Glenwood #8

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sun. Nov. 13, 2011 6:11 pm

dlj wrote:
SteveZee wrote: Pierre,

the Glenwood #6 is 16" firepot and the #8 is an 18" firepot.

DJ, when you get a #8, you can sell me your #6 ! ;)
As I'm thinking about it, the #8 I saw next to mine at the stove hospital when I picked up my restored #6 was not a Glenwood. It was another manufacturer. After your explanation, it jogged my memory a bit. Emery told me that the Glenwood #8 was no where near as big as the one that I was looking at. I don't remember what that one was. Notably larger than the Glenwood though...

dj
Your right DJ, I also remember that comparison. It was a Quaker #8 he was talking about that was quite a bit larger.

chubs
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: combustioneer 77
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker bit.

Post by chubs » Mon. Nov. 14, 2011 6:20 am

vermontash wrote:There is a glenwood #8 in todays local auction complete and in nice condition. What is it worth? I have stoker boilers in my places and have no clue as to the value of a stove but it sure is pretty with all that nickle trim.$300? Please comment if you know what they sell for used. Thanks!
Monday morning, we need an update, did you become a new proud owner of the stove?

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Mon. Nov. 14, 2011 6:56 am

If you are still looking at the #8.. Reach way in the back right corner of the ashpit and feel the floor. If it is level you have a possible buy. If the floor is twisted down you are in trouble. That is usually the first place for major damage if the stove has been overheated for long periods. I usually walk away if the floor is bad.
Next lift the body off the base and tip[ the stove forward on it's face. Check the bottom pan ---especially the corners. Broken corners is not too bad because you can usually weld them. Long cracks across the bottom are really bad. You have to make a decision for yourself after looking at thoise two spots. Emery

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”