Burnham Sfb 101

Boots
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

Post by Boots » Tue. Nov. 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Ive been casually looking for a coal fired boiler for a couple of months now, I am looking to have on for next heating season. but today I stumbled on a Burnham sfb101 for an excellent price, so I called the guy to see what he had to say and it sounds like the stove has been lightly used from day one. Im going to look at it tomorrow but im concerned about finding any parts I may need for it. concidering its an older stove (84 model) and I know very little about boilers of any kind im a little apprehensive about buying something this old.

Ive searched google and the only info I can come up with is threads from 2008 from here. Does anyone have any info on the boilers or any advice/ things to look for when I go see this one tomorrow?

EDIT:

also can anyone tell me if that boiler will heat my 1500sqft single story home, full basement, boiler in basement, baseboard heat, well insulated, built in 87 currently running an EFM oil fired boiler rated at 140,000btu. one heating zone, looking to add a second to heat 2 rooms created when the previous owner closed in one bay of the carport.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Nov. 29, 2011 8:24 pm

The Woodlander! Yes, it will heat your home and yes it's a good unit. It is natural draft however, no combustion blower. Call Burnham tomorrow and find out if they still support it with parts. They did a few years ago when I spoke with them, almost bought a new one but they discontinued it two weeks prior to my order. :) They can also send you the owner's install and operation manual for it. If they can't, PM me, I have a copy.

Boots

Post by Boots » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 6:49 pm

ok, so ill be looking here for a lot of help in the future, I just bought the sfb 101 I started this thread about. I payed $350 for it I went and saw it tonight and it looks like its in great shape! Im sure there are some things I should have checked for but do not know about. All the controls (im assuming its all of them) are still on the boiler. It has the handle for the shaker with it still and I cant wait to go pick it up sunday.

I do have one question, do I need a domestic water coil for the coal boiler if I have one in my oil boiler? I plan to hook them together. If I have not given enough information in the question let me know.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Boots wrote:I do have one question, do I need a domestic water coil for the coal boiler if I have one in my oil boiler? I plan to hook them together.
There is a few ways to go with this, it really depends on how you plumb and run the boilers and/or what you want to spend.

Boots

Post by Boots » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 7:08 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Boots wrote:I do have one question, do I need a domestic water coil for the coal boiler if I have one in my oil boiler? I plan to hook them together.
There is a few ways to go with this, it really depends on how you plumb and run the boilers and/or what you want to spend.
Im sure this has been gone over multiple times, in order to no beat the dead horse can you/someone point me in the right direction, what do I need to search for, or is there a sticky somewhere?

Bear038

Post by Bear038 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 7:28 pm

You are lucky you saw it before I did. I would have gone to Dillsburg in an instant for that price.

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 7:41 pm

when you are looking for anything on burnham they are now usboiler.com they stopped making that combi boiler a long time ago but it was very popular. if you cant get anywhere let me know, I know one of the reps

Boots

Post by Boots » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Bear038 wrote:You are lucky you saw it before I did. I would have gone to Dillsburg in an instant for that price.
yea, I jumped on it quick. I cant beleave the shape this thing is in either, Ill post pics as soon as I pick it up.
blizzard87 wrote:when you are looking for anything on burnham they are now usboiler.com they stopped making that combi boiler a long time ago but it was very popular. if you cant get anywhere let me know, I know one of the reps
I've stumbled on usboiler.net and I cant find any info on their past models on the site. I tried calling today, and Im assuming the person I got on the phone was preoccupied with something because everything I asked he replied "i don't know" or something to that effect. He could not tell me If they still had parts available for the boiler. He could not tell me if they still had access to the owners/operators manual, and he could not let me talk to someone who did know. So I figure I will call back in a day or two and see what kind of response I get.

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 5:08 am

boots, today I will check and see if I have or can locate a manual if you need one.

Boots

Post by Boots » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 9:34 pm

blizzard87 wrote:boots, today I will check and see if I have or can locate a manual if you need one.
yes I would like one. if you can locate it.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Dec. 02, 2011 12:22 pm

I have one, PM your info and I'll drop one in the mail. Did you get to someone with a brain at Burnham?

Boots

Post by Boots » Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 6:33 pm

So, I call the guy I bought the sfb101 from last night to make sure we are still on for the 7:30 pick up this morning. He tells me " I don't know how you're gonna load this thing, it is heavy. We put it on a piece of plywood and drug it with the truck" And I think I hope they did not do what I think they did, and unfortunately / fortunately they drug the boiler across the plywood with a pick up truck. They caved in the sheet metal which turned out to be a not so bad thing. I ended up talking him down another $100 I walked away with that boiler plus a bell and gossett circulating pump for $250. I think I made out ok. Now to try my hand a sheet metal work!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 6:40 pm

I got the manual off in the mail today, should be there Thursday.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 6:24 am

the boiler PLUS a B&G circ pump for $250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you laugh all the way home? See below for the price of the pump by itself NEW~~~

Bell and Gossett 103252 NBF-22 Circ Pump

List Price:
$363.46
Price:
$363.31
You Save:
$0.15 (0%)

Brand:
Bell and Gossett
Model:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 8:59 am

blrman07 wrote:Did you laugh all the way home?
Look at the firebrick! Looks brand new, like the guy fired it up and then forgot about it. :)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”