Magazine for Base Burners

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi. When I was at Bryant Stove store I saw a Kalamazoo stove. For those who don't know these stoves, they look like my Golden Bride but bigger, much more bigger. What surprised me on that stove was that it was having a sort of pipe inside of it looking like a magazine. Having just a fast photo of it, I emailed at them to ask if they could send me detailed photos of the coal chute/magazine and asked if I can use the photos on the forum. I'm waiting the permission for that. The photos of the chute/magazine are very good. So I thought someone could be interested in these photos showing the chute/magazine.
I join photos from the book I got form them with my stove (needing some zooming). There is a short description of the magazine found in the Grander Stoves but the photos from Bryant are to my advise very instructive on the magazine. I saw on the phot. a sort of spaces or exits at the top, I think it is for gasses relief, also the inside of the magazine...
nortcan
Golden book 001.jpg

Old book

.JPG | 149.7KB | Golden book 001.jpg

Attachments

coal magazine 001.jpg
.JPG | 129.8KB | coal magazine 001.jpg
coal magazine 2 001.jpg
.JPG | 138.7KB | coal magazine 2 001.jpg

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 9:48 pm

From the Catalog it looks like these stoves were top notch products. The price for the smaller Radiant Bride at $ 48 dollars was BIG bucks in 1899. All of these stoves had magazines in them when they were new as did your Golden Bride. Over time the bottom portion of the magazine burns out many years of use and was designed to be replaced with a new one as necessary. Many people also bought these stoves second hand after the original owners moved or invested in a central heating system in the decades following and so the stove was no longer the beautiful focal point of some one's home, it became just an old stove. The main point being that the magazines were taken out so bituminous or wood could be burned in these stoves with the result that the stove, if it survived the abuse of improper fuels and improper operation; came through time to us without its magazine.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Oops, double post.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Mar. 08, 2011 5:48 pm

some details from a Kalamazoo stove having a magazine. I saw the stove in Bryant's store. Very big!

Attachments

coal chute Kalamazoo 001.jpg

view of the chute/magazine

.JPG | 57.8KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 001.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 002.jpg
.JPG | 55.8KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 002.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 006.jpg

inside view of the top of the coal bin

.JPG | 41.1KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 006.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 014.jpg

inside view of the coal bin where you load the coal to fed into the coal chute

.JPG | 36.9KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 014.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 009.jpg

dome

.JPG | 47KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 009.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 010.jpg

showing how the lid raises as you move the dome

.JPG | 36.2KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 010.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 011.jpg
.JPG | 34.9KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 011.jpg
coal chute Kalamazoo 012.jpg
.JPG | 44.7KB | coal chute Kalamazoo 012.jpg

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Mar. 08, 2011 7:48 pm

That set up can hold enough coal to last for several days, maybe even almost a week on one loading if the stove is running on idle. The moveable portion at the bottom is adjustable for different sizes of coal. I had one like that on my Anchor Oak stove back in Knoxville. By the time I got it the adustable portion was rusted in place.
Now that you have seen some of these stoves in person, you can appreciate how sophisticated these master pieces are.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Mar. 08, 2011 9:43 pm

wsherrick wrote:That set up can hold enough coal to last for several days, maybe even almost a week on one loading if the stove is running on idle. The moveable portion at the bottom is adjustable for different sizes of coal. I had one like that on my Anchor Oak stove back in Knoxville. By the time I got it the adustable portion was rusted in place.
Now that you have seen some of these stoves in person, you can appreciate how sophisticated these master pieces are.
Yes and I think that if someone want to be honest for a minute and forget the stove he has now and take a few time to study all what these stove bring now after more than 100 + Yrs, he must admit that they were very ingenious back then.
I show a photo of an antique stove to a friend and when he saw it he told me that: it's not a stove it's a chef- d'oeuvre, a masterpiece.
When I was in Bryant store I realized it was the first time I was eeing so many old stoves. Very interesting to visit places like that. I didn't have enought time but if I had I would have ride to the other ones in that region.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”