Do You Like Your ANTIQUE Stove?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 8:22 pm

david78 wrote:This is the first stove I've burned coal in so I have nothing to compare it to, but I couldn't be more satisfied with my antique. It's easy to start a fire in, easy to regulate, will put out a ton of heat or idle down to barely warm, and it's nice to look at. :) Best $150 I ever spent.
150$ for the stove or for the rebuilding works?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 8:25 pm

echos67 wrote:
nortcan wrote:Humm, I think we miss many old timer's comments. Did you all sold your antique stove?
Is it cause you'r not fully satisfied? Or too much satified to tell it?
It's between us anyways :secret:
I have been reading alot of older posts and there were some great discussions with you Pierre, and William, Tim, DJ, Steve, Lobsterman and a few others (sorry if I forgot others names), I would love to see a conversations like those again.
OK for me. Just waiting for you! :clap:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 8:32 pm

SteveZee wrote:Nice looking stove Dave. What size (fire pot) is your Splendid Oak and how does it compare to the Harman you have listed also? Does it have an indirect back pipe on it, and what type grates? For sure it's the best $150 ever spent! Great find.

PS: Also thought I'd post that it is 9 degrees here this morning on the Maine coast. It's breezy with a windchill of -7. Got up this morning and both stoves were cranking it out. Got to give huge props to the Star Herald. It really had performed brilliantly considering it's size and ability to only hold about 25 to maybe 30 pounds of coal. My house was 69 degrees over all this morning when I got up and both are reloaded, shook down, ashes empty and the Herald is a steady 600 degrees. As you all know, we learn as we go with our stoves and this one has taught me how to have almost zero recovery time between fillings and shakings. Got to love the little guy! The Glenwood in the kitchen is just a steady 350-400 as always.
Making the Glenwood an anthracite burner was certainly a good decision from you. You certainly don't regret the wood in it?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 8:35 pm

david78 wrote:Sounds like a chilly day in Maine!
My stove has a 16' firepot, direct draft, triangular grates. There's a Splendid Oak thread on here of what I did to restore it. I haven't used the Harman yet. I bought it for an addition I'm building and just haven't need it yet.
16" fire pot. WOW, that's a furnace! How nany pounds can you get in that stove?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 8:44 pm

coalturkey wrote:I just fired up my oakland #6 that I bought from Meatball and it is great. The wife is nuts about it's looks and it is running about 550 to 600 with a flue temp of 150 with the base heater on. Couldn't be happier. Also just got a Prizer Coronet cookstove that I need to get up for the kitchen. When we finish it all these 2 stoves go in a 12oo sq ft 1833 stone bungalow. my wife, who is basically reptilian as she assumes the temperatures of her suroundings, should love the set-up as I am sure it will drive her to open windows. BTW I amwondering about coal size for the Oakland. Should I try some stove coal? I am burning Blashek nut and it seems okay. Maybe don't need the faster burn of the stove. Got to learn the stove though.
550/600 with 150 on the flue pipe can't be match by many stoves. You'r in the best efficiency range.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 8:52 pm

BTW, since we all love the look of these antique stoves, it could be nice to see some photos showing our stove in the real life in full action or in special situation.
One time after lighting mine a curious thing arrived with the burning look. It was looking like a fire fountain, look at it on the closer view!

Attachments

DSC03959.JPG
.JPG | 121.2KB | DSC03959.JPG
Last edited by nortcan on Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stelradCoal

Post by stelradCoal » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 10:08 pm

I just wanted to chime in here real quick. I love my antique Glenwood kitchen stove. It keeps the house warm for a good portion of the season and is a joy.

Also, working with Emrey down at the Stove Hospital in RI is a joy. He's a great guy. My Glenwood was my grandparents purchased new in the 30s after they were married. Emrey took it all apart, blasted the interiors and put it back together for me in working condition about 6 years ago, I couldn't recommend Emrey enough.

Jay

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 10:23 pm

nortcan wrote:BTW, since we all love the look of these antique stoves, it could be nice to see some photos showing our stove in the real life in full action or in special situation.
One time after lightning mine a curious thing arrived with the burning look. It was looking like a fire fountain.
Your stove looks absolutely great, my stove is camera shy right now since she isnt all dressed up properly. Special situation catagory is where I apply :bag: .
Arrival Disassembly 4.jpg
.JPG | 56.7KB | Arrival Disassembly 4.jpg

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 10:33 pm

stelradCoal wrote:I just wanted to chime in here real quick. I love my antique Glenwood kitchen stove. It keeps the house warm for a good portion of the season and is a joy.

Also, working with Emrey down at the Stove Hospital in RI is a joy. He's a great guy. My Glenwood was my grandparents purchased new in the 30s after they were married. Emrey took it all apart, blasted the interiors and put it back together for me in working condition about 6 years ago, I couldn't recommend Emrey enough.

Jay
Hi Jay, is you Glenwood kitchen stove an anthracite stove or a wood burning stove?
Don't forget, we love photos here!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 10:36 pm

echos67 wrote:
nortcan wrote:BTW, since we all love the look of these antique stoves, it could be nice to see some photos showing our stove in the real life in full action or in special situation.
One time after lightning mine a curious thing arrived with the burning look. It was looking like a fire fountain.
Your stove looks absolutely great, my stove is camera shy right now since she isnt all dressed up properly. Special situation catagory is where I apply :bag: .
Arrival Disassembly 4.jpg
Thanks echos. A Glenwood always looks great, even when not all assembled!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 11, 2012 10:47 pm

I remember many folks having nice restoration projects here, new installations projects too, but many seem to be ???????????? Is the dream dead?
Just curious about it. Maybe less happy than supposed to be? Many had stoves ,antique or not, too small for the job, or having some special applications and told here all about it. I think it always helps someone somewhere, even in Québec :roll:
Even if you don't have an antique stove, your opinion is important for all of us.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 1:13 am

nortcan wrote:I remember many folks having nice restoration projects here, new installations projects too, but many seem to be ???????????? Is the dream dead?
Just curious about it. Maybe less happy than supposed to be? Many had stoves ,antique or not, too small for the job, or having some special applications and told here all about it. I think it always helps someone somewhere, even in Québec :roll:
Even if you don't have an antique stove, your opinion is important for all of us.
I don't know what more to say that I haven't said many times. There are no better coal stoves than good base burners. I get lots of messages and questions from people all the time. A lot of people don't want to go public with what they think about their stoves. All I know is that everyone I have talked to that has gotten a base heater is estatic about them. A lot of people still don't believe what is said about them, or they refuse to. A lot of people can not escape the cultural brain washing that what ever is new is always better than what is old, and the worst brain washing of all is that somehow people that are alive today are somehow more intelligent and sophistcated than our fore bearers. They just will not believe that a 100 year old stove is vastly superior and built to a higher scientific standard than what is made now. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. So in my mind it is their choice and my support is for those willling to step out and take a risk to try something not sanctioned by the status quo then the reward is always well worth it.

coalturkey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Oakland #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: blaschek nut

Post by coalturkey » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 7:00 am

I got up at 5 and the stove was 550/125 on the flue. House as warm as toast. What a stove! It just proves what you all say about the antiques. They not only are beautiful but they are extremely efficient. I believe this stove will cut my usage by about 25% or more.

david78
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren Splendid Oak 27
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by david78 » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 9:14 am

nortcan wrote:
david78 wrote:This is the first stove I've burned coal in so I have nothing to compare it to, but I couldn't be more satisfied with my antique. It's easy to start a fire in, easy to regulate, will put out a ton of heat or idle down to barely warm, and it's nice to look at. :) Best $150 I ever spent.
150$ for the stove or for the rebuilding works?
That was the purchase price. I probably put another $150-$200 into supplies restoring it; plus my time. BTW, the firepot is 16", not 16' :lol: About 13" deep. Just a guess but I'd say it will hold 50-60 pounds.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 1:47 pm

coalturkey wrote:I got up at 5 and the stove was 550/125 on the flue. House as warm as toast. What a stove! It just proves what you all say about the antiques. They not only are beautiful but they are extremely efficient. I believe this stove will cut my usage by about 25% or more.
I looked at this stove when I was up at the Antique Stove Hospital, last June, I almost took it, but; it is too large for what I needed so I took the Glenwood No 9 instead. I have no doubt that you will save more than 25% percent in your coal consumption once you find out how versatile the stove really is. It takes a while to fully learn how to operate one of these, but; you'll see. You can use the dampers along with the check damper to absolutely make the fire do what you want it to do. You have the best design for the most efficient application of both the combustion of the fuel and thermal efficiency. I am happy that you bought this stove and it is finally being used. You made the correct choice.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”