I Have My Base Burner (BB)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 3:05 pm

[quote="wsherrick"]The doors except for the one you mentioned are already virtually airtight without the gasket, but; I understand the desire. There's not a thing wrong with what you are doing and it gives you the confidence of applying the tried and familiar with the new and unfamiliar. And if there are any tiny leaks you have taken care of them.[/qu
Just a question about that: I saw that there were some stoves named Air Thight Stoves. Was it a stove company or a stove conception? Were they different from other stoves. Thanks
nortcan
Last edited by nortcan on Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 4:24 pm

nortcan wrote:
wsherrick wrote:The doors except for the one you mentioned are already virtually airtight without the gasket, but; I understand the desire. There's not a thing wrong with what you are doing and it gives you the confidence of applying the tried and familiar with the new and unfamiliar. And if there are any tiny leaks you have taken care of them.[/qu
Just a question about that: I saw that there were some stoves named Air Thight Stoves. Was it a stove company or a stove concention? Were they different from other stoves. Thanks
nortcan
Some stoves had the name, "airtight," in the name of the stove to advertise it. An example is a Moore's airtight. Of course a lot of cheap stoves like box heaters and cannon heaters were not air tight and no one expected them to be. A highly engineered base burner is a different story however. When you bought one it was expected to have the doors and other parts properly fitted and made to a high standard. Of course time and neglect not to mention abuse all take their toll on something. You are giving your stove the love it needs to work just like it did when first made. I'm very pleased with what you are doing with the Golden Bride and I can't wait to hear how it operates. Of course I expect a video. :D

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Will. Thanks for the good words. I like what I'm doing on my stove and also hope it could helps someone else or gives some ideas. I take a lot of ideas on this forum. Very often an idea brings an other very different idea.
For the video question, I'm looking for a good performer, so you if the job interests you, you get it. I know that it would cost me a lot to have a video pro like you but I can get a longer mortage to absorb the expenses lol.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi. Here is an other method I use to seal the Mica on my stove. Because some gaps between the widows and the back supports are sometime more important , when the mica are just fixed to the door's side it's easy to get it loose when touched with fingers.

So I place a layer of H.T. red silicone on the contour of the windows support, the side that will press on the Mica. The red silicon is rubber like, it takes the shapes and hold the Mica very firmly but is still soft for the Mica. On the door's side, I put a layer of clear rope gasket cement but I wait a longer time to let the cement get hardened a little more than when making gasket seals. If the cement is not dry enough, the cement spreads on the Mica on the outside.

Attachments

DSC03017.JPG

Support with red silicone

.JPG | 129.1KB | DSC03017.JPG
DSC03020.JPG

Door side

.JPG | 114.9KB | DSC03020.JPG
DSC03027.JPG

Door S. with cement on 2 windows

.JPG | 110.8KB | DSC03027.JPG
DSC03028.JPG

Door with Mica on

.JPG | 140.6KB | DSC03028.JPG

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 8:03 pm

After you get all of this sealing and gasketing done. You must remember to allow for some expansion and contraction. Don't forget to light a few charcoal fires to cure the stove and let the various parts expand to fit their new tolerances. You don't want to use wood to start your fires because the smoke will cloud up your windows. Charcoal will do just fine and dust and ash can be easily wiped off with a soft cloth and some windex.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 11:35 am

wsherrick wrote:After you get all of this sealing and gasketing done. You must remember to allow for some expansion and contraction. Don't forget to light a few charcoal fires to cure the stove and let the various parts expand to fit their new tolerances. You don't want to use wood to start your fires because the smoke will cloud up your windows. Charcoal will do just fine and dust and ash can be easily wiped off with a soft cloth and some windex.
Good ideas but how do I start a fire from charcoal? I neve used it before. And Windex is not too hard for the Mica? Is it the product you use on your's?
Thanks

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Here ya go: How to Light a Hand Fired Coal Stove

26 pages of how to start a fire. :)

Greg L

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 7:37 pm

LsFarm wrote:Here ya go: How to Light a Hand Fired Coal Stove

26 pages of how to start a fire. :)

Greg L
Well, I think I din't said it correctly. What I was trying to say was that I never did start a fire with charcoal like William suggested to me on his last post. His idea was to start a fire without having soot on the Mica. I will read the pages and see if someone talked about the charcoal method.
Thanks Greg. I must leave you now = 26 pages to read.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 10:23 pm

If you watched my video about starting a fire in the Glenwood I showed how to start it with Charcoal. It is really easy and quick.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 10:31 pm

I will look at the vid. tomorrow. The last video I have in my head is the one you made with the S. Argant. So I will have the pleasure to have movies tomorrow night.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Apr. 08, 2011 8:32 am

Nortcan, I start my fire with Cowboy Brand Charcoal. Like Will says. Its real easy. I usually put 1/2 a bag in then when it starts to turn red I add anthracite in small amounts until there is about 4" of coal then I fill the rest of the stove.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Apr. 08, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:Nortcan, I start my fire with Cowboy Brand Charcoal. Like Will says. Its real easy. I usually put 1/2 a bag in then when it starts to turn red I add anthracite in small amounts until there is about 4" of coal then I fill the rest of the stove.
IOF. Thanks. I was thinking that Cowboy Brand was a green pants maker LOL. Really, I thought that it was a sort of small pieces of wood for kindling a fire, sold in bags.
I will see if we have that kind of product here in Qc.
Is it the same product used for BBQ cooking?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Apr. 09, 2011 12:41 pm

William, I watched all your videos on the Glenwood. Always something to learn from them. Is the kerosene used to light the anthracite is an explosive/dangerous product? On the vid. it doesn't seem to be but just want to make sure I will still have a Golden Bride after the first match.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Apr. 09, 2011 1:36 pm

nortcan wrote:William, I watched all your videos on the Glenwood. Always something to learn from them. Is the kerosene used to light the anthracite is an explosive/dangerous product? On the vid. it doesn't seem to be but just want to make sure I will still have a Golden Bride after the first match.
The Kerosene is used to light the Charcoal. Kerosene is not explosive or dangerous if you use it on a COLD stove with NO fire in it. It will not burn until a flame is touched to it. And you only need a tiny bit of it maybe an ounce tops.

You can also use the self lighting charcoal if you want to.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sat. Apr. 09, 2011 11:43 pm

nortcan........ Hardwood Lump Charcoal. Cowboy is the brand name but there are other companies that make the lump charcoal. I put a few drops of the Gel Fire Starter on the lump charcoal and spread it on the pieces with my finger, seems to stay on the charcoal this way. Shredded paper on the bottom. Lump charcoal with little bit of starter gel on top, light her up, and we have ignition. I have also used Matchlite Charcoal to do this in the past but it seems to stink up the house.The lump charcoal does a better job in my opinion.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”