Coal and Wood Parlor Stove Question

FarmKid
Location: Midway between Buffalo, NY and Erie, PA - "Lake Effect" Country

Post by FarmKid » Thu. Mar. 31, 2011 10:30 am

I am in process of refurbishing a Germer 216 parlor "airblast" stove and curious if any members have experience with antique parlor stoves. I will use wood mainly because I have a 50 acre forest, but would like to have the option of 'banking it up" in cold weather next year.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Mar. 31, 2011 10:48 am

Ohhhhh, you've come to the right place for all that. Be patient ;) Welcome to the Forum. Put where you're from in your profile so people can get an idea of performance questions down the road or close to you places for parts if you need any. Nobody's gonna steal ya. toothy---pretty stove, nice scroll work in the cast--Made in Erie, Pa???--farmkid, post some pix of it as your restore progresses--people here love pix :)

FarmKid

Post by FarmKid » Thu. Mar. 31, 2011 8:47 pm

I will do that as soon as I figure out how to bring up my profile. I live in Cassadaga, NY about halfway between Buffalo, NY and Erie, PA. I am smack-dab in the middle of lake-effect country and love it. Grew up on a dairy farm and we had a Round Oak Duplex which heated the entire house. Have a pix as I received it a few weeks ago. Will post.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Mar. 31, 2011 9:17 pm

top left--next to message thing & log in & out thing--user control panel--then top hit profile--Yep, I know all about lake effect--I love winter, but, this one's wearing me thin :( --

FarmKid

Post by FarmKid » Thu. Mar. 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Got it, thanks.

Only part missing is a part of the grate called the "fork". Tried several places and they want to sell me all three components. I've got a friend with a machine shop so I am 'reverse engineering' it out of a slab of grey iron. Should work O.K.

What I'm curious about is how to use the drafts........there are 2 in the base, 1 on the top door and one on the back at the base of the smokestack. :?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Apr. 01, 2011 11:08 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Just like freetown fred said, with photos of your stove, draft doors, installation setup...it will be easier to answer your questions and help you. Salutations from Canada
nortcan

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Apr. 01, 2011 11:57 am

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Germer stoves were made in Erie PA and they were in business for about 50 years or so. Even though you only need one piece to the grate I would suggest that you go ahead and buy a complete replacement set because if you use the stove at some point you will need it. I'm not sure if you have an oak stove or a base burner. Please post some detailed pictures and we can go from there. If you are going to burn wood in it you will need to get a register plate to place in the stove on top of the grates. Again we need to see some pictures.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Apr. 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Okay, I found out some information about the Germer Air Blast. The design came out in 1902 as a product to burn Bituminous coal efficiently and cleanly. If your stove is one of these then it has a draft at the bottom of the stove to allow air to enter there and be heated as it passes in direct contact with the super heated fire pot. The heated secondary air then enters around a ring at the top of the fire pot to burn off the volatile gasses produced by Bituminous coal. This design is very similar to the Glenwood Base Heaters and Florence Hot Blast stoves. On your stove you should have a damper that controls the amount of air to be admitted to the heated air tubes around the fire pot. These stoves like most stoves from this era are a superb example of advanced concept, design and efficiency. As soon as I can see some pictures of it we can tell exactly what you have there.

FarmKid

Post by FarmKid » Sun. Apr. 17, 2011 10:43 pm

I got the "fork" back from the machine shop and it works like a charm. What is a 'register' plate, where does it go and what does it do? Is the assumption that too many embers would fall through the coal grates? I was talking with another person about their Germer and he said the grates in his looked like they came out of a BBQ grill???? Could that be what he has?

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Apr. 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Click on the link below and you can see a register plate. Your stove is a coal stove, not a wood stove. The grates are designed for burning coal. You can burn wood in it just fine, but; a register plate will set up the stove for wood burning by setting up the proper air proportions to burn wood and it is to hold the coals up against the wood so it burns more efficiently.

See this thread for a photo of a register plate. It is a flat piece of cast iron with slots in it on one side. The register plate lays on top of the coal grate. You put it in when you want to burn wood and just take it out when you are finished burning wood.

Got the Glenwood Base Burner Installed & Tested Last Night

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Apr. 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Here is a photo of a Germer Radiant Home No 216. A very nice stove. This is a perfect stove for Bituminous burning. So you folks that burn Bituminous need not be left out if you want a beautiful and efficient stove. They all wern't made just for Anthracite.

Attachments

radiant_home_no_216_ztz8.jpg

Germer 216

.JPG | 44.6KB | radiant_home_no_216_ztz8.jpg

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 6:59 am

FarmKid wrote:I will do that as soon as I figure out how to bring up my profile. I live in Cassadaga, NY about halfway between Buffalo, NY and Erie, PA. I am smack-dab in the middle of lake-effect country and love it. Grew up on a dairy farm and we had a Round Oak Duplex which heated the entire house. Have a pix as I received it a few weeks ago. Will post.
We had a Round Oak Duplex. I always assumed it was made by Round Oak. The Duplex part of the name must have been what distinguished it from an actual Round Oak stove. The Round Oak Duplex was box like, not round.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 8:42 am

NIce looking stove. Can you take some photos of the side and insides? It would help in knowing more about how your particular stove might be set-up.

dj

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 1:05 pm

wsherrick wrote:Here is a photo of a Germer Radiant Home No 216. A very nice stove. This is a perfect stove for Bituminous burning. So you folks that burn Bituminous need not be left out if you want a beautiful and efficient stove. They all wern't made just for Anthracite.
Can you tell us the differences this stove have compared to an other base burner?
Thanks, nortcan

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 8:56 pm

nortcan wrote:
wsherrick wrote:Here is a photo of a Germer Radiant Home No 216. A very nice stove. This is a perfect stove for Bituminous burning. So you folks that burn Bituminous need not be left out if you want a beautiful and efficient stove. They all wern't made just for Anthracite.
Can you tell us the differences this stove have compared to an other base burner?
Thanks, nortcan
This is not a base burner, but an Oak Stove (direct draft). What makes it special is that it has a secondary air ring just like the Glenwood does so it can provide hot secondary air to burn off the hydrocarbons present in Bituminous coal. This stove would burn Anthracite well too.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”