions. You don't want to dump coal by opening those middle grates to much. At any rate, I would go rotation route with the front one mostly but you will find out in a short while what works best for the stove. I'm just suggesting. That check damper will be handy on windy days or at times when you want to fine tune the temp lower.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Sep. 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Nice stove multiscope!

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Thu. Sep. 20, 2012 6:07 am

Steve I think you are right it seems the lever shaker could easy dump the whole bed if it is used too aggressivly. . Norcam thanks for the compliment, I picked up the skirts last nite and will install today. I will post pics later today. I hope she performs as well as she looks, you know women some of the best lookers just don't cut the mustard and perform up to snuff LOL

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Thu. Sep. 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Ruby with her skirt

Attachments

001.JPG
.JPG | 112.3KB | 001.JPG

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Thu. Sep. 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Ruby with her skirt

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Sep. 20, 2012 8:38 pm

multiscope wrote:Steve I think you are right it seems the lever shaker could easy dump the whole bed if it is used too aggressivly. . Norcam thanks for the compliment, I picked up the skirts last nite and will install today. I will post pics later today. I hope she performs as well as she looks, you know women some of the best lookers just don't cut the mustard and perform up to snuff LOL
If you did a good job on the restoration, then this stove will perform at levels you have never believed possible before. This stove was once one of the prized possessions of someone's home and it was more than just a heater, it was a status symbol. It was made to perform.

multiscope

Post by multiscope » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 5:25 am

Thank you william for all your help in waiting for the right stove. I think I did a good job on the restoration, took my time and completely disassembled every nut and bolt. Reassembled using new stove bolts and sealed every seam with rutland stove cement. I have been restoring things my whole life including old victorian homes, model A fords and now stoves. Not only was it a great experience but fun too. Yes you are right this stove was someones prized possession and now it will be my prized possession. Thanks again for your love of these stoves. Your interest has caught fire with others and as a result many stoves have been saved.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 9:30 am

multiscope wrote:Thank you william for all your help in waiting for the right stove. I think I did a good job on the restoration, took my time and completely disassembled every nut and bolt. Reassembled using new stove bolts and sealed every seam with rutland stove cement. I have been restoring things my whole life including old victorian homes, model A fords and now stoves. Not only was it a great experience but fun too. Yes you are right this stove was someones prized possession and now it will be my prized possession. Thanks again for your love of these stoves. Your interest has caught fire with others and as a result many stoves have been saved.
It won't be long now Scope. I can fee that chill in the air nights. Ruby looks great in a skirt and I'm quite sure she'll not take her love to town, but rather keep it right at home. ;-)

I'd like to chat with you sometime about the Victorian house resto since my place is 226yrs old and I've been at this one for .........well since I got it 20 some years ago! ;) I got to say that even though I have a brand new steam boiler (back up) in the old place I just never use it except for when I'm traveling. I not only love the looks of my stoves but they heat this place the way it was meant to be heated. Better than the furnace and certainly more economical. I can you though, even if it wasn't I'd still use them!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”