The Glenwood

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri. Sep. 30, 2011 3:45 pm

well today it is a crappy windy 50'ish here in the good ol armpit of PA with temps fallin as the day goes on so I crumpled some paper, tore up a deceased 30 pack carton and threw some 3X5 oak pcs on top an WHALLA! ....the Ol Glenwood is alive after her summers nap.
She lit just as fine as you can imagine, a little time on the hardwood fire to get a some hot coals then a few scoops of Nut an she is comin up just fine and in a few more minutes I will fill her to the top of the pot and gag her down for a 24/28 hr. burn to take the damp outta the shop.....tomorrow lookin like a wet,windy day here and down in the 30's at night so I will be able to keep her goin and re-season her up after some touch up and polish for the upcoming season, I understand she will have to go out soon but it was nice today to hear the FREIGHT TRANE RUN when she first lit and established a good strong draft!
BRING IT ON OLD MAN WINTER!!!
HEHEHEHEEE...
Tim

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Sep. 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Ha,ha,ha..Good one Tim,
I can't actually say that I envy you, it's about 70 up here and humid, but I sure know that feeling. I actually went to True Value and grabbed a large cowboy charcoal and a kinda cool 10 gal steel ash can with cover for the barn. It's like a large feed can for dog food or grain but I think it's perfect for an ash can since I'll be filling low spots in the driveway with my ash this year.
Won't be long before I'm striking a match up here myself. Weather changes fast around here.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Sep. 30, 2011 8:18 pm

Nothing like your iron friend awakened from a long sleep. It won't be long now. I am itching to fully try out my new Glenwood No 9. I had a visit from my sister whom I haven't seen in 20 years. She named the stove, "Albert." She thought the No 9 needed an aristocratic name. It fits the stove's personality very well so Albert it is.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Sep. 30, 2011 9:40 pm

wsherrick wrote:Nothing like your iron friend awakened from a long sleep. It won't be long now. I am itching to fully try out my new Glenwood No 9. I had a visit from my sister whom I haven't seen in 20 years. She named the stove, "Albert." She thought the No 9 needed an aristocratic name. It fits the stove's personality very well so Albert it is.
And could also be: Prince Albert

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Sep. 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Tim wrote:well today it is a crappy windy 50'ish here in the good ol armpit of PA with temps fallin as the day goes on so I crumpled some paper, tore up a deceased 30 pack carton and threw some 3X5 oak pcs on top an WHALLA! ....the Ol Glenwood is alive after her summers nap.
She lit just as fine as you can imagine, a little time on the hardwood fire to get a some hot coals then a few scoops of Nut an she is comin up just fine and in a few more minutes I will fill her to the top of the pot and gag her down for a 24/28 hr. burn to take the damp outta the shop.....tomorrow lookin like a wet,windy day here and down in the 30's at night so I will be able to keep her goin and re-season her up after some touch up and polish for the upcoming season, I understand she will have to go out soon but it was nice today to hear the FREIGHT TRANE RUN when she first lit and established a good strong draft!
BRING IT ON OLD MAN WINTER!!!
HEHEHEHEEE...
Tim
Sad to say but it's much warmer here in the North so must wait again. Have a good season Tim.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Oct. 01, 2011 8:45 am

nortcan wrote:
wsherrick wrote:Nothing like your iron friend awakened from a long sleep. It won't be long now. I am itching to fully try out my new Glenwood No 9. I had a visit from my sister whom I haven't seen in 20 years. She named the stove, "Albert." She thought the No 9 needed an aristocratic name. It fits the stove's personality very well so Albert it is.
And could also be: Prince Albert
Yep same the Herald is Prince Harry!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Oct. 01, 2011 3:25 pm

SteveZee wrote:
nortcan wrote: And could also be: Prince Albert
Yep same the Herald is Prince Harry!
Princess Anne could be nice for my bride, the Golden one LOL.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Sat. Oct. 01, 2011 5:46 pm

I've had a few Cowboy coal fires already and one actual wood fire. In fact, my wifey was complaining it was cold today. So, I put a bag of Cowboy coal and set it ablaze. It'll be out though before dark but at least the house'll be warm for a bunch of hours.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat. Oct. 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Gotta Brag Folks,,,So Bare with me!
well just to state how GREAT it is to own a Glenwood Oak multi fuel stove...SO here she goes.
yesterday the shop was cold and damp ....NP light the O'l Gal an had a nice coal fire through the night and the shop was toasty and warm this morning after we got home from town the coal fire was still goin just barely but too far gone to bring back so I figured with a nice bed of coal ash protecting the grates heck light a wood fire up so in a few minutes up went some oak blocks without a match and so far today I have consumed a total of 3 pcs. of Hard Maple roughly 20" long and she is purring along keeping me nice an warm, all day it has rained and been in the 40's so ya know how that gets into your Ol bones quick but with my Glenwood I have that option to switch from coal to wood and back with NO FUSS NO MUSS !
ya gotta love our forefathers that actually thought things out and built quality products for the everyday folks in this great country back in the day.
Some day I would love to pick up a Baseburner for my house but I will never EVER part with #30...she is just way to versatile and user freindly to ever even thing of parting with.
enjoy the heat our stoves provide this upcoming season everyone I know I will.
take care all,
Tim

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Oct. 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Tim wrote:Gotta Brag Folks,,,So Bare with me!
well just to state how GREAT it is to own a Glenwood Oak multi fuel stove...SO here she goes.
yesterday the shop was cold and damp ....NP light the O'l Gal an had a nice coal fire through the night and the shop was toasty and warm this morning after we got home from town the coal fire was still goin just barely but too far gone to bring back so I figured with a nice bed of coal ash protecting the grates heck light a wood fire up so in a few minutes up went some oak blocks without a match and so far today I have consumed a total of 3 pcs. of Hard Maple roughly 20" long and she is purring along keeping me nice an warm, all day it has rained and been in the 40's so ya know how that gets into your Ol bones quick but with my Glenwood I have that option to switch from coal to wood and back with NO FUSS NO MUSS !
ya gotta love our forefathers that actually thought things out and built quality products for the everyday folks in this great country back in the day.
Some day I would love to pick up a Baseburner for my house but I will never EVER part with #30...she is just way to versatile and user freindly to ever even thing of parting with.
enjoy the heat our stoves provide this upcoming season everyone I know I will.
take care all,
Tim
You go boy!! :up:

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 8:11 am

Nice write up Tim,

Very encouraging. I kind of feel the same about Prince Harry. Since he was my first rescue/rebuild, I feel like he's earned a place in The Gables history/immortality. Of course I'm jumping the gun a bit and will know more soon but fingers crossed that he's be a great performer. What sized stove is your Glenwood Tim? Any idea what you think the output might be?

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Steve,
I would guess that my #30 is bought the same size as a Glenwood Modern Series #6....my firepot is real close to the same size as Will's ...they made a #40 that would be close to the same as a #8, mine is just a decade and a half older than the Modern Series Baseburners.
My #30 was cast in 1899 and has the indirect back pipe wich leads me to believe that Glenwood was experimenting on new desighn efficiencies wich in turn led to there Modern Series Baseburners, I could be all wet on this maybe Will will know the particulars ...WHAT SAY YA WILL????
Thanks,
Tim

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Yep, so that would be a 16 incher on the firepot. That's a good sized stove then. You could be right about that Tim. I know they kept the Modern Oak series with or without the back pipe. The baseheaters were the top of the line, baseburners next in line, then our type with indirect backpipes and the the direct oaks. All of them came in several sizes too as little 8 inch on the small oaks to 18" or 20" in some cases.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”