Modern Glenwood Is Really a Wood Stove?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. May. 20, 2011 6:50 pm

One of the great things about Glenwoods is that they are still very common, even after a Century has passed since they stopped making them. It really speaks about the quality of these stoves. Parts for them are easily obtained. You could also take the stove to Bryants near you and have it professionally restored to like brand new and still come out ahead. The No 116's and 118's are the best sizes of the Modern Oaks. If you are a patient and somewhat handy, restoring a stove is really not that hard. I always say this, it's a lot more dirty than hard. We are here to help you with any and all concerns that you may have. Let us know what you do.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. May. 20, 2011 7:35 pm

dlj wrote:
wsherrick wrote: My Glenwood is the best by far of all of them.
No it's not William, MINE is! LOL

dj
This is like someone arguing with their reflection in the mirror over who is the best looking. :)

szmaine

Post by szmaine » Sat. May. 21, 2011 8:06 am

I'm still struggling with a decision.
We are fairly handy and sure don't mind getting dirty. I don't think any welding would be involved but that could be taken to someone else.
I'm more concerned about getting the thing apart for transport due to the rock hard stove cement someone smeared
at the junction of the cylinder and the base.
Anyway my husband and I are milling it over still. I'll let you know what we do.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Oh, and if anyone has an opinion as to what that cement is and how best to remove it... that would be helpful.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 21, 2011 8:15 am

Gently chisel it & it should come off--the key being--GENTLE--it's probably stove cement or some similar critter & shouldn't be a problem unless there are big cracks underneath--then you would be looking at welding & cast takes somebody that knows what they are doing!!----sounds decent for $450.00--BUT, you guys are the ones seeing it ;)

PC 12-47E
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Estate Heatrola, Jotul 507

Post by PC 12-47E » Sat. May. 21, 2011 9:21 am

szmaine wrote:I'm still struggling with a decision.
We are fairly handy and sure don't mind getting dirty.
I'm more concerned about getting the thing apart for transport due to the rock hard stove cement someone smeared at the junction of the cylinder and the base.
My Baseburner stands four and a half feet tall. After removing all the doors & stove top, shaker grate, base stand, etc...(all the parts that you don't have to un-bolt) the stove was easy to move. With all of the parts removed, the stove was about 75 lbs. lighter. I had a two wheel hand truck and one person helping me. The only part that 2 people were needed for was lifting it into the bed of my pickup truck.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. May. 21, 2011 7:02 pm

The stove is not really that hard to move. The ash pit, fire pot and barrel stay together. The legs and base frame, all doors, all the trim, swingtop and finial all are designed to lift right off. The grates come out easily as well. Get some boxes, put all those parts in the boxes with some sort of padding. Get something soft to lay down in the truck bed. The body of the stove should lay on it's side and be securely tied so it doesn't roll any. The padding underneath will protect it from the bumps in the road. Everything else is safely put in the boxes. Two people can lift the body of the stove without too much pain. Without all of the other pieces it isn't that heavy.
Don't worry about removing the botched furnace cement until you get it home. You will find a deep sense of connection with the stove as you work on it and see it for the jewel that it is. You will have adopted a new member of the family that you can always depend on for the rest of your days to bring you satisfaction and warmth, not to mention the money you will be saving by using coal. You will become very attached to it.

szmaine

Post by szmaine » Sun. May. 22, 2011 9:12 am

Sorry for the anti-climax...but I bought a Chubby yesterday.

I would not have been able to resist the Glenwood had I not suddenly found the ad for the Chubby less than an hour from my home.

Though I really loved the Glenwood :cry2: -Steve is right it would be too big for us. Our house has a really bad layout for moving heat so 3 0f the 4 downstairs rooms have a stove to be used as needed. This stove is to replace the Kineo Grand Parlor stove in the dining room which, while open to the 18x30 living room by an 6ft (?) open doorway, is still only 14x16 or so and too crowded for a bigger stove.

Thanks to everyone for all the input on the Glenwood.
I'll soon be picking you brains endlessly about the Chubby I'm sure.

ps. I got it for $250 with two extra new grates and a door gasket kit with two new "windows".

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. May. 22, 2011 10:01 am

Congratulations! Good luck you your "new" stove. Sounds like you got a great deal! There are lots of folk on here that have plenty of experience with the Chubby so I'm sure you will get all the answers you may need. But it won't take you long to get that stove up and running, they are easy to use...

dj

canarias7

Post by canarias7 » Mon. May. 23, 2011 10:15 am

Hi, does somebody knows if there is a stove dealer in the South Florida area?
I have a Modern Glenwood 16 that my husband brought from NY a few years ago,
but I live in Miami Beach next to the ocean we have the A/C running all year long!
I want to sell it. If somebody has any suggestions please help me.
Thanks.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. May. 23, 2011 10:24 am

canarias7 wrote:Hi, does somebody knows if there is a stove dealer in the South Florida area?
I have a Modern Glenwood 16 that my husband brought from NY a few years ago,
but I live in Miami Beach next to the ocean we have the A/C running all year long!
I want to sell it. If somebody has any suggestions please help me.
Thanks.
Take a few pictures of it and get back to us! :)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”