My "New" Glenwood Modern Oak 116

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Aug. 01, 2012 8:22 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:Glad to see you got a bigger and better stove Steve!

The 16" firepot is perfect and you will be very happy.
Um, when are you going to get one?

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Aug. 01, 2012 8:25 pm

It looks like everything is coming together just right. When I re did the No 6, I forgot to put the skirt ring on before I put the front piece on!! I had to take it all apart and do it all over again. It won't be long now. September is just a month away.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 8:22 am

wsherrick wrote:It looks like everything is coming together just right. When I re did the No 6, I forgot to put the skirt ring on before I put the front piece on!! I had to take it all apart and do it all over again. It won't be long now. September is just a month away.
William, I hear that! I was (for me) very organized when dissembling the stove and noted carefully the proper order. It would be very easy (otherwise) to make that very mistake. A serious pain in the butt to make a mistake.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 8:25 am

SteveZee wrote:
Rob R. wrote:That stuff you used to line the firepot is interesting...any special requirements to apply it or "cure" it?
Rob, That is the Noxram stuff I used to make the liner in the cookstove last year. It's pretty easy to work with and comes in a 50lb block. It feels like clay thats full of grit. The grit is alumina. It's rated for much higher then this will ever fire so it will protect that pot quite well. What I like about it is that you can pretty much mold it to whatever shape you need and just tap on it with a mallet or hammer. It sets up fairly fast and it totally cured in about 48hrs or so. It's still probably wise to "burn it in" with a couple wood/charcoal fires at the start of the first season. I didn't have any problems with the cook stove. After you smack it into shape (ram it), I found that if you take a wet sponge, like a scotchbright sided kitchen sponge, and scrub it smooth a bit, you'll have better ash drop than if you leave it rougher. It's normally a ramming agent for blast furnaces.
Where did you buy it? Doesn't look like something found at the local hardware store...

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the stove in "action".

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 9:47 am

Rob, I got the stuff from a guy in Orland, Maine who specializes in stove restoration. His place is called the Love Barn and he does quite a few cookstoves and heaters.
Initially, I contacted him looking for the coal grates for my Glenwood 208C cookstove. He had a new pair (they are triangular or prismatics) and the rack they mount in on hand which was lucky for me. He told me that I would have to line the firebox with the refractory if I was going to use coal full time. The wood box had liners but they were steel. After pulling them out the shape of the box wasn't going to be easy for a pour type liner and I asked about it. He told me that most all the Pro restoration guys used this stuff and sold be a 50lb. box. Think it was about $30 or so. Later on Emory at the Stove Hospital told me that he got the bought the stuff by the ton! :o

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 2:53 pm

So, does anyone have a link to an internet seller of Noxram? Ebay, and google searches turn up very little.

Greg L

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Greg, I have also tried to look it up too but it seems like it's only sold to subscribers or bulk. I could find the site if the manufacturer but there was nothing but stats on it. I think you're best best is a restoration shop (if you have one nearby) or I know Emory will sell it at Stove Hospital. Might be pricy to ship though as it is heavy.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Here's a few more pix of the resto.

First one the exhaust collar going back on.

Next is the new back pipe installed.

and this third one is a shot of the stove with new liner and the grates reinstalled.

And lastly, just waiting for the re-nickeled trim, new mica windows, and moved into place onto the base.

Attachments

collar.jpg
.JPG | 76.4KB | collar.jpg
Glenwood 116    6 001 copy.jpg
.JPG | 80.9KB | Glenwood 116 6 001 copy.jpg
Glen 116 newgrates (1).JPG
.JPG | 76.5KB | Glen 116 newgrates (1).JPG
Glenwood 116    5 002 (Large) copy.jpg
.JPG | 68.2KB | Glenwood 116 5 002 (Large) copy.jpg

jkabdoors

Post by jkabdoors » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Steve I am on the site daily but don't post many things but that stove is very nice. I don't think I could do anything with that but show ot off. great job Jeff

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 6:42 pm

See how nice these look with the proper coat of stove polish. Once you do something like this, the stove becomes an extension of yourself, your time, thought and effort. It's more than just a heater, it's an expression that you have put your identity into. Plus it has the added weight of being a hundred plus years old. It is a connection to the past and present at the same time. It is also besides being just utilitarian, a work of of art and you are keeping faith with the craftsmanship that those long dead have put into it. There is a presence these things possess that no new item has no matter what it does. If someone doesn't understand it, or have the respect due to what it represents; then it can't be explained to them.
Last edited by wsherrick on Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks Jeff,

But heating (with coal in particular) is where these babies really shine. This stove kept it's owner's warm for over a 100 years now and I plan on it "seeing me out". It is a same series match with my kitchen cookstove and they both fit right into this 226yr old hour here! Between the two of them, there is nothing that winter on the Maine coast can throw at me and I won't be ready. ;)

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 6:59 pm

wsherrick wrote:See how nice these look with the proper coat of stove polish. Once you do something like this, the stove becomes an extension of yourself, your time, thought and effort. It's more than just a heater, it's an expression that you have put your identity into. Plus it has the added weight of being a hundred plus years old. It is a connection to the past and present at the same time. It is also besides being just utilitarian, a work of of art and you are keeping faith with the craftsmanship that those long dead have put into it. There is a presence these things possess that no new item has no matter what it does. If someone doesn't understand it, or have the respect due to what it represents; then it can't be explained to them.
Well said William.
There is a special feeling that these stoves evoke. It began with the cookstove when I first bought this place. The stove body was stuffed under the summer kitchen steps going out to the barn. After allot of hide and seek, every single part for that 208C was found. It took me nearly a full summer to put that back together. As I did that, I couldn't help but think of the guys in Taunton that cast and machined the parts. All of the people that it cooked and heated for in my own house here. The same goes for this MO116. I really can go back in time and on a cold Nor'Easter night when the wind is howling, the snows flying and the powers out, I'll be back at the turn of the 20th century with the Alladin's lit, sitting round the stoves and chatting with my ancestors.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 7:32 pm

SteveZee wrote:I'll be back at the turn of the 20th century with the Alladin's lit, sitting round the stoves and chatting with my ancestors.
This is starting to get spooky now. There have been times though that I have felt that same thing especially looking at old movies or pictures from about 1900. Sometimes I feel I can almost make the jump.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Aug. 02, 2012 11:15 pm

You need one of these to complete the picture. I listen to mine for hours during the dark Winter months. I have my rocking chair, my Bailey's and coffee, my stove and my gramophone.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Fri. Aug. 03, 2012 12:24 am

Nice old table William...looks like one my Grandparents had back in the 60's! Cool gramophone too!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”