I Have My Base Burner (BB)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi. Here is the fire pot liner.
I named it a "Will" liner. You know why? 9.5" diam. at the top, yes it's a small fire pot. I will place a garbage bag in the fire pot and fill it with ant to see how many pounds it holds. With that number I'm sure someone here will be able to tell the BTU output of the stove.

Attachments

DSC03353.JPG
.JPG | 119.1KB | DSC03353.JPG
DSC03355.JPG
.JPG | 105.6KB | DSC03355.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. May. 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Nice neat job. I am glad you made it fairly thick as I do believe that the better insulated the fire pot is the easier it is to get complete combustion.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks Franco.
I also think like you said about the thickness of a liner/fire pot for a better combustion efficiency. In my Vig II, the combustion chamber is much more thicker than originally. Probably an other modif making it so efficient and easy to use. Now I hope the next Winter is coming soon. LOL
nortcan

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. May. 30, 2011 2:58 am

A beautiful job with the liner. Have you noticed how easy it is to work on these stoves? How they designed every part to be removed, maintained or replaced very easily? The thought that went into every detail of these masterpieces never ceases to amaze me. And, thanks for the compliment by the way.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Mon. May. 30, 2011 10:02 am

nortcan wrote:Hi. Here is the fire pot liner.
I named it a "Will" liner. You know why? 9.5" diam. at the top, yes it's a small fire pot. I will place a garbage bag in the fire pot and fill it with ant to see how many pounds it holds. With that number I'm sure someone here will be able to tell the BTU output of the stove.
That will hold 20-25 lbs of coal when it is "coned up". Who cares what the BTU output is (probably around 40-50000 BTU per hour)? it is going to provide plenty of efficient heating for the location you have chosen. You are probably going to have to move that piano. :)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. May. 30, 2011 10:51 am

wsherrick wrote:A beautiful job with the liner. Have you noticed how easy it is to work on these stoves? How they designed every part to be removed, maintained or replaced very easily? The thought that went into every detail of these masterpieces never ceases to amaze me. And, thanks for the compliment by the way.
Thanks Will. You know, I was really going for the full top to bottom liner but what made me change was because you have the same syst. in your nice Stanley A. lot of people talk about things... but don't have experienced what they say.... Talking about your Stanley A. do you use both grates to shake the ash out, when you burn it on cold days?
And you'r all right for the way they made stoves at these times. I had 5 stoves(new ones) before the BB and none come near the conception of these antique stoves. And I was thinking all the opposite before calming me and taking time to study all I could read about them. These stoves have certainly something others stoves don't have.
Giving your name to the fire pot desing had 2 reasons: if it work fine I will think to you and if it does'n I will also think to you LOL.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. May. 30, 2011 11:08 am

Lobsterman, thanks for the reply. WOW, 20/25 pounds of ant? The fire pot makes only: 9.5" Diam at the top, 8.5"Diam at the bottom and is 7.75" H. Getting 1.5 to 2 Kw or about 5000 BTU out of it would be perfect and I hope to be able to lowere her there??? Plus that 16X10 room is North oriented, has large windows,sliding door and a good % of the heat produced from the Vig II is ducted to that room. I will direct that heat in an other direction... There is a floor register between the sliding door and the piano blowing toward the stove. So the heat from the stove may be directed away from the piano and an other cold air return register pulling out the air from that small living room. If I still have too much warm air there I can send some in the basement below that room. I will see...
In oposition to the majority of burners, I hope to have a low heat output. If I should moove the piano I will have to place it outside of the house, no more space inside...LOL. The BB has already taken the place where the Chrismas tree is usually placed.
Last edited by nortcan on Mon. May. 30, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Mon. May. 30, 2011 11:24 am

Wow that looks fantastic Norcan! Really beautiful job on the liner. Very professional. I hope mine comes out half as good!

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Mon. May. 30, 2011 11:41 am

nortcan wrote:Lobsterman, thanks for the reply. 20/25 pounds of ant? The fire pot makes only: 9.5" Diam at the top, 8.5"Diam at the bottom and is 7.75" H.There is a floor register between the sliding door and the piano and blowing toward the stove. So the heat from the stove may be directed away from the piano and an other cold air return register pulling air from that small living room. If I still have too much warm air there I can send some in the basement below that room. I will see...opposite to the majority of burners, I hope to have a low heat output. If I should moove the piano I will have to place it outside of the house, no more space inside...LOL. The BB has already taken the place where the Chrismas tree is usually placed.
Yep, it is going to be 16-18 lbs level-loaded and another 6-8 "coned-up" on top. If you burn 2 pots a day (24 hours) it is going to be about 20k BTU/hr. Three pots a day would be 30k BTU/hr, etc. Going to be plenty of heat for your intended space. You will have no problem running it on "low".

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. May. 30, 2011 11:48 am

SteveZee wrote:Wow that looks fantastic Norcan! Really beautiful job on the liner. Very professional. I hope mine comes out half as good!
Thank SteveZee.
You also can have your's twice as good as mine. Really it's not so difficult to do when you know how to get the right mixture, not too dry and not too wet. But I learned that...when all done!!!! I also was glad I made some testings before the final job.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. May. 30, 2011 11:55 am

Lobsterman, I should send a photo showing the fire pot and the gasses exits at the back of the fire pot. The exits on this stove( the direct and the base one) are located almost at the same level as the top of the fire pot. So I don't know if I will be able to cone the load??? Don't know if it's possible with that desing?
Salutations lobs.
nortcan

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. May. 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Here are the 2 gasses exits. As you can see they are about the same level as the fire pot's top.

Attachments

DSC02761.JPG
.JPG | 161.1KB | DSC02761.JPG
DSC02762.JPG
.JPG | 160.1KB | DSC02762.JPG

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Mon. May. 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Nortcan...... Nice job on the fire pot liner. You should have no problem at all heating that room. The weather is getting really nice so we better get that chimney pipe up and out that roof. :D

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. May. 31, 2011 5:42 am

nortcan wrote:
wsherrick wrote:A beautiful job with the liner. Have you noticed how easy it is to work on these stoves? How they designed every part to be removed, maintained or replaced very easily? The thought that went into every detail of these masterpieces never ceases to amaze me. And, thanks for the compliment by the way.
Thanks Will. You know, I was really going for the full top to bottom liner but what made me change was because you have the same syst. in your nice Stanley A. lot of people talk about things... but don't have experienced what they say.... Talking about your Stanley A. do you use both grates to shake the ash out, when you burn it on cold days?
And you'r all right for the way they made stoves at these times. I had 5 stoves(new ones) before the BB and none come near the conception of these antique stoves. And I was thinking all the opposite before calming me and taking time to study all I could read about them. These stoves have certainly something others stoves don't have.
Giving your name to the fire pot desing had 2 reasons: if it work fine I will think to you and if it does'n I will also think to you LOL.
I'm not too worried about it not working. I know you aren't going to start jabbing around there with a poker or abuse the stove in any way. The only time I use the center dump grate is to clean out the fire. I never run the Stanley Argand hot anymore because if I do the house gets too hot with both stoves going at the same time. By controlling the ash layer I can run the Stanley very cool on a load of 20 pounds of coal for up to 12 hours at a time. Also I keep the pipe damper shut all the way as well. When I lived in my old house back in New Hope the Stanley Heated the whole house very well, but; the burn times were around 8 hours on 25 pounds of coal as I ran the stove rather hot (around 500 degrees).

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. May. 31, 2011 12:02 pm

buck24 wrote:Nortcan...... Nice job on the fire pot liner. You should have no problem at all heating that room. The weather is getting really nice so we better get that chimney pipe up and out that roof. :D
Thanks buck24.
I know I should leave the Bride and get up on the roof but something is always stopping me??? I know that the chimney will be horrible to look at but I don't have the choice...

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”