Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(Hopefully) a Few Photos

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 23, 2011 9:42 am

Does someone remember where I can see the photo of the Houshold Peach Franklin stove that was on the forum a few time ago?
I also wanted to get some infos on that stove, I really don't even know if it's a stove or a sort of ""insert to place in a masonery alcove or just a sort of franklin stove...but got no infos on it. That stove also looks like the stove William had to make a video.
So if someone have something about it I would be happy. Thanks.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Fri. Dec. 23, 2011 10:07 am

nortcan...... The Peach that you are looking for is on the thread listed Converting my Glenwood 208c Cookstove to Coal - Page 8 Midway down. It is a post from stovehospital along with the picture of the stove. Hope this helps you out. Stay warm up there.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 23, 2011 10:14 am

buck24 wrote:nortcan...... The Peach that you are looking for is on the thread listed Converting my Glenwood 208c Cookstove to Coal - Page 8 Midway down. It is a post from stovehospital along with the picture of the stove. Hope this helps you out. Stay warm up there.
WOW buck24, very fast! Thanks
Have a nice Christmas time, nortcan

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Dec. 23, 2011 12:30 pm

nortcan wrote:Does someone remember where I can see the photo of the Houshold Peach Franklin stove that was on the forum a few time ago?
I also wanted to get some infos on that stove, I really don't even know if it's a stove or a sort of ""insert to place in a masonery alcove or just a sort of franklin stove...but got no infos on it. That stove also looks like the stove William had to make a video.
So if someone have something about it I would be happy. Thanks.
Notcan, the Peach is exactly like the Stanley Argand. It's just a lot newer and a whole lot larger. It is a free standing stove. It has a very large firepot. Even though the Peach has a highly ornate victorian look, it was made up into the early 20's. They are rather rare. They cost $70, and had an indirect draft. $70 dollars was extremely expensive then and the coal stove era was nearing its end. That's probably why there aren't many of these in existance.
Below is a catalog picture of the Peach from the 1924 Quaker Stove Catalog.

Attachments

2845285.jpg

Peach Indirect Draft Franklin

.JPG | 58.1KB | 2845285.jpg

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 23, 2011 11:24 pm

Will, do you know what they meant by: open grate?
On the photo sent by Emery , the Household Peach is looking like beeing in an alcove. My VigII is in a faux foyer, a little like on that photo and it gives me all sort of ideas. I should stop to look at that Household!
Thank for the infos. You really have all on antique stoves infos/photos...knowledge...You should write a book on antique stoves and on all your experiences with them and include your videos as a bonus. I want to be the first to get that best seller.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 8:37 am

nortcan wrote:Will, do you know what they meant by: open grate?
On the photo sent by Emery , the Household Peach is looking like beeing in an alcove. My VigII is in a faux foyer, a little like on that photo and it gives me all sort of ideas. I should stop to look at that Household!
Thank for the infos. You really have all on antique stoves infos/photos...knowledge...You should write a book on antique stoves and on all your experiences with them and include your videos as a bonus. I want to be the first to get that best seller.
Sounds like someone may be shopping for a new stove :lol: ?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 4:35 pm

echos67 wrote:
nortcan wrote:Will, do you know what they meant by: open grate?
Sounds like someone may be shopping for a new stove :lol: ?
Keep that for us :shh: , the Bride (the one) doesn't know anything about that ""new dream"". And I also don't know very much about these models. The only thing I know is it seems to fit in my faux foyer about like the VigII. But don't have any measurement...on these stoves

Attachments

DSC03568.JPG

Yes or NO?

.JPG | 93.9KB | DSC03568.JPG

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 4:39 pm

My Household Peach is sitting in a fireplace. It is a two sided fireplace that was never used. When we added and addition I had the top of the fireplace made into a dome on both sides. The Peach is on one side and the Herald is on the other. The stove has a 15" firepot and I slow mine down by using the upper doors and the check damper. Thia is a very powerful stove.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 4:55 pm

stovehospital wrote:My Household Peach is sitting in a fireplace. It is a two sided fireplace that was never used. When we added and addition I had the top of the fireplace made into a dome on both sides. The Peach is on one side and the Herald is on the other. The stove has a 15" firepot and I slow mine down by using the upper doors and the check damper. Thia is a very powerful stove.
Thanks for the infos. Does it have an ash pan?
What sort of grate is in these stoves?
Do you know how many Sq feet these stoves can heat? My house is 2200 Sq F and have central air circulation and very well insulated, plus the Golden Bride makes the house even more confortable while having the VigII running lower.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 6:26 pm

nortcan wrote:
stovehospital wrote:My Household Peach is sitting in a fireplace. It is a two sided fireplace that was never used. When we added and addition I had the top of the fireplace made into a dome on both sides. The Peach is on one side and the Herald is on the other. The stove has a 15" firepot and I slow mine down by using the upper doors and the check damper. Thia is a very powerful stove.
Thanks for the infos. Does it have an ash pan?
What sort of grate is in these stoves?
Do you know how many Sq feet these stoves can heat? My house is 2200 Sq F and have central air circulation and very well insulated, plus the Golden Bride makes the house even more confortable while having the VigII running lower.
It has a big ash pan and a circular, draw center, standard grate. My little Stanley Argand can heat a 1,000 square foot house and it is half the size of this stove. The Peach with a 15 inch fire pot can really produce a large amount of heat. And as a bonus the Peach has an indirect draft like a Base Burner so you would still have your efficiency as well.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks Will for the infos.
According to you, is it possible to compare the Peach to my VigII, when not modified? The VigII is rated 50,000 Btu's/hr in the manual and they write Max. area heated: 2,000 sq.ft.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 8:22 pm

nortcan wrote:Thanks Will for the infos.
According to you, is it possible to compare the Peach to my VigII, when not modified? The VigII is rated 50,000 Btu's/hr in the manual and they write Max. area heated: 2,000 sq.ft.
I'm sure it could match your Vigilant.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Just to make shure I understand correctly, the grate/shaker is not like in your Stanley A. and doesn't have the round outer grate. But is it about like in your No 9?
Did you get problem with sliding doors system on the Stanley?

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Sun. Dec. 25, 2011 8:55 am

THe Peach has a very robust draw center grate similar but much bigger than the 109. It suspends in a cast iron firepot similar to pots found in Base burners. MIne heats like crazy.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Dec. 25, 2011 2:09 pm

stovehospital wrote:THe Peach has a very robust draw center grate similar but much bigger than the 109. It suspends in a cast iron firepot similar to pots found in Base burners. MIne heats like crazy.
But are you able to control that ""crazy"" girl? LOL.
Are the check damper and shaker lever located at the back of the stove or on the side or somewhere else? I don't have many space in the faux foyer.
Maybe personnal but I need to ask: do you allow sometime peoples to get in your house to see how a stove heats and how it is made?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”