I Have My Base Burner (BB)

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 6:44 pm

nortcan wrote:I read somewhere :?: that there were more than 300,000 of these inserts during the old days.
But I just don't know where they all are acually :(
Fear not Pierre, A Good one will come around. I'll keep an eye out for you too while I'm looking for my baseheater.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 7:26 pm

SteveZee wrote:
nortcan wrote:I read somewhere :?: that there were more than 300,000 of these inserts during the old days.
But I just don't know where they all are acually :(
Fear not Pierre, A Good one will come around. I'll keep an eye out for you too while I'm looking for my baseheater.
Thanks Steve. Hope both of us find the best we can.
Sometime I dream of someone getting an old victorian house having an insert in it, just like the oneI want and the owner want to get rid of that useless ""coal"" insert and replace it with a ""nice"" gas fireplace. So removing the old one would make 2 persons happy :roll:

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Jan. 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Steve check your pm's for a possibility.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 12:42 pm

nortcan wrote:
SteveZee wrote: Fear not Pierre, A Good one will come around. I'll keep an eye out for you too while I'm looking for my baseheater.
Thanks Steve. Hope both of us find the best we can.
Sometime I dream of someone getting an old victorian house having an insert in it, just like the oneI want and the owner want to get rid of that useless ""coal"" insert and replace it with a ""nice"" gas fireplace. So removing the old one would make 2 persons happy :roll:
They are out there. The problem is people don't wan't an old coal stove or insert for burning coal. They want it to light a candle in and tell all their friends about their great "eye" for design and how old it is. We must beat them with a rubber hose and pull it from their non-pratical hands! Me three on finding the right stove. I guess I'm on the "list" in line for a base heater, but haven't heard anything yet. I will do a search around here Pierre, to see if any of these Victorian homes might have had the insert you are looking for. They are doing a lot of renovation in Richmond so I will try to get in touch with some of the contractors. I might know one salvage place that might have something like this and I will go there this week after work . They are not a cheap salvage company but their stuff is usually prime.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks Smokey. Very nice to have friends on the other side of the borders. Just let me know if you need some help for the rubber hose :whip:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 11:01 am

Smokey, I forgot to say that if you or someone else get some leads for an insert like shown on the previous posts, just send me a PM.
Thanks

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 6:51 pm

nortcan wrote:Smokey, I forgot to say that if you or someone else get some leads for an insert like shown on the previous posts, just send me a PM.
Thanks
Will do Pierre. I stopped by that fancy salvage yard today but no luck . There are some other places im going to check for you. I found some parts though that reminded me of your bride .
I don't know what stove they go to but it interested me. I will upload the photo of the parts later.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
nortcan wrote:Smokey, I forgot to say that if you or someone else get some leads for an insert like shown on the previous posts, just send me a PM.
Thanks
Will do Pierre. I stopped by that fancy salvage yard today but no luck . There are some other places im going to check for you. I found some parts though that reminded me of your bride .
I don't know what stove they go to but it interested me. I will upload the photo of the parts later.
Did you say that you saw parts that reminded you my bride?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyways thanks for the efforts.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Image it has a bunch of doors with mica but no body for the stove or else I would have bought it.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Yes some similitudes with my Bride and probably a double heater. Many stoves were looking the same at a certain time. There were so many stove manufacturers that they were sometime copying each others and some others were working together making almost the same stove except for just a few small details and name on it.
Ex: the Golden Bride and the Merry Bride and the Penn Garnet.

Attachments

DSC03085.JPG

Golden Bride

.JPG | 159.8KB | DSC03085.JPG
merry_bride_open_door.jpg

Merry Bride

.JPG | 234.7KB | merry_bride_open_door.jpg
003.jpg

Penn Garnet

.JPG | 83.4KB | 003.jpg

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Jan. 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Pierre I have Just come across quite a few salvage places today I will be visiting them soon, hopefully I will find something for you and maybe stumble across something for myself ;)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Jan. 25, 2012 11:03 am

Smokeyja wrote:Pierre I have Just come across quite a few salvage places today I will be visiting them soon, hopefully I will find something for you and maybe stumble across something for myself ;)
Super Smokeyja.
If you could make 2 persons happy, that would be the best... :roll:
Thanks
They called them: Windsor, Baltimore and Sexton fireplace insert heaters. Not as efficient as a Base Burner but good for my situation.

Attachments

6-Windsor.jpg

Fireplace insert model

.JPG | 38.3KB | 6-Windsor.jpg

wilderness

Post by wilderness » Sun. Jan. 29, 2012 7:48 pm

just redid same stove os the one photographed - I hate to say it but mine looks 10x nicer with all the nickel plated extras - someone painted over original pieces in photo'd stove - I don't know what its worth but im sure its worth a decent amount- all my numbers on the pieces are related to each other- stove was actually being used when I possesed it - have original mica but want to replace it new - does this diminish the value? any help would be helpful - new to the forum thanks vince

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Jan. 29, 2012 8:11 pm

wilderness wrote:just redid same stove os the one photographed - I hate to say it but mine looks 10x nicer with all the nickel plated extras - someone painted over original pieces in photo'd stove - I don't know what its worth but im sure its worth a decent amount- all my numbers on the pieces are related to each other- stove was actually being used when I possesed it - have original mica but want to replace it new - does this diminish the value? any help would be helpful - new to the forum thanks vince
Welcome on the forum wilderness.
You reffer to the photo...........but to wich one?
And could you send some photos of your 10X nicer one, we love the nice stoves here.
About your mica's question, I think that changing original mica don't change the value of a stove. lots of antique stoves have new mica on them. If you'r not shure of that you could replace the mica with new ones and keep the original ones. So if one day someone want to get your stove you will be able to say that you have the original parts.
But if you use the stove for heating you home new or original mica doesn't make any difference except the new ones are clear.
Maybe some stove collectors have different opinions :?:

wilderness

Post by wilderness » Sun. Jan. 29, 2012 9:58 pm

i will post some pics when I figure out how - lol - I shouldnt say 10x nicier than anyones stove but this came out beautiful - I spent 10 days steel wooling every piece - 6 coats of airless sprayed paint stove black - my buddy runs a plating company - and had all ornate pieces including base nickel plated - all original - I hate to part with it - can be used for heating but I did it as a project - don't know diddily about its worth or year made - all info points to late 1800's early 1900's - reaaly cool and intricate piece of americana - pics coming soon I hope

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”