Chrystal Crawford 112 Restoration

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Nov. 07, 2012 11:20 am

double post :shock:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Nov. 07, 2012 11:30 am

Jason, just like Steve said, the time will teach you the best way to run that beauty. :idea: .
Good luck

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Soooo,
I received most my nickel back, yes most, I opened the package only to find that I am missing three knobs for Crystal and I have someone elses knobs.. There where 3 HUGE knobs in place of my knobs. NUchrome has my knobs They stated that they will send them right out and have aranged pick up for the three that I have which I assume belong to someone elses.. I am happy with the preformance of Crystal, I bought a inferred thermometer which showed me that my magnetic ones where inacurate. She is running perfectly for my house. Shaking and ash disposal is a bit messier than the glenwood but a brand spanky new ash vac is helping out....Pics to follow....

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 7:19 am

Jason, Wow, how cool is that! I'll be the knob mixup cause a moment of :shock: . Bugs me when that happens. Can't wait to see the pix of the stove in all it's glory. I'm also really pleased that it's performing well for you and is sufficient in size for your house. I had a feeling it was going to be ok using my Star Herald as the referance. I think you will find that the Glenwood prismatic bar grates are allot faster to shake the ash down. The round dump style work well not wasting any coal but, they are slower and require allot more manipulation.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 1:25 pm

One desing that I fund very efficient about grates is the combinaison of the round outer ring grate and the prismatic dual ones in the center. The Golden has that grates arrangement and it works so well :idea:
Bravo for the Christal results and don't forget the photos.

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Soooo I just got another call from Nuchrome. I spoke with Andy, who asked me about my missing knobs to confirm if they were in fact mine. After confirmation he asked me to look at the base of my finel to make sure it was the right one, aaaannnnddddddd NOPE. I pulled up this thread and looked at the parts before I shipped them and the one I had was a bit different and the one he was describing to me must be mine.. I am upset at the length of time it took to get the job done and now this mix up... :mad: I will say everyone down there has been great to deal with and Andy said they will ship my parts out today sooooo, I hope by this weekend as I have company over and would like to have Crystal looking her best...

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Thu. Dec. 06, 2012 10:54 pm

g13nw00d-man wrote:Soooo I just got another call from Nuchrome. I spoke with Andy, who asked me about my missing knobs to confirm if they were in fact mine. After confirmation he asked me to look at the base of my finel to make sure it was the right one, aaaannnnddddddd NOPE. I pulled up this thread and looked at the parts before I shipped them and the one I had was a bit different and the one he was describing to me must be mine.. I am upset at the length of time it took to get the job done and now this mix up... :mad: I will say everyone down there has been great to deal with and Andy said they will ship my parts out today sooooo, I hope by this weekend as I have company over and would like to have Crystal looking her best...
Taking photos before sending things out is a very good thing.... Sorry to hear about the mix up, but you'll be up running soon...

dj

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 9:00 am

I have finally received all my nickel back.. However I have a Question. Alot of the pieces don't appear as I think they should the knobs have "rust" or someting on the back of them as does this base to the fineal. All sides that should be shiny are however I did have to polish all pieces as there was what appeared to be compound still on all the parts. It makes me wonder if most pieces were simply polished at the shop and not re dipped. I have no Idea what shape the original nickel was in as someone painted over it black. Am I expecting too much or should all surfaces have a fresh nickel coating. Look at the pic below.....

Attachments

securedownload.jpg
.JPG | 114.7KB | securedownload.jpg

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 9:41 am

Jason, How does the up side look? It's possible but improbably that the rust would still be there. My finial is clean on the underside with unpolished nickel that looks like silver paint almost. That yours came back with compound still on it is a bit shoddy and they would have had to try hard to "float" that piece and only plate the top part. I would be a bit suspicious also because the parts are bright dipped in muriatic acid prior to plating. It doesn't leave rust like that. Here's what mine looks like. That black smudge is just that, a bit of soot from where the foot sticks into the top hole.

Attachments

finial.JPG
.JPG | 156.5KB | finial.JPG

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 1:41 pm

I called Emory and spoke to him then his son. They gave me the skinny on the plating shop that I used. I guess they did not have there sand blasting unit online until this week. So what they must have done is clean the front of pieces and dipped them as is, so the plating did not stick to the under side. He advised me to call them back tell them I was unhappy and they should redo them the right way for no cost. I did call them and they told me to send all the parts back and they would infact redo them. I do and did not want to take all the parts off the stove and ship them again. The stove does look good at face value but all the undersides are cruddy. So the decision was to send the parts back in the spring when the stove was shut down and they would be redone. I will upload pics this evening....

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Cat N' Coal

Attachments

DSCN0245.JPG
.JPG | 91.6KB | DSCN0245.JPG
DSCN0246.JPG
.JPG | 107.2KB | DSCN0246.JPG

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Well Here she is. Not the best pictures, I seemed to be getting alot of glare. I am very happy with the operation of Crystal. I am getting over 12 hour burns with her in the lowest burn settings with an average stove temp around 400 and pipe temp just above 100. I have not really had the need to open her up yet so I do not know how long a burn I could get with a hotter fire. On the days I am home and it is a bit warmer out I will keep a bit of ash in the stove and just load a couple of scoops of coal at a time thougout the day.. My coal consuption seems to be much less than the Glenwood I can go almost two days on #50 of coal.
I had to buy a stainless steel ice scoop to load the coal in the stove.
Crystal is a bit messier than the Glenwood, ash comes out the shaker handle hole. Steve I found when I shake the stove down I will pull the dump grate all the way out shake and when I see red I will push the grate in and shake a bit more. I tried to shake without pulling the dump grate and it was ridiculous. Pulling the dump grate out is probably the way it was intended to be shaken.

Attachments

DSCN0262.JPG
.JPG | 115.1KB | DSCN0262.JPG
DSCN0264.JPG
.JPG | 97.2KB | DSCN0264.JPG
DSCN0260.JPG
.JPG | 87.4KB | DSCN0260.JPG
DSCN0261.JPG
.JPG | 108.5KB | DSCN0261.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 5:18 pm

The coal must be bridging for you to be able to pull out the dump grate and not dump the fire. A poke from the top to see if the bed falls after shaking would confirm. This is a good thing because it makes shaking easier and faster.

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Negative on the bridging.. The fork is only a small portion of the entire grate. I also flip open the little door right above the grate and keep an eye on the shake I also peek through the mica and watch the burning coals shift and shake with each move of the handle. I was scared the first time, I thought like you franco that the whole bed would be dumped, but this was not the case, It is much more effective without wasting burning coal. I had more red coals in my glenwood even when I was carefull than I have so far shaking Crystal..

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Dec. 13, 2012 6:08 pm

We live and learn, I would never have expected that. If it were my stove I doubt I would have tried it. Certainly makes it a lot easier. The next time I get a chance to shake down a stove with that style grate I will give it a try.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”