Moore's 403B "Haggard Model" With Side Wings...

The-stove-collector

Post by The-stove-collector » Wed. Dec. 21, 2011 1:07 am

Smokeyja wrote:
The-stove-collector wrote: Steve you are right.....I shouldn't have used the word direct as it has double meaning here...bad word to use....I mean just run it "directly" out the back...I was looking at the stainless chimneys which as I recall are expensive. I may change my mind...I don't know. I have to check into it more. This is actually for an outside structure I will be having built. Not my home. I just didn't want to put a lot of money into a chimney if I can avoid it.
No offense but if you can put a lot of money into those stoves, which there obviously is, then you can put some into a proper chimney. Masonry chimneys aren't too bad. Shop around mosonry people. Also find someone that can work with lime mortar.
Read about the benefits of lime http://www.virginialimeworks.com/

Btw What year was your house built?
The house is not really that old...was built in the 30's. We have made it to look older...even on the outside where we have adorned the porch with fretwork and gables with gable decorations and even built on an addition. Have decided I will install a chimney now.....

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 21, 2011 8:23 am

A good chimney is worth every dime spent on it. An improperly built chimney will lead to nothing but woe and misery. Take some time and do your homework to find out who is the best chimney mason in your area.
Excellent advice. Many of the coal-burning difficulties discussed on this forum are the result of improper draft.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Dec. 21, 2011 10:55 am

For example, a round clay flue liner is better than a square flue. Round flue pipes vent a lot better than square flue pipes because the products of combustion rifle or spiral up the round pipe. Often, a square edge clay chimney liner is not even fully used because the gases will still spiral up the pipe as much as they possibly can.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 21, 2011 10:58 am

EarthWindandFire wrote:For example, a round clay flue liner is better than a square flue.
My dad's home has a 30' block chimney with 8" round flue tiles...it drafts stronger than any chimney I have ever seen.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”