Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(Hopefully) a Few Photos

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Mon. Dec. 26, 2011 7:04 am

The shaker is in the front and the check mis controlled by a handle under the nickel on the right side. I have folks down all the time. 250 stoves in and sround the two barns.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Feb. 07, 2012 11:46 pm

I did an experiment this morning on the Glenwood 9 to see just how the stove behaved after I got it really hot. I wanted to see how quickly and effectively the stove could radiate heat after running in direct draft and then changed to Base Burner Mode.
I don't understand why I haven't thought of doing this before, but; I haven't.
The stove was allowed to get up to around 575 on the barrel and the stack temperature was over 350 in direct draft.
I left the secondary and primary dampers in the same postion to provide control conditions.
With a stack temperature of 350 I was throwing away a lot of heat. Typical temps for a hot direct draft stove.
When I flipped it into base burner mode, the stack temperature instantly started to fall. You could see the needle moving down. The stove temperature stayed the same while the stack temperature plummeted. Within 5 to 7 minutes the stack temperature was down to 120 while the stove temperature was still at 575 where it was set. In the meantime I noticed a large change in the heat output of the stove. It rapidly increased while I was standing there.
The real time observed differance was impressive to me. The capacity of the stove to efficiently capture and radiate the available heat in a short time is obviously quite high.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Feb. 08, 2012 7:26 pm

That's nice to find out it made its changes so quickly, very impressive. What is the length of the path the 9 has when in baseburner ? I can't remember what I read about the No 6 but guessing it would have a path of 10-12 feet of additional path for the internal flue when in base burner mode ?

May try this myself this weekend.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Feb. 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Base Burner/Heater is really the way all stove should be made to get the most heat possible in the house and not in the chimney.
Very nice conclusion William.
We still wait for the next videos on the No 9, and also a nice book about your antique stove stories and experiences about all these stoves, about the manufacturing data...about the models, burning modes...I could imagine a nice book having your DVD in a special pocket insert.......

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Feb. 10, 2012 11:16 am

echos67 wrote:That's nice to find out it made its changes so quickly, very impressive. What is the length of the path the 9 has when in baseburner ? I can't remember what I read about the No 6 but guessing it would have a path of 10-12 feet of additional path for the internal flue when in base burner mode ?

May try this myself this weekend.
I haven't measured the No 9, but the Glenwood No 6 has 12 feet of base heating flue.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Feb. 10, 2012 11:17 am

nortcan wrote:Base Burner/Heater is really the way all stove should be made to get the most heat possible in the house and not in the chimney.
Very nice conclusion William.
We still wait for the next videos on the No 9, and also a nice book about your antique stove stories and experiences about all these stoves, about the manufacturing data...about the models, burning modes...I could imagine a nice book having your DVD in a special pocket insert.......
The video will come. It was supposed to slow down at work after the New Year, but; that hasn't happend. I get enough time to jump on and off here before I get called to go to work.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Well the No 9 has just been cleaned and polished for the coming season. I still have to put the pipe back up. Next to it is my new rocking chair, just waiting for those cold snowy nights. These two and a cup of Baily's and Coffee all were made in the vast scheme of things, to all go together. The cold weather can't come soon enough.

Attachments

DSC00315-2.jpg

Glenwood all polished up and ready to go. Rocking chair ready to be sat in.

.JPG | 80.2KB | DSC00315-2.jpg

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 9:35 am

Look's great William!!

Eventually I'll follow in your footsteps, Emery has me on his list for a nice Quaker # 8.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 11:47 am

Very well said William, a real " Winter Poem" :clap:

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Very Nice William. Love the new chair. I have an old oak rocker down in the garage shop waiting for a new runner/rocker. One broke and I'm using the other to make a pattern for the broken one. Mine is a Boston/Windsor style.

I can wait a little more for winter though as I still have lots to get done! :shock: That said, winter is a fine time of year for catching up on reading, playing/practicing some music and all of the indoor projects.

Earth, Wind & Fire, that's a heck of a stove you're waiting on. A Quaker #8 is one big heater of a stove!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 3:03 pm

Hopefully that No. 9 doesn't overheat the chair. ;)

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 8:52 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:Look's great William!!

Eventually I'll follow in your footsteps, Emery has me on his list for a nice Quaker # 8.
Thank you very much. Someday, you will have enough confidence in burning coal and yourself to free yourself from all of the, "gizmology." The coal burns just fine in an appliance that simply goes along with the natural physics of combustion and heat transfer. It's quite easy after all. I look forward to the day you make this grand discovery for yourself.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 8:54 pm

SteveZee wrote:Very Nice William. Love the new chair. I have an old oak rocker down in the garage shop waiting for a new runner/rocker. One broke and I'm using the other to make a pattern for the broken one. Mine is a Boston/Windsor style.

I can wait a little more for winter though as I still have lots to get done! :shock: That said, winter is a fine time of year for catching up on reading, playing/practicing some music and all of the indoor projects.

Earth, Wind & Fire, that's a heck of a stove you're waiting on. A Quaker #8 is one big heater of a stove!
One of those things should be to get the rocking chair fixed and planted next to the Glenwood.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Aug. 31, 2012 1:32 pm

wsherrick wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Very Nice William. Love the new chair. I have an old oak rocker down in the garage shop waiting for a new runner/rocker. One broke and I'm using the other to make a pattern for the broken one. Mine is a Boston/Windsor style.

One of those things should be to get the rocking chair fixed and planted next to the Glenwood.
Oh you can bet it is William! Just looking for the right piece of oak to cut that runner out of. They work allot better (stronger and less splitting potential) if cut out of quartersawn lumber.

half-pint
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove Hotblast 2500
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Stove sized Anthracite / WV Bituminous

Post by half-pint » Tue. Sep. 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I cheated a bit… I skipped the rocker and just put me a Lazy Boy recliner in the room with my stove. I plan on spending time with my stove over the winter doing schoolwork.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”