Restoring Old Stove, Herald Oak Model # 12

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. May. 28, 2012 1:55 am

AlanWelch wrote:O.k. ------New questions. Since I plan on the stove being used , and I have completely disassembled it I will have to reseal all joints in the flueways and between sections. what works best ? I use Colco furnace cement at work, ready mixed, and gray in color--- cracks easily. Is there a high temp silicone/caulking that works ? Also the back pipe and the rear of the stove that is sheet metal---high temp paint or stove polish? and finally if I replace nuts and bolts will stainless or neverseize compound make it easier to take apart ?
You have to reseal everything and make sure it is air tight. No shortcuts. You MUST replace all of the bolts with new ones. You must also make sure that the doors (this is very important) mate with the body of the stove perfectly for an air tight fit. It is absolutely critical that the ash pit door fits against the body with out any leaks. These stoves were air tight when new and with a little effort can be made air tight again.
As far as taking it apart, if you do it correctly you won't have to do it again for at least 10 years. And that is with constant use and not abusing the stove.

Cperdue
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Herald Oak Prize #12

Post by Cperdue » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 7:37 pm

I have a Herald Oak Prize #12 in excellent condition. Could someone provide a range of value. Sorry I don't have a picture!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”