I Have My Base Burner (BB)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Feb. 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Yes the stove looks nice but how much more X ??? That's the question. 8-)
Why don't you keep it and use it for heating? What is the fire pot diameter?
How much do you want for it?

wilderness

Post by wilderness » Wed. Feb. 01, 2012 9:18 pm

yes it has a magazine yes it has a 90degree burner - it has it all fellas seein is believen = zoom in take a better look she is a beauty maybe not 10x nicier than your stoves but I bet a little nicer than ya thought alotta time refinishin this piece of americana - someone tell me what she might be worth if it all was there and it checked out in great condition as I feel it is - lets pretend it is what I say - what is she worth -

smithy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Columbia
Baseburners & Antiques: Chicago Stove Works home perfect 214
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by smithy » Wed. Feb. 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Well you got a stove there maby 12" - 13" firepot . Now I am no authority on stoves butt that hasemt prevented me from sharing my opinions. First you got six coats of paint on the parts after steelwooling for days. My stove took 10 hours of sandblasting to remove some well intended paint. Also did you paint then assemble ? Or did you use refractory cement against clean fresh iron. Did you slow cure the stove before painting if not then it needs redone.
I have a friend looking for a mica baseburner but he will need a big one. If its all you say it is parts wise
I would say 1100.00

wilderness

Post by wilderness » Wed. Feb. 01, 2012 10:16 pm

wow - na I didnt recement anything - 10 hours of sandblasting -wow must have been a mess - I did it for show not glow - thanks for the info - ill take 2k

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Feb. 01, 2012 10:18 pm

wilderness, it would be nice if you could send some more photos showing the interior of the stove, the grate and fire pot, the back of the stove...., all you could send can help to sell it.
Are the ash pit door and the finial original parts of the stove? Can be checked from the numbers series.
Thanks

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Feb. 01, 2012 11:21 pm

If the stove was NOT recemented, then it is not functional. It must be taken apart and reassembled, and sealed. If the joint surfaces are painted, the cement will likely not stick well..

Yes, more detailed photos so a person can see all the details needed to assess the functional condition of the stove.

Greg L

Now that you have choosen a price, have you listed the stove in the forum classifieds?

Greg L

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Wed. Feb. 01, 2012 11:38 pm

2k for a non functional stove? I think you are going to end up keeping that stove. Hope it goes well with your decor. I don't mean to be rude or anything but that is a mighty steep price for a less than ideal stove restor. I think Smithy's assesment is more realistic. I would put it into the $900-1200 range if it was functional considering what the buyer would have to do to remove the 6 layers of paint and resealing and relining of the stove. $800 would be my offer as it sits. Sorry mate. :o

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Feb. 02, 2012 2:10 am

You have to understand that to me and many others, a base burner is not a designer piece to sit in the corner and collect dust. It was meant to heat the house and do it very well. These stoves although they are beautiful and to many unknowing people only quaint antiques, are masterpieces of engineering. They are among the most scientifically advanced, efficient, heating appliances ever made. They are works of genius. Their superior performance exceeds their outside beauty.
People here value them for that aspect as much or more than how they look. The stoves are meant to be used as they were designed to be used and be the center piece of the home. To use a high end base burner for a plant holder or nothing but a curiosity piece is a horrible waste.
You have to understand that, so don't be offended. Just learn from what others are saying to you. A stove, "restored," for appearance is not restored.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Feb. 02, 2012 9:23 am

wilderness,
I must agree with the previous posts. If the stove is not dis-assembled and all checked for cracks...re-sealed and re-assembled like it was when originally built, a stove could be a nice stove but a DANGEROUS stove. Just have a look at Stovehospital site and read how much care they must take to get a stove back to its original condition!
I don't know you but rebuid an antique stove is an art in some way.

wilderness

Post by wilderness » Thu. Feb. 02, 2012 7:57 pm

yes I see that now - thank you all for your responses - first of all I didnt know diddly about stoves - well now I know a little bit more - secondly to take it apart and recement it wouldnt be that hard I could realistically take it apart and recement a few seems cast iron to cast iron in a few work sessions. one thing really cool about taking on this project is the awesome way these things were built - simplicity of functionality and efficiency just outstanding - all heavy duty with a touch of art and labeling all in one - I never realized the interest in these units until tryin to peddle it after finishing it- I am anal and pay attention to detail and now wish I would have researched this before refurbishing. I admittedly am not as interested in burning and heating as you guys in which I truly appreciate. I know that this one would be stunning when in order. it was being used when I took her. I wont sell it for 800-1200 no way it is way to awesome for that. I do feel guilty now that I am not gonna use her as you people really desire and that it should be used not just looked at. thanks again for all your help and posts - I guess ya learn something new everyday - vince

smithy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Columbia
Baseburners & Antiques: Chicago Stove Works home perfect 214
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by smithy » Thu. Feb. 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Well Vince let me tell ya I don't know diddle about stoves either except that when its cold outside and that baseheater is rolling the warmth sinks clear to the bone. I built my own place with state of the art radiant floor heat. passive south exposer low e windows with pumps controllers and the whole nine yards. And nothing compares fillet forget it and take out the ash. When the weather warms up the chimney draft slows and the stove cools a bit, automatily no heat antisipator or set points outside thermostat simple physics .

Guess as I get older simple things rule! Good smoke hot coffee happy wife.
Cheers

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Fri. Feb. 03, 2012 8:58 am

Wilderness, I'm glad you could take the criticism constructively. If you can match the restoration of the looks by restoring it to a usable condition, the proper way, then you can get a good price for it. If you wish to do this, plenty of us on the forum will help guide you in properly restoring it to a functional and safe condition. The information is free and you'll make some friends on here too. Who knows maybe you will want to try your hand at using the stove your self.

Cheers mate.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Feb. 03, 2012 9:16 am

wilderness,
Yes that would be great to have the restoration process of your stove on the forum. I like the photos from Bryant when restoring mine. Gives many infos on the inside of these stoves.
But if you want absolutly sell it, you can go at For Sale & Wanted at the lower part of the board on this forum.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Fri. Feb. 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Wilderness did you ever say your location, that may help to move the stove if your intent on selling ?

I have a pellet stove I would trade you :D

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Feb. 03, 2012 9:55 pm

echos67 wrote:Wilderness did you ever say your location, that may help to move the stove if your intent on selling ?

I have a pellet stove I would trade you :D
echos, you'r a wise guy, a pellet stove :lol:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”