Just Talked to Emery at Antique Stove Hospital Today...

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Fri. Jun. 17, 2011 9:57 am

The modern day tech way to do this is have you existing castings scanned with a 3-D scanner. This will give you CAD (Computer Aided Design) files of each piece. Then by using a CAD program it's simple to scale up the size slightly to allow for foundry casting shrinkage. These now larger size CAD files would then be used to make the patterns.

If you want to learn what's possible with modern CAD programs, do a search for Google's "sketchup", a 3-D solid modeling program. It will run on your Windows computer and is absolutely unbelievable what it can do in the hands of a trained user. Lots of UTube training videos. Sketchup will function full up for 30 days, then some of the high end features stop working. Very, very useful for lots of home projects. Give it a close look. It's a free download. There are even links to EngineeringToolBox.com for scripts that will create things like stairs steps in 3-D.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Jun. 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Yanche wrote:The modern day tech way to do this is have you existing castings scanned with a 3-D scanner. This will give you CAD (Computer Aided Design) files of each piece. Then by using a CAD program it's simple to scale up the size slightly to allow for foundry casting shrinkage. These now larger size CAD files would then be used to make the patterns.

If you want to learn what's possible with modern CAD programs, do a search for Google's "sketchup", a 3-D solid modeling program. It will run on your Windows computer and is absolutely unbelievable what it can do in the hands of a trained user. Lots of UTube training videos. Sketchup will function full up for 30 days, then some of the high end features stop working. Very, very useful for lots of home projects. Give it a close look. It's a free download. There are even links to EngineeringToolBox.com for scripts that will create things like stairs steps in 3-D.
Nice Yanche!

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Fri. Jun. 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Yanche wrote:The modern day tech way to do this is have you existing castings scanned with a 3-D scanner. This will give you CAD (Computer Aided Design) files of each piece. Then by using a CAD program it's simple to scale up the size slightly to allow for foundry casting shrinkage. These now larger size CAD files would then be used to make the patterns.

We do this at my work. We start with the CAD drawings, we don't scan in existing parts, but others do that. The pattern making is the part that is really amazing. The CAD drawing drives a LASER in a special powder and the complete three dimensional part is created from the powder. These we use in several ways, one is to make the molds for castings... It's truly an amazing process...

dj

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jun. 17, 2011 6:45 pm

I am currently taking the Glenwood apart for a complete cleaning and inspection. I've never totally disassembled it until now. The thing has a million parts to it. It would require a lot of work to image each of the componet parts and get a mold for each one of them. It is amazing to me how these things are made to just be totally taken apart, maintained and easily put back together. The neatest thing I've just discovered about the stove is that you can remove the entire grate assembly just by sliding it out, grates, frame and all. All you have to do is remove the dust plate that covers the front and then slide the whole thing out. I've had this stove for over two years and I am still learning about it and still amazed at the thought that went to making something that was designed to last a lifetime.

I also forgot to mention that when I left from my visit to Antique Stove Hospital, I didn't leave empty handed.... ;)

dlj

Post by dlj » Fri. Jun. 17, 2011 10:26 pm

wsherrick wrote: I also forgot to mention that when I left from my visit to Antique Stove Hospital, I didn't leave empty handed.... ;)
Dude - You can't leave this like that you know... Oh, you've gotten "something"? And haven't either told us or posted pictures?????

dj

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jun. 17, 2011 11:24 pm

dlj wrote:
wsherrick wrote: I also forgot to mention that when I left from my visit to Antique Stove Hospital, I didn't leave empty handed.... ;)
Dude - You can't leave this like that you know... Oh, you've gotten "something"? And haven't either told us or posted pictures?????

dj
I can't post pictures until I get a new computer, but: you'll see-I think it is a pretty neat something. I was talking to Emery meanwhile his son along with the friend I took with me on the trip vanished from sight. I got back in the truck to go home and looked in the rear view mirror. Something was rattling around in the back of the truck, put there as if by magic. And I might add it is the absolute last one he had available. :D

I got a Glenwood No 9 Base Burner. It is one of the prior series before the more common, Modern Series, and it looks much different and is a little more ornate than the later No. 111's. It dates from 1901. It holds about 30 pounds of coal and is about 4 feet high. I traded the Andes Base Burner for it. I'm going to try it out in the living room this year. I will keep the Stanley Argand for a future addition to the house I have in mind down the road. But the above story is true I didn't know it was a done deal until I saw the stove in the back of the truck.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Jun. 18, 2011 8:02 am

DJ, That is a facinating process you have described. No doubt we have the technology to do whatever we might want. It's really just a matter of what one is willing to spend.

Will, Your description of breaking down the #6 reminds me exactly of my Glenwood. If you recall, when I was installing the new grates in the cookstove, I was amazed at how easy the process was. That front plate had two tabs that held it in. You were required to open the small front door to rotate them. The plate then popped off and the new coal grates in the frame, just slid right into place. There were two holes on that front plate. One in the middle for wood grates and one offset for the coal grates and there was a decorative tab that moved to cover either or. It was really a design of simplicity and function with form!

You sly devil! I wondered why you would drive up with the Andes just for an opinion! Can't wait to see the 09. I'll venture a guess that it was a size issue (having a smaller second BB) to do duty with the #6? That's the reason I traded the 116 parts for the smaller Herald 112. It was just a better fit for my house at the moment. It's a clone of an Our Glenwood 109.

I can tell you all this. This whole stove deal is becoming infectious. I keep finding myself scanning for old stoves and thinking of how I can buy this or that, restore it and either use it or resell it! Hopefully, I'll upgrade as I go and end up with a smaller sized BB myself. I'll run the stoves I have at the moment this winter and get a feel for how they perform. I'll take that info and go from there. I know I'll always have the cookstove in the kitchen, that's a given. It's too good as a heater, a cooker and a baker. The other parlor stove will be the upgradable stove. Can't wait to see the pix of the new one Will!

PS: Nice 5hp Wood splitter for sale :P

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Jun. 18, 2011 9:28 am

SteveZee wrote: PS: Nice 5hp Wood splitter for sale :P
I'm sure you're going to have a lot of takers for that on this forum... NOT... LOL

William - You dog - You drove (almost) right by my house to get the stove from Emery and didn't tell me anything! You'd better get another computer soon! Or I might just have to drove to the Poconos and take pictures to post for you...

dj

dlj

Post by dlj » Sat. Jun. 18, 2011 9:35 am

wsherrick wrote:I am currently taking the Glenwood apart for a complete cleaning and inspection. I've never totally disassembled it until now. The thing has a million parts to it. It would require a lot of work to image each of the componet parts and get a mold for each one of them.
Yes, it looks like a million parts... When I first got my Glenwood it was all apart. I had to put it all together, and that without even knowing what the finished product was supposed to look like...

Now think about what it would take to manufacture all those parts and then assemble them all... If you want to build one of these to sell - you couldn't be competitive in the market. Now, if you take the fundamental ideas of how this baby works and figured out a much simpler way to build it - then you may have a product that would really be sellable...

dj

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Jun. 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Well, the trip up there certainly turned out differently than I thought it would. I didn't even know I had the day off from work until after 5 PM the day before. I thought I would take the Andes up there, see if it was restorable or find out what he had and maybe select a stove to be restored and ready by the Autumn if he had one that fit the bill. Well, by the end the end of the day, I had two stoves to pick from a base burner with a 13 inch firepot and the Glenwood. The Glenwood is just the right size for the living room and the hearth.
I certainly don't have the cash to spring on another stove right at present, but; somehow that Glenwood ended up in my truck and now its sitting upstairs waiting for some polish and attention.
Really I had no idea fellas!!!

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed. Jun. 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Yup, Fall in a bucket a S#&% and come out smellin like ROSES!.....hehehehee...Congrats on your new Glennwood Will.
Can't wait to see her up and running this fall.
Take Care.
Tim 8-)

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Jun. 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Tim wrote:Yup, Fall in a bucket a S#&% and come out smellin like ROSES!.....hehehehee...Congrats on your new Glennwood Will.
Can't wait to see her up and running this fall.
Take Care.
Tim 8-)
Thank you, I feel very fortunate to have obtained that stove. I called him again this morning to ask him a question about the No 6. He told me that he has so many people lined up to see him this weekend, that if they all show up he will have to hand out numbers. He has a No 6 that he is working on right now. Again, I'm telling you, demand for base burners is going through the roof and if anybody wants one you better get on the stick, or go without. Enough people have discovered that these are by far the best stoves that exist for the use of coal that now base heaters are what most people are asking about as well as coal burning ranges and they are snapping them up as soon as he gets them finished.
I promise to put up some pictures of the Glenwood No 9 as soon as possible. It's a very dignified looking stove. It is going to fit perfectly on the stone hearth in the living room.
Last edited by wsherrick on Wed. Jun. 22, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Jun. 22, 2011 4:19 pm

I wonder if any of the manufacturers applied for patents?

If so, detailed drawings would exist at the US Patent Office.

Here is a link to Patent # 1,413,344 which is a Lewis Moore coal stove from 1922: http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=01413344&home ... first+page

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Jun. 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Looking at how the Andes Base Burner and the Glenwood No. 9 are made, they are exactly the same except for the size and the casting details. Herald, Magee, Crawford and most of the high end stove makers in the Northeast made these stoves. They are much simpler in construction than the Base Heaters from my observation of them. The whole stove is held together by long tie rods that run from the top of the stove to the bottom casting. The firepots are all suspended internally within the outer barrel. The exhaust gasses pass around the firepot down to the base heating chambers then up and out. Basically the stove is the cast top piece the barrel and the ashpit below which is made of rectangular pieces fitted together. I think that these stoves might be a lot easier to make at a lower cost than a full blown base heater.
The advantage of the Base Heater is that it is a dual fuel heater whereas the others are not made for anything but Anthracite Coal. The firepot on the No 9 is 10 inches in diameter and about 16 inches deep. That is the perfect configuration for hard coal, for wood an impossibility.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”