Glenwood Base Heater No. 8 Just Delivered

vfw3439
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal

Post by vfw3439 » Mon. Sep. 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Our Glenwood Base Heater No. 8 was just delivered today by Doug the owner of Barnstable Stove Co, in Barnstable, MA. The Glenwood Base Heater No. 8 "Big Mamie" is just beautiful. What a great job Doug did on her restoration. She is temporarily sitting in our dining room. My wife and I have a little work to do then "Big Mamie" will be moved to her permanent spot in the Parlor/Living Room. I will attach a few photos of "Big Mamie" in the dining room.

Attachments

293.jpg
.JPG | 110.4KB | 293.jpg
295.jpg
.JPG | 88KB | 295.jpg
296.jpg
.JPG | 100.3KB | 296.jpg
298.jpg
.JPG | 86.1KB | 298.jpg
301.jpg
.JPG | 92.4KB | 301.jpg
303.jpg
.JPG | 98.3KB | 303.jpg
305.jpg
.JPG | 99KB | 305.jpg
306.jpg
.JPG | 85.7KB | 306.jpg
308.jpg
.JPG | 77.3KB | 308.jpg
310.jpg
.JPG | 63.7KB | 310.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Sep. 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Chad, what do you intend to heat with that beast?

vfw3439
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4

Post by vfw3439 » Mon. Sep. 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Our house is 2,330 SF. Not to mention my wife likes the house at 78 degrees in the winter.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Sep. 03, 2012 2:36 pm

vfw3439 wrote:...my wife likes the house at 78 degrees in the winter.
I think she will get her wish. :D

The trick will be how to get the heat away from the stove.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Sep. 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Very nice stove Chad. The restoration is very good.
The stove will heat the house without any problem.
Keep on posting photos...

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Mon. Sep. 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Very nice you will love it . I'm happy for you . Happy heating

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Tue. Sep. 04, 2012 7:36 am

Rob R. wrote: I think she will get her wish. :D
The trick will be how to get the heat away from the stove.
Getting the heat away from the stove will depend upon the lay-out of the house. If you have an open floor plan or some other intrinsic interior design that promotes convection then you will be amazed at how that stove pushes the air around. I have a one story ranch with my #6 on one end of the house and it keeps the whole house warm. Granted the bedrooms on the far end of the house that are at the end of a long hallway are not as warm as the living area where the stove is, but they are still quite comfortable. I like a cooler bedroom.

The "decorative" trim on that stove is far more than decorative - they create a heat convection pump that is quite efficient. You will have to look for "dead" spots in your house where the natural convection does not work. My dining room used to be very cold. Initially I knocked two holes in the wall allowing convection into that room, then I opened up my floor plan by removing two walls and my living area is now pretty much completely open - except the long hallway going to the bedrooms. 78 is quite easy to obtain... :D

dj

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Tue. Sep. 04, 2012 1:45 pm

We have the perfect layout in our home. Our Parlor, Living room, Dining room, and Kitchen all have an open floor plan. In my opinion we couldn’t have a better set up for the use of this GW #8. The Living room, Dining room, main foyer, and hall all have ceiling fans to help with heat circulation . We were heating our whole house with a wood pellet stove (47,000 BTU’s) for the past 12 years so this GW #8 will heat our house easily. The Glenwood’s quality and beauty are only surpassed by its efficiency. I could not be happier with the restoration job that Doug the owner of Barnstable Stove Co in Barnstable, MA did on this old girl.

Chad

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Sep. 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Congratulations on getting your Glenwood. Welcome to Coal Stove Easy Street. This stove will be more than adequate to heat your home. Once you experience it and compare it to your old pellet stove, your only regret will be that you didn't do this a long time ago. Just remember when you are enjoying all of the heat, that your stove is producing it with half the coal that it would take with a modern one.
The skirt and top ring on the stove is VERY EFFECTIVE at creating convective currents to distribute the heat. It works with nature and works well.
I'm very happy our little family of Glenwood owners just keeps growing. You have done well young Skywalker.

If you need any assistance or help with it, just speak up.

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Tue. Sep. 04, 2012 5:05 pm

A very special thank you to you William. For without your Glenwood #6 video series I would not have switched over to the "Dark Side of the Force" I have to say that the old Glenwood sure is beautiful.

Best wishes, Chad

smithy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Columbia
Baseburners & Antiques: Chicago Stove Works home perfect 214
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by smithy » Tue. Sep. 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Congratulations Chad, I think someone told me this too.
wsherrick wrote: Once you experience it and compare it to your old pellet stove, your only regret will be that you didn't do this a long time ago.

you might miss all the noises that your old pellet stove made as well as the enjoyment of the smoke waifing threw the house when the power fails at 2:30 am :yearight:

half-pint
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove Hotblast 2500
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Stove sized Anthracite / WV Bituminous

Post by half-pint » Tue. Sep. 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I know how you must feel right now. I am still on cloud 9 about my #6. Seeing as my stove is downstairs I am putting vents in to allow heat to move more freely. I am ready for the winter as far as I can tell. I think you and I will both be amazed at how well these stoves heat our homes this winter.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 8:57 am

Congatulations on your "new" stove Chad! Big Mamie looks awesome and will easily heat your New England home.

The only question I have, is Darth Vader's real name William, or is Yoda actually named William? I would like to think we came into the light :P .

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 1:32 pm

SteveZee wrote:Congatulations on your "new" stove Chad! Big Mamie looks awesome and will easily heat your New England home.

The only question I have, is Darth Vader's real name William, or is Yoda actually named William? I would like to think we came into the light :P .
As Master Yoda would say "In the light come we have" I only associate the color of coal with the dark side and Lord Vader saying "You don't know the power of the dark side"

vfw3439

Post by vfw3439 » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 1:55 pm

I did a lot of research on Glenwood Base Heaters and was going to get a #6. When the time came to order it a #8 came available and was only $200 more. I had a private conversation with William and he said "grab it", It is better to run the #8 at a lower temp then to have to run the #6 harder with a higher temp.
It is really strange to see how every part on the #8 is just a little bigger than the #6. The 18" fire pot is huge.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”