My "New" Glenwood Modern Oak 116

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Thu. Feb. 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Yesterday I got the new refractory installed and cured. While I was working inside the stove, I noticed that some of the older stove cement had cracked and was coming out. This is why I was having such a hard time getting a new fire started and such long times to bring back up to temp after reloading. I chipped out all the old cement and installed all new (which is what I should have done while restoring it but it looked like it was sound)...the stove is working great again! It is amazing how important it is that all seams are sealed tight when burning coal, any cracks steal the draft from coming in under the grates. I am also trying stove size coal today and there is a difference in the heat coming off it...much hotter. It is only 18° here today so it feels good! It seems so good that have that heat back, the electric heat just does not cut it! I will try to get some photos of it running this weekend as some of you have requested.

Randy

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Thu. Feb. 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Photog200 wrote:Yesterday I got the new refractory installed and cured. While I was working inside the stove, I noticed that some of the older stove cement had cracked and was coming out. This is why I was having such a hard time getting a new fire started and such long times to bring back up to temp after reloading. I chipped out all the old cement and installed all new (which is what I should have done while restoring it but it looked like it was sound)...the stove is working great again! It is amazing how important it is that all seams are sealed tight when burning coal, any cracks steal the draft from coming in under the grates. I am also trying stove size coal today and there is a difference in the heat coming off it...much hotter. It is only 18° here today so it feels good! It seems so good that have that heat back, the electric heat just does not cut it! I will try to get some photos of it running this weekend as some of you have requested.

Randy
I am sorry for this posting, it was suppose to be on my thread.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sun. Feb. 24, 2013 7:59 am

No worries. Post away. Keeps the old thread alive. ;)

pma
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 116

Post by pma » Mon. Aug. 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Steve, been a while since I've posted. Happy to report that I can steal this thread subject from you intact! Doug from Barnstable Stoves just redid the 116 I had. ...great job! I sent a pic of the stove to the woman I bought it from and she was delighted to see it "reincarnated" from the rust pile :) Must say-both Barstable stove & Stove Hospital do quality work-as if they were working on their own stove.
Question: I'll likely burn mostly coal...and some wood. I have the half-slotted round plate that lays over the coal grates for wood use. My question is -how do you get the wood ash to fall into the slots into the ashpan? or does it do it on it's own? jiggle the coal grates? it would seem cumbersome to have to reach into the fire w/ a poker.
So I'm down to 3 stoves now. 116 + two Glenwood 6 baseheaters that need lots of love. My plan is to take my time and redo both....recasting from one to supply missing parts for the other.....and when both finished, sell off one to pay for new nickel, castings, etc. of both. [that's the plan anyway]
i'm happy how the 116 turned out. I requested stove paint on underside/backside/seams...but just stove polish on high relief cast 'art' facing out. I really like the effect, and figure steel wooling a little surface rust off out facing cast iron is no big deal.
hope all's well up in Maine!~Paul

Attachments

barter 001.jpg
.JPG | 112.8KB | barter 001.jpg

alfort
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 118, Glenwood Cabinet C
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 118, Glenwood Cabinet C

Post by alfort » Tue. Aug. 20, 2013 8:15 am

That's really nice Paul, wish mine was done. I've got a 118 that I want to restore someday. This other work keeps getting in the way. It's in great shape. As far as I can tell right now it needs new coal grates and the nickle replated, and of course some black paint. It probably needs new caulk and seals. Did you have to replate your nickle? Does yours have the back recirculating pipe? Mine doesn't and never did, but I think I'd like to add one. I also need a new finial, the side "handles" are broken off, so, if anyone knows where there is one, let me know.

Al

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Aug. 20, 2013 8:57 am

alfort wrote:That's really nice Paul, wish mine was done. I've got a 118 that I want to restore someday. This other work keeps getting in the way. It's in great shape. As far as I can tell right now it needs new coal grates and the nickle replated, and of course some black paint. It probably needs new caulk and seals. Did you have to replate your nickle? Does yours have the back recirculating pipe? Mine doesn't and never did, but I think I'd like to add one. I also need a new finial, the side "handles" are broken off, so, if anyone knows where there is one, let me know.

Al
I have a line on a new epic finial near me... If I can obtain it for $100 or less I will grab it and let you know. (I will use it if you don't because its got dragons as the filigree, so i'll do my best)

alfort
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 118, Glenwood Cabinet C
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 118, Glenwood Cabinet C

Post by alfort » Tue. Aug. 20, 2013 10:13 am

dcrane wrote:
alfort wrote:That's really nice Paul, wish mine was done. I've got a 118 that I want to restore someday. This other work keeps getting in the way. It's in great shape. As far as I can tell right now it needs new coal grates and the nickle replated, and of course some black paint. It probably needs new caulk and seals. Did you have to replate your nickle? Does yours have the back recirculating pipe? Mine doesn't and never did, but I think I'd like to add one. I also need a new finial, the side "handles" are broken off, so, if anyone knows where there is one, let me know.

Al
I have a line on a new epic finial near me... If I can obtain it for $100 or less I will grab it and let you know. (I will use it if you don't because its got dragons as the filigree, so i'll do my best)
Great! I'd like to see pictures before I decide since I want to keep the stove as original as possible.

Thanks, Al

pma
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 116

Post by pma » Tue. Aug. 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Al
Hi Al, a 118 is a beast.... lotta stove!
-no, I did not have to replate nickel-just had surface rust which was gone with fine steel wool- not perfect-but certainly good enough! The latches on the both doors needed nickel ...and Doug had some extra plated latches he swapped.
-yes mine has a backpipe. It had to be fabricated, as the old one just sort of crumpled like a rusty old can. I'd install one if I were you-I believe this really cranks up the efficiency.
-re a Glenwood finial- they pop up on ebay fairly often, or certainly Stove hospital or Barnstable Stove have extras. I agree with you about keeping the stove original as possible.

Paul

gotstove

Post by gotstove » Fri. Jul. 17, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Steve,

Wow, sounds like you really known your stuff refurbishing the 116! I bought a summer cottage a few years ago that has this unit but without the two fancy collars or the elaborate top. If you or anyone is interested I'll be selling it. I'd love to see it restored to it's former glory. Price is negotiable at about $500.00. Can send pictures if interested. It looks like it was used as recently as a few years ago but is has a hole now in the sheeting. It's still assembled and in the living room. The stove is in Rome, Maine.

Best regards and my compliments on your new stove!

Jude

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Thu. Oct. 22, 2015 10:33 am

STEVE Z!!!!

Where are you???

Long time no hear!!!!!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”