My "New" Glenwood Modern Oak 116

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Aug. 08, 2012 8:13 am

Got some pipe, installed the MPD and got the Glenwood hooked up yesterday. I was in the hardware stove and getting some funny looks walking around with stove pipe and elbow while it's 80 degrees out and a beauty of a day! I pulled to the stove over a bit to get it a little further away from that antique radio that's to the left. Very first thing Kim says is "You installed the stove pipe crooked?" I tried to explain that it doesn't have to be exactly in line with the thimbal and that's what those flexible elbows and for etc... but she's a bit like Monk about that stuff. ;) I even had to show her Eddies 116 install to prove my case! :P Just incase though, I haven't used the tube of sealer on the joints yet. :roll:

William, that other pix of the radio is for you as I know you'll appreciate it. It's an old Shortwave.

Attachments

pipeinstall (Medium).JPG
.JPG | 218.6KB | pipeinstall (Medium).JPG
radio (Medium).jpg
.JPG | 95.1KB | radio (Medium).jpg

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Wed. Aug. 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Philco?

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 8:10 am

PJT wrote:Philco?
Yep exactly right PJ. Still works too except that the buttons (bakelite?) are breaking up. It belonged to my Grandfather who gave it to me many years ago. Interesting story : My Nono, was an Italian immigrant in 1906. Because these were licenced, during WWII, some Fed's came around and confiscated the shortwave tubes or components of the radio even though my two Uncles were serving, one with Patton's Third in and the other on a ship at Midway. Il Duce thing I guess? ;)
Last edited by SteveZee on Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 8:15 am

Spent many an evening with my family listening to one of them--back when you had to use your imagination ;) I believe it's much more then a short wave :)

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 8:22 am

freetown fred wrote:Spent many an evening with my family listening to one of them--back when you had to use your imagination ;) I believe it's much more then a short wave :)
Ain't that the truth Fred! My mom told me that half the street would gather around sometimes outside the window of the person that had the best radio when something important was going down. The "weekly" shows were also a big deal and the whole fam was into them. Got to wonder if TV was a good thing in the long run? Lot of people sitting and staring at a box since then. Same with the later generation of Xbox, nintendo, etc... Just food for though. ;)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 9:53 am

You can visit those old shows if you like.

http://www.radiolovers.com/

They won't have the same impact on you though as you will have changed as our society has changed. The shows are no longer timely. They are out of place in time. they do have value though as they illustrate what was considered funny, and tragic, and most important the commonly accepted beliefs of the time. Don't forget to buy Ovaltine and Rinso White soap.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks Richard, Going to investigate that site surprize my old Mum.

half-pint
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove Hotblast 2500
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Stove sized Anthracite / WV Bituminous

Post by half-pint » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Steve that is one GREAT looking stove and I LOVE that old radio. My father has many antique radios that will be mine one day, but I'd rather keep him :) and inherit them many many years from now. Where did you get the polish you used for yours? It did great on yours and I'll get the same for mine. I think my refractory liner will be pretty much good to go by burning season, but I'm going to start small anyway just to be safe. I think that way I will be doing what's best for the new liner and the new grates as well.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 8:29 pm

half-pint wrote:Steve that is one GREAT looking stove and I LOVE that old radio. My father has many antique radios that will be mine one day, but I'd rather keep him :) and inherit them many many years from now. Where did you get the polish you used for yours? It did great on yours and I'll get the same for mine. I think my refractory liner will be pretty much good to go by burning season, but I'm going to start small anyway just to be safe. I think that way I will be doing what's best for the new liner and the new grates as well.
Thanks Halfpint, I used Williams Stove polish. It's really old school stuff but I find it to be the best for cast iron. It's graphite in solution with no wax so you don't really get any fumes after you light the stove. It's in a yellow tube and you can probably get it at most hardware stores in the stove section. If not, certainly on line.

Yep I think your going the right route to take it slow and easy and you'll get a feel for your stove and your flue as you go. Before you know it we'll be stoking em up! ;)

PJT

Post by PJT » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Steve try here:
**Broken Link(s) Removed** and here: http://www.tubesandmore.com/ for replacement pushbuttons.....if they don't have the ones you need Ill bet they can tell you who does...

half-pint
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove Hotblast 2500
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Stove sized Anthracite / WV Bituminous

Post by half-pint » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Steve, I know it. I'm just itching to see the needle on the temperature gauge on mine come off the peg and start rising. Jason

PJT

Post by PJT » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Steve whats the distance from the floor to the smoke outlet?

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Aug. 10, 2012 8:28 am

PJT wrote:Steve try here:
**Broken Link(s) Removed** and here: http://www.tubesandmore.com/ for replacement pushbuttons.....if they don't have the ones you need Ill bet they can tell you who does...
That's awesome PJT! Thanks for those links. I'm going to order a new set of the push buttons for the radio. It'll really the only thing that it needs. Tubes are pricy but I can get them, but those buttons were just crumbling apart.

The distance from the floor to the bottom of the exhaust is about 26". It uses a 5" pipe and the collar is 5" ID so that the stove pipe fits inside rather than over the collar. The collar has 3 holes for screws to secure the pipe also. I used regular snap-lock pipe and the adjustable rotating 90*s (in case I needed to shift the stove at all). My old Star Herald used 5" pipe also so I could have used that setup but since I would have had to re-cut the middle for height, I just used the top 90* (from the Herald) and bought a new one and 24" length of 5" 22ga. (that was cut to 16"). The reason I bought one new 90 degree piece what that one of the Herald's pipe pieces was proprietary to that stove. So I left it on it.

I have a one bedroom apartment up over the barn that's currently not in use, but I'm going to put the Herald up there in case I make a workspace or whatever up there. It had an old circulator wood stove up there (that was originally on the stage down here). I'm going to take that out and replace with the Star Herald, which will heat that whole apartment easily.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Aug. 10, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Steve.
Why don't you make a rental app. with the one bedroom? I'm shure that a lot of Canadian/Québecois would love to stay a few days/years :roll: in it, and plus with an ant stove :lol:

PJT

Post by PJT » Fri. Aug. 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for the measurements Steve!

I hope the Great Northern push buttons work out for you. When I rebuilt an old Zenith console with a green eye tube he had all the plastic parts I needed. A little pricey but the only game in town.

When I was a kid the 85 year old man who ran the gas station down the street had an old Philco with those same pushbuttons and his were crumbling way back then (1970's)!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”