Glenwood Base Heater No. 6

Learn the ins and outs of designs that date back to the turn of the last century. Whether you are looking to restore an antique stove or have questions about modern reproductions you'll find the answers to your questions here.
vfw3439
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8
Stove/Furnace Model: Crawford Tropic 112

Post Thu. Jun. 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to this site and new to coal. The first time I saw the Glenwood Base Heater No. 6 in a set of videos that William from PA posted on you tube I fell in love with it. The following day I showed my wife the Videos and she was totally sold on the idea and she also found the Glenwood Base Heater No. 6 beautiful. Today 6-21-12 I dove to the Antique Stove Hospital in RI and picked out my Glenwood Base Heater No. 6 for rebuild and it will be delivered to my house in Sept. I will attach some pictures.

Chad
Attachments
Android 534.jpg
Android 532.jpg
Android 529.jpg
Android 535.jpg
Android 518.jpg
CMDR Chad R. Cheras
Post Commander
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 3439

grumpy

Post Thu. Jun. 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Good for you, your gonna love it. Is this your first old stove?

vfw3439
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4

Post Thu. Jun. 21, 2012 9:01 pm

This is my first and from what I hear it will outlast me...
CMDR Chad R. Cheras
Post Commander

grumpy

Post Thu. Jun. 21, 2012 9:12 pm

vfw3439 wrote:This is my first and from what I hear it will outlast me...
Yeah it will, my stove is a hundred years old or so, I restored a #153 which is older. Your going to like it, but read up here on NEPA, you have a lot to learn but once you get in the groove all will be good..

nortcan
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Post Thu. Jun. 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Chad and bravo for the stove. All those having a Base Heater No.6 love these stoves and you also will.
The stove looks in very good shape and complete, anyways with Stovehospital, you will be very satisfied.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post Fri. Jun. 22, 2012 11:37 am

Welcome to the forum and I echo what everyone else stated, that a Glenwood #6 is an awesome stove to own. I don't know what your heating with it but it will heat an average sized house quite well if placed correctly and you get you circulation patterns right for your house. I own two Glenwoods and am a big fan of them. My cookstove range in the kitchen is a 208C and heats almost half the house and I just got a Modern Oak 116 for the rest of the house. I'm in the process of restoring it now to replace my faithful Star Herald which will go to the apartment above the barn. I almost bought a #6 myself but it didn't quite work out and I think it was a hair to large (with the cookstove) for my application. My 116 is the same stove (one size down) as the #6 without the base heater bottom. It has a divided back pipe instead. You couldn't have chosen a better guy in Emery, to prepare your #6. Best of luck with it and keep us informed as the season approaches. Everything you need can be found somewhere on this forum. After that, it's just experiance and learning your stove.

PS: Oh and it's already outlasted you probably by twice and will again.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post Fri. Jun. 22, 2012 6:40 pm

That one there is a nice one. It is complete with the secondary air ring and the grille to cover the exhaust port. You also have nickeled primary drafts. This will be an excellent stove. Once you get it home and installed, we will be here to help you learn how to operate it.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post Sun. Jun. 24, 2012 8:03 am

wsherrick wrote:That one there is a nice one. It is complete with the secondary air ring and the grille to cover the exhaust port. You also have nickeled primary drafts. This will be an excellent stove. Once you get it home and installed, we will be here to help you learn how to operate it.
William, you're slipping - you forgot to invite him into the Glenwood club... LOL (I guess 'cause he isn't using it yet, he can't join?)

dj

vfw3439

Post Mon. Jun. 25, 2012 12:05 am

What is this Glenwood club you speak of?
CMDR Chad R. Cheras
Post Commander

nortcan

Post Mon. Jun. 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Hum, why not an "Antique Stoves Club" :?: So we would be all equal :D

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post Mon. Jun. 25, 2012 8:18 pm

nortcan wrote:Hum, why not an "Antique Stoves Club" :?: So we would be all equal :D
Nortcan, It was mostly a joke...

A few year back, William was talking about his Glenwood #6 and how great it worked. Then I got mine back up and running and somewhere in all the conversations, William jolkingly said we should form a club...

Want an "Antique Stoves Club"? Works for me... What defines an antique? What would the "club" do? As far as I can see, Richard has already started the "club" - it's nepacrossroads.com.... ;)

dj

nortcan

Post Tue. Jun. 26, 2012 6:50 pm

dlj wrote:
nortcan wrote:Hum, why not an "Antique Stoves Club" :?: So we would be all equal :D
Nortcan, It was mostly a joke...

A few year back, William was talking about his Glenwood #6 and how great it worked. Then I got mine back up and running and somewhere in all the conversations, William jolkingly said we should form a club...

Want an "Antique Stoves Club"? Works for me... What defines an antique? What would the "club" do? As far as I can see, Richard has already started the "club" - it's nepacrossroads.com.... ;)

dj
dlj, sorry I was also joking.
As you said, nepacrossroads... is the perfect tool to use about antique stoves but also for alot of other things. :idea:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”