My "New" Glenwood Modern Oak 116

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Oct. 26, 2012 10:44 am

SteveZee wrote:Pierre,

The cookstove is a good heater and a better cooker! I'm the kind of guy that because it's on, I'm going to cook on it. While it is a little easier to cook with wood due to the faster response times, I have found that with coal, it cooks well too. I run it up to 350 or 400 (on the oven gauge) and then just find the right spot on the cooktop. The whole top is a burner, hot to cooler being left to right. Just slide the pan/pot till you find what you want. Baking, you just turn the bread 180 degrees at half the time. It really excels at slow cooking and braising in a dutch oven, but a cast iron fry pan has made allot of taters,peppers and onions. :D
Thanks Steve for the good infos.
Have some hesitations between a cookstove or a ""non electric dishwashing"" device. :D
The dishwashing device is ""working"" 8-) 365 days/yr but not the stove :(

echos67

Post by echos67 » Fri. Oct. 26, 2012 6:08 pm

nortcan wrote:
echos67 wrote: Pierre is going shopping again :D !!!!!!!!!!!!
Must ask the wife before cause I Should buy a ""new non-electric dishwashing device"" ...before. :lol:
If your talking about the dishwasher like Smitty has that is a reL nice appliance, good luck asking the wife for that :lol: .

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Oct. 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Pierre,

I thought it was OK for Frenchmen to have a ""new non-electric dishwashing device"" on the side... So to say.... :whistle:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Oct. 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Echo, she will certainly say: it's OK, well I think so :?: :oops:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Oct. 26, 2012 8:52 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Pierre,

I thought it was OK for Frenchmen to have a ""new non-electric dishwashing device"" on the side... So to say.... :whistle:
Yes my friend, Frenchmen are very "ecolo" and we try to save as much hydro powere as we can :lol: so I must begin a new subject about the installation, maybe some helpers will be needed... :) and the bride is ok for that, I mean the Golden Bride :!:

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Oct. 29, 2012 10:37 am

Winds picking up pretty good (about 30nts) and the chimney's pulling hard even though it's relatively warm (56). Still able to hold at 200 degrees but when it gets really windy as the storm hits, I'll pop the secondary "Gas Burner" vent open on the feed door and "baro" the stove a little.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 10:19 am

I was thinking about that the other day when the wind was whipping around at about 50 kts and was whistling down the unused chimney....what would be happening if I had had my Glenwood hooked up with a full coal fire burning? How did you guys handle that?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 10:34 am

PJT wrote:I was thinking about that the other day when the wind was whipping around at about 50 kts and was whistling down the unused chimney....what would be happening if I had had my Glenwood hooked up with a full coal fire burning? How did you guys handle that?
My Glenwood ran at 300 degress in 70 Mph winds. I didn't even use the check damper just the secondary damper over the fire as a check. No problems

PJT

Post by PJT » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 11:06 am

forgive my ignorance William but did you close the damper off more? I can imagine a large gust blowing hot embers out of any opening all over the floor

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 11:12 am

PJT wrote:forgive my ignorance William but did you close the damper off more? I can imagine a large gust blowing hot embers out of any opening all over the floor
Two points here: Coal does not produce flying embers and high winds generally make the draft go out not in.

PJT

Post by PJT » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 11:17 am

Ahh see I am thinking of my wood stove days...

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Yep PJ that feed door "gas burner" secondary that William and I are talking about just lets fresh air in over the top to burn off gas or to bypass (check damper effect) on blustery days. I didn't even use mine for the Sandy nights as winds here only got to 40 or so and the stove stayed at a hair over 200 with the primary dampers closed all night and through the next day of winds.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Nov. 06, 2012 8:35 pm

It's 28 degrees and projected to go down to 24 tonight. the 116 is cooking along at 450-500 and the downstairs house is right at 71 and upstairs is 66 which is perfecto for me.
My guess is that in the teens and below, I will fire up the cookstove to even things out a bit and run them both at a stately 350 for nice long burns rather then ramp the 116 up more than 550. :D

echos67

Post by echos67 » Tue. Nov. 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Steve, that is a beautiful thing !

So are you happy with the 116 :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Nov. 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Very good results Steve.
Seems you'r mastering the temp. in the house very well. I also like to have the possibility to burn 2 stoves at lower temp. as you said.
For me a 116 like yours remember to me so many things cause if I had more space in the small living room, the Glenwood M.O. 116 would have been in.These stoves are so much what a stove Must/Should be...in all manners. The heat transfer and the gases path make them really serious heaters, even on the top in 2012 and for many yrs to come.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”